Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 35 of 35
  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    5
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    https://www.vividracing.com/kenda-ka...153610937.html

    Not sure if this helps you guys or not. They are saying they have the rear tire in stock.

  2. #27
    Active Member mecsw500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    129
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    The apparently superior Kenda Kanine KR20 tire is imported and distributed by Tucker.com. They have hundreds of dealers across the nation. You can see the list of dealers on their website. Maybe at least one of the Tucker dealers nearest you has the tire, or can get it from one of the distribution warehouses for Tucker, for you.

    You never know, one of their dealers may be willing to fit one for less. In some parts of the world, KR20's are used on Smart cars, so I don't think the problem is a manufacture date issue as much as an arrival at a Can Am's spares facility issue, but I might be wrong.

    I think Can Am would want to supply new tires as fast as they can, their dealers make money from them, Can Am makes money from them, idle Spyders don't get serviced and don't consume parts. Not supplying tires until July has to be a headache for Can Am and not a situation they would like to find themselves in either. The bad customer relationships this causes, and the problem with retaining Can Am customers long term, has to be as big an issue for Can Am as it is for us. Why buy Can Am supplied farkles if you can't buy a tire and can't use the vehicle?

    The KR20 is supposed to be an improvement on the original OEM tire, yet designed specifically for the Spyder. I cannot think, considering the non availability of the originals, that Can Am could possibly have much problem with fitting something designed by their OEM supplier to fit a Spyder, but there again I'm not sure if Can Am regards the KR20 as an OEM fitment or not?
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

  3. #28
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    12,191
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Here is the information I have. Can't verify it but it sounds plausable.

    The original Kenda's for the Spyder are less than optimal (being kind). BRP had a patent on them (and probably a 'No Compete' as well) and Kenda was obligated to honor that for the standard period of 12 years. When that timed out Kenda decided to make a better tire for the Spyder and started producing them sometime in 2020. Kenda is (or was) based in Taiwan. Worried that China is going to take this nation soon, Kenda decided to move production to Vietnam. That was about the time that Vietnam shut the country down for Covid and everything there came to a screeching halt. Kenda still had reduced production capabilities in Taiwan but concentrated on their high volume products. Spyder tires definitely not fitting into that category.

    I have had the Kenda Kanines on backorder since February of last year. For quite some time there was no projected arrival date. Around February of this year we received a projected delivery date of sometime in April. When we got close to that date they bumped it back a week and they have been doing this ever since. Right now it shows availability on 05/13. But I won't be surprise if before that date, it gets moved to 05/20. It's like the word maņana. It doesn't really mean 'Tomorrow'.

    Unscrupulous (in my opinion) web sites still list these tires and will let you 'purchase' them. Then, some time later you will get notification that they are 'Out of Stock'. (Believe me, they have been OOS for a LONG time). They leave them up because they hope they can sell you something else. I am not say that NO ONE has them. But I'd be surprised. I suggest calling first before processing a CC with whoever says they still have them.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-07-2022 at 08:43 AM.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  4. #29
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    17,588
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Here is the information I have. Can't verify it but it sounds plausable.

    The original Kenda's for the Spyder are less than optimal (being kind). BRP had a patent on them (and probably a 'No Compete' as well) and Kenda was obligated to honor that for the standard period of 12 years. When that timed out Kenda decided to make a better tire for the Spyder and started producing them sometime in 2020. Kenda is (or was) based in Taiwan. Worried that China is going to take this nation soon, Kenda decided to move production to Vietnam. That was about the time that Vietnam shut the country down for Covid and everything there came to a screeching halt. Kenda still had reduced production capabilities in Taiwan but concentrated on their high volume products. Spyder tires definitely not fitting into that category.

    I have had the Kenda Kanines on backorder since February of last year. For quite some time there was no projected arrival date. Around February of this year we received a projected delivery date of sometime in April. When we got close to that date they bumped it back a week and they have been doing this ever since. Right now it shows availability on 05/13. But I won't be surprise if before that date, it gets moved to 05/20. It's like the word maņana. It doesn't really mean 'Tomorrow'.

    Unscrupulous (in my opinion) web sites still list these tires and will let you 'purchase' them. Then, some time later you will get notification that they are 'Out of Stock'. (Believe me, they have been OOS for a LONG time). They leave them up because they hope they can sell you something else. I am not say that NO ONE has them. But I'd be surprised. I suggest calling first before processing a CC with whoever says they still have them.
    Thanks Ron, for this added bit of info ..... "mecsw500 " who posted above yours in His paragraph #2.- thinks the NEW Kanine's can be used on a " SMART " car .... frankly I find this hard to believe, because I've been told ( on this forum ) that the Kanine's are still labeled " for Special Motorcycle use ONLY ", this would actually prevent them from Legally be mounted on any Auto ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-07-2022 at 10:43 AM.

  5. #30
    Active Member FrogmanDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    232
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Here is the information I have. Can't verify it but it sounds plausable.
    Darn good information Ron!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

  6. #31
    Active Member mecsw500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    129
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks Ron, for this added bit of info ..... "mecsw500 " who posted above yours in His paragraph #2.- thinks the NEW Kanine's can be used on a " SMART " car .... frankly I find this hard to believe, because I've been told ( on this forum ) that the Kanine's are still labeled " for Special Motorcycle use ONLY ", this would actually prevent them from Legally be mounted on any Auto ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    Yes, people apparently have been known to fit the 165/65r15 KR20s to Smart cars. Smarts have used an almost infinite variety of tire sizes (and wheel sizes) in various models since they first came out. I would imagine 4 KR20s would be OK for tire loading as the Smart car is not much more than 50% heavier than a RT LTD. It would need more pressure of course. I doubt dealers would fit them, but Smarts are often modified by owners in an attempt (usually in vain) to get them to not under steer or over steer depending upon the model. Having driven a couple, I can safely say the Spyder is probably the much better handling of the two. I thought the Smart car was just plain dangerous especially in the wet, like a Reliant Robin with 4 wheels. They tried to swap ends at the slightest provocation. I think the model I read that had the KR20s fitted to it was a Passion Cabriolet and the owners were in Malaysia if I recall, as whatever their OEM tire was, they couldn't get any. In the way we look at car tire alternatives to provide better solutions, apparently some Smart car owners have been experimenting with the other way round. From what I understood, the logic is that it is felt the Smart car is too light to work well with conventional car tires as it can't get them up to a decent operating temperature and their sidewalls are too stiff (they do ride like a jackhammer to your spine). This suggests they must be able to get the KR20s from somewhere. I don't suppose those willing to experiment in such things care much about the legality of it, the same way some Gold Wing owners fit car tires to the rear of their bikes. Perhaps running them at a higher pressure than 18 psi, they might be a reasonable alternative for some Smart car models, I don't know. I just thought it was kind of funny that something we are trying to get away from as of questionable quality is something that other groups were looking to as a "performance" alternative because they are expensive (and hence "better") and they couldn't get the OEM tires because of supply chain issues.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

  7. #32
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    17,588
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post
    Yes, people apparently have been known to fit the 165/65r15 KR20s to Smart cars. Smarts have used an almost infinite variety of tire sizes (and wheel sizes) in various models since they first came out. I would imagine 4 KR20s would be OK for tire loading as the Smart car is not much more than 50% heavier than a RT LTD. It would need more pressure of course. I doubt dealers would fit them, but Smarts are often modified by owners in an attempt (usually in vain) to get them to not under steer or over steer depending upon the model. Having driven a couple, I can safely say the Spyder is probably the much better handling of the two. I thought the Smart car was just plain dangerous especially in the wet, like a Reliant Robin with 4 wheels. They tried to swap ends at the slightest provocation. I think the model I read that had the KR20s fitted to it was a Passion Cabriolet and the owners were in Malaysia if I recall, as whatever their OEM tire was, they couldn't get any. In the way we look at car tire alternatives to provide better solutions, apparently some Smart car owners have been experimenting with the other way round. From what I understood, the logic is that it is felt the Smart car is too light to work well with conventional car tires as it can't get them up to a decent operating temperature and their sidewalls are too stiff (they do ride like a jackhammer to your spine). This suggests they must be able to get the KR20s from somewhere. I don't suppose those willing to experiment in such things care much about the legality of it, the same way some Gold Wing owners fit car tires to the rear of their bikes. Perhaps running them at a higher pressure than 18 psi, they might be a reasonable alternative for some Smart car models, I don't know. I just thought it was kind of funny that something we are trying to get away from as of questionable quality is something that other groups were looking to as a "performance" alternative because they are expensive (and hence "better") and they couldn't get the OEM tires because of supply chain issues.
    ... from what I've read about the Kenda Spyder tires, they already are just about at their weight limit on an RT.;.;..;. So another 1000 + lbs ( of Smart car ) is way beyond what the Kenda's can handle.... And if the person doing an Auto inspection ( some States do have them ) and He is even Half competent, when they see " for special motorcycle use ONLY " embossed on the sidewall, do you think He's going to PASS that car???? .... Well, I'm done with this topic, you do whatever you think is best.... good luck.... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2022 at 01:57 AM. Reason: ONY = ONLY ;-)

  8. #33
    Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Peter Aawen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Australia; Sth Aust, Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    6,700
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... from what I've read about the Kenda Spyder tires, they already are just about at their weight limit on an RT.;.;..;. So another 1000 + lbs ( of Smart car ) is way beyond what the Kenda's can handle.... And if the person doing an Auto inspection ( some States do have them ) and He is even Half competent, when they see " for special motorcycle use ONLY " embossed on the sidewall, do you think He's going to PASS that car???? .... Well, I'm done with this topic, you do whatever you think is best.... good luck.... Mike
    Yeah, I'm with Mike on this - while here in Oz the MINIMUM Load/Speed Rating for Smart Cars is 77T, and running anything less than this is illegal & fairly strictly policed, the few 165/....15 Kenda Kanines that I've seen had a load/speed rating of 55H, which means their max load PER TIRE is 481 lbs, so 4 tires under an auto could carry 1924 lbs & according to goggle a 2008 Smart Car runs out to 1952 lbs curb weight & a 2017 Smart ForTwo tips the scales at 2050 lbs . So if it was down to me, even without considering the fairly high potential for poorly constructed tires from Kenda, I really wouldn't be going ANYWHERE NEAR a Smart Car running Kendas!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2022 at 07:45 AM. Reason: speed??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

    Ryde More, Worry Less!

  9. #34
    SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    INDIANA, USA
    Posts
    5,408
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Kenda Kanine Rear Tire

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...I have looked at My Kenda Kanine and it only shows the tread as 3 ply. The sidewall is only a one
    ply. This is a October 2020 made rear tire.

    This is on my Spyder. ......
    Not sure about all the fuss about this tire. I have one installed on my Spyder because that's the only tire the Dealer would install. I hope this clears up some of the confusion. ....
    My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

  10. #35
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    17,588
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Not sure about all the fuss about this tire. I have one installed on my Spyder because that's the only tire the Dealer would install. I hope this clears up some of the confusion. ....
    " fuss about this tire " ??? .... well Peter and I, and others here are aware that a weakly made tire is more likely to suffer " catastrophic " failure while driving at speed. If this occurs , I don't care that we have Three of them. IMHO bad things are going to happen. It's too bad that your dealer won't accommodate your wishes. ...... good luck ..... Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •