Spyder Garage

Cool Can't quite decide between Spyder and Ryker

I'm looking to join the Can-Am family, but I just can't decide between the Ryker 900 Sport or the F3-S. I'm not into long road trips. I get my pleasure carving canyons .

Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. Without price playing a factor, which one can I mod to be the best in the curves and quick in a straight line. To be clear on the quick part, I'm not looking for top speed, but the passing speed and that 10mph+ roll on the throttle quickness.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos and it seems that there is a lot that you can do with both bikes.

Thanks for your help with my midlife crisis choices!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

F3S hands down faster, way better suspension and aftermarket upgrades mods. The Ryker is way ahead for off road stuff i.e. dirt roads and I would say the Ryker Rally is the best in that class.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

first time poster.

CS is right on....but, we are all a bit different. Only YOU will know which one is the one that turns your crank. Test drive both and go from there.

We shall be watching for your announcement, with pictures, showing the one you decide on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    first time poster.

CS is right on....but, we are all a bit different. Only YOU will know which one is the one that turns your crank. Test drive both and go from there.

We shall be watching for your announcement, with pictures, showing the one you decide on.
    with both posters above .... the Rykers are like 3/4 size Spyders ... They are something that works if you already have a Spyder.... but IMHO they are very limited in what they offer .... and Rykers MUST have the drive belt ( to the CVT ) re-placed every 12,000 mi. and the belts are not cheap even if you do the work ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm an RT guy myself but I have to say, go for the F3 hands down, go ride both and then make your decision, good luck ��
    2020 Spyder Rt Limited in Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

The F3, is more sophisticated, Ryker is a dirtbike, on three wheels, 100% Fun, while the F3, is more versatile, it is just what suits you...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default On or Off Road

....I have to agree with what others have already posted.

Your Turn, Go for the One that you can enjoy.

Good Luck on Your Mission. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I wasn't sure what kind of riding I wanted to do, so I bought the Ryker back in 2019. I had a blast with it but decided to upgrade to an RT since I enjoy longer rides and like the comfort. If money isn't an issue, I'd go with the F3-S. After riding the Ryker for 3 years, when I sat on the F3 it felt (to me) a lot like a bigger, stronger, more sophisticated Ryker. Go someplace where you can sit on (and hopefully test ride) each, then make a decision.
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

The Ryker is the cheapest way out and can be modified for two up, and long hauling if you want to, but for the most part out of the box it's a little rocket that's just plain fun to jump on and bomb around in, the 900 has plenty of get up and go!! The F3 on the other hand will cost you more but is pretty much turnkey for most any adventure your up for! I would test drive both, or find some place you maybe could rent one for a day and put some miles on it and see witch one fits you better! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am another vote for the F3. I have done a couple of demo rides on the ryker, but being a big guy (6'-2", 260), it would not be for me in the long run. My wife just got her license and we picked up a nice used F3T for her. But if we had been able to get our hands on a ryker, I would love to have one for me to ride whenever she isn't on it. In my opinion, the ryker just appears to be a more affordable option for riding around town, or just having fun on short spirited rides. But to each their own.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If you haven't, definitely sit on them. Before we bought my wife's RT, we visited the local dealer and for her the Ryker was an absolute non starter for fit and comfort. I didn't mind it as much and I have been thinking about adding a "smaller" bike to my collection and the Ryker has been on the list. I wouldn't long haul on it, but something smaller for around town and short day trips would just be another option for me.
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I'm in the middle of my 3-wheel class right now, wherein I am riding a Ryker 900 and a Spyder F3T back-to-back.

I'd basically compare them like a sports car vs. a lux/sport sedan.

The Ryker is definitely the smaller, more "playful" of the two. You sit a bit lower, and it just feels more physically engaging.
    The Spyder is the more refined bigger brother. It's still quite quick, but you sit up a bit higher and feel a little more isolated from the road.

Based on your described desire to go canyon carving and sporting around, I'd opt for the Ryker (with a 900 motor). It's way more of a hooligan machine...

Later,
    EV
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Agree with all the posters above.

I believe you have to think long and hard on what you'll be doing with this machine: touring ?? around town riding ?? a bit of hooliganism ????

Only then will you be able to arrive on an informed decision.

Good luck, and post the machine you finally ended up with !!
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Once I finally talked my wife into riding her own bike, she bought a Ryker 900 and rode the crap out of it. She really loved it for the first year....but after riding a few cold days, on long rides, with minimal storage and protection, she rode our RT. It didn't take long for her to trade the Ryker for her own RT for all of the forementioned reasons...It depends what style of riding you do. If you're gonna on day rides ripping around with no need to take much with you, the Ryker 900 might be the ticket. but, if longer rides that require a bit more comfort, maybe some luggage, or even groceries, the F3 or RT are gonna be the better long term investment
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EchoVictor View Post
    I'm in the middle of my 3-wheel class right now, wherein I am riding a Ryker 900 and a Spyder F3T back-to-back.

I'd basically compare them like a sports car vs. a lux/sport sedan.

The Ryker is definitely the smaller, more "playful" of the two. You sit a bit lower, and it just feels more physically engaging.
    The Spyder is the more refined bigger brother. It's still quite quick, but you sit up a bit higher and feel a little more isolated from the road.

Based on your described desire to go canyon carving and sporting around, I'd opt for the Ryker (with a 900 motor). It's way more of a hooligan machine...

Later,
    EV
    I'm definitely more of a hooligan. In my younger days, I rode a GSXR 750 and lived in Las Vegas where canyon carving was a weekend hobby. I'm older now and want to make the safer choice and ride three wheels, but I still want something playful. I believe what is making the choice hard for me is that the Ryker seems to be more playful, but the Spyder appears to be quicker. That is what the butt dyno is telling me. However, it is hard to tell on a 15-minute test ride.

Spyder Garage

Well, the Ryker is 82hp pushing 642lb, for a power-to-weight ratio of 1hp for every 7.8lb.

Base Spyder F3 is 115hp pushing 899lb, for a power-to-weight ratio of.....1hp per every 7.8lb

So, identical. However, Ryker 900 is only 58 ft-lb of torque, while the Spyder is 96 ft-lb.

That's likely the difference you're feeling....

Later,
    EV
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EchoVictor View Post
    Well, the Ryker is 82hp pushing 642lb, for a power-to-weight ratio of 1hp for every 7.8lb.

Base Spyder F3 is 115hp pushing 899lb, for a power-to-weight ratio of.....1hp per every 7.8lb

So, identical. However, Ryker 900 is only 58 ft-lb of torque, while the Spyder is 96 ft-lb.

That's likely the difference you're feeling....

Later,
    EV
    Having a transmission with gears makes a big difference as well.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!