MetroAsian

Default PSI For Tires in General

I was wondering what all of you fill your PSI levels to for your Spyder tires and what the general rule is.

I took my flatbed trailer to get a new spare tire at a local shop and when the filled up the air they said a general rule with filling tires was 5 psi below the max pressure indicated on the tires.

What's everyone's take on this?

Spyder Garage

Default Air Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by MetroAsian View Post
    I was wondering what all of you fill your PSI levels to for your Spyder tires and what the general rule is.

I took my flatbed trailer to get a new spare tire at a local shop and when the filled up the air they said a general rule with filling tires was 5 psi below the max pressure indicated on the tires.

What's everyone's take on this?

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on tire pressure since so much depends on application. The max pressure is the pressure one can inflate to without compromising the integrity of the tire and obviously somewhere below that point would be right for you. I personally ride or drive the tires and adjust the pressure as to where it feels right to me in handling. etc. Currently I am running 18 front and 28 to 30 rear. When I install the TOYO T1R the pressure may change.

Michael
    Last edited by BLACK WIDOW; 10-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As Black Widow stated above, tire pressure depends on your preferences and riding style.

I ride quite agressively, so I have my pressure on the high end of the scale. I am also still on stock tires. The sweet spot for me I have found is 19 for the fronts, 30 on the rear. I would not go to the low end of the scale, as given by BRP. But keep it within a reasonable limit, and record your findings. You will eventually find the combination that works best for you.

You also want to consider your suspension settings. As you find the right tire pressure, don't mess with the settings you have. Do one, then the other. If you do both at the same time, it will be harder to keep track of where you thought things were "just right."

Hope this helps,
    Skidz

Spyder Garage

Default Prior Thread

There was a thread on this topic some time ago, and the general consensus from most riders then was that they are running 20 front and 30 rear. This is with the stock tires, of course. The automotive tires some are putting on will probably require a little more pressure.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

I did the 20/30 and was happy with it. Worked fine on 2 up or solo.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

I like 18-20 front and 28-30 rear. Any "cold" pressure between the minimum (if stated) and maximum printed on the sidewall may be used. Different pressures affect handling, roll resistance, and shock absorbtion. The "right" pressure for any vehicle or and rider/driver is dependent on the vehicles size and suspension characteristics, the types of roads traveled, the vehicle load, and the rider's/driver's preferences. Please note that the minimum recommended front tire pressure stated by BRP for the Spyder is below the minimum pressure stated on the sidewalls, and should not be used. As far as I know, there is no rule of thumb. Most vehicle manufacturers determine recommended pressures during prototype vehicle testing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!