Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Which one of these RT's to choose?? Choice now made - Deal Done!

Hello everybody, newbie here. I am 57 years old female and have been riding a BMW R1200T until lately. I lost my confidence in riding two wheelers due to age and due to two friends of mine who have been involved in serious accidents with one of them dying.

I am contemplating buying a Cam Am Spyder 1330 and I just test ride one.

My husband will continue riding his BMW 1200 Adventure. We have a leeisure light camping trailer. The romantic idea is to go touring with both bikes, something we haven’t done enough in the past.

I have three options:

A) a 2021 demo bike with 900 km and no extras. 2021 Can-Am SPYDER RT 1330 ACE SE6
    CAD $25,789.00, before taxes. This is the bike I test rode. I will want a trailer hitch plus at least a drivers backrest. All in all it will cost me around CAD $31000 including taxes

B) A second hand bike. 2016 Can-Am Spyder RTS for CAD $22900. As far as I can tell it comes with all bells and whistles, here is the description: It was bought new in 2018. The seller is the second owner. It comes complete with the BRP factory trailer hitch & wiring harness and a BRP driver’s backrest. There is also heated handlebars for the driver and heated handgrips for the passenger. I have added the Baja Ron Sway Bar, Foam Handlebar grips, Floating Highway Boards and a dual port USB on the dash for whatever accessories you may have. This is a low mileage vehicle with just over 41,000 kms at the time. Last service was on September 16th, 2021, at which time a new rear tire was installed. Available now. CAD $22,900. Also included is a set of Stainless Steel grill guards

C) A brand new 2022 bike

I am very much torn as it is a lot of money and frankly, over the many years I had my BMW I never used it enough.

As I have no experience whatsoever with Cam Ams, only one test ride, and I hardly ever see any on the roads here in BC Canada, I am also slightly worried about all the electronics involved in that bike and their reliability. Is a second hand bike perhaps more reliable as inititial quirks might have been ironed out? But than…41000 km is quite a bit of use…

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Thank you,
    Stefanie
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-25-2022 at 07:18 PM. Reason: CAD not USD ;-)

Spyder Garage

One quick consideration, since your riding companion will be on an adventure bike. One of the serious limitations to a Spyder is the belt drive which is very intolerant of gravel roads. If gravel is going to be encountered regularly and the rides tend to be shorter, a Ryker (with a driveshaft) might be worth a look. Riding a trike is like the motorcycling experience, but they are a different type of vehicle and handle very differently than a motorcycle.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lower belt guards are available aftermarket and are easy to install. I damaged a belt before I got my lower guard. Belt $350, guard $25, a no brainer. Since I installed mine I've had "O" issues with gravel roads.

Spyder Garage

Option B is too much money! Pass on it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi Stefanie...Congratulations on your adventure into the Spyder world! I had a similar choice to make not long ago with a few additional considerations. After some thought and not being under any time pressure, I decided to look at low milage used Spyders with a 2018 vintage or newer. Although money wasn't a primary driver, I am generally conservative and decided a lightly used machine would give me a chance to transition from bikes to Spyders and manage some downside if I didn't care for it after owning one. Turns out I like the Spyder a lot and will now plan to ride it as I did the bikes! I may replace it with a new machine in the future, but there are few significant improvements in the new machines over the 2018 machines, so I'm in no hurry. 41,000km isn't a lot as you know being a Beemer rider however there have been some important improvements since 2016. Additionally, although the 2016 has had some upgrades unless you are sure they are exactly what you want, the price listed is no screaming deal, Since there are many people that buy new and decide to sell fairly quickly, a bit of a search should identify a newer machine at a comparable or better price, given some time for the search. Good luck with your decision and hunt for the right machine and enjoy even this part of your transition...Regards,
    Last edited by BMac920; 04-25-2022 at 03:58 PM.
    2018 F3-L
    w/2600mi-2/14/22
    - The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    - HeliBars
    - 20" MadStad Wind Screen
    - Garmin Zumo XT
    - ROLO LASER Alignment, Tyler Texas
    - Greased Front Sprocket Splines w/TS-70
    - Baja Ron Heim End Links
    Many two-wheelers and w/40+ years of Riding
    The Woodlands, Texas

Spyder Garage

Stephanie - Option A is a demo, with I think had an in-service date of July 2021, so factory warranty should expire about July 2023. You should be able to buy an extended warranty, if you desire, before the expiry of the initial warranty.

Rick
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Option B is too much money! Pass on it.
    with K80 Shooter, Too much for a 6 year old bike!....Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello SKME, I see your in Canada and you are looking at 3 different Spyders. when you say cost $ I assume you are saying Canadian dollars.

Bike "A" is a 2021 Demo Spyder RT with 900 km (560 miles) and they will sell for $25,789.00 Canadian dollars Cost new is $28,999 + $1,000 surcharge.

Bike "B" is a 2016 used Spyder RTS with some extras and 41,000 km (25,477 miles) they will sell for $22,900.00 Canadian dollars.

Bike "C" is a 2022 brand new bike. That cost??? The 2022 Spyder RT Limited New with 0 km (0 miles), would cost $33,299.00 + $1,000 surcharge. Canadian dollars.

To find the best deal I had to convert to US dollars that I understand better.
    Bike "A" $25,789.00 CD = $20,242.00 USD 2021 Spyder RT
    Bike "B" $22,900.00 CD = $17,974.00 USD 2016 Spyder RTS
    Bike "C" $34,299.00 CD = $26,921.00 USD 2022 Spyder RTL

So it all comes down to what you can afford, If cost was not that much of an issue then I would say C is the best option to get what you want (better options, your color, etc.) if money is an issue keep shopping.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    One quick consideration, since your riding companion will be on an adventure bike. One of the serious limitations to a Spyder is the belt drive which is very intolerant of gravel roads. If gravel is going to be encountered regularly and the rides tend to be shorter, a Ryker (with a driveshaft) might be worth a look. Riding a trike is like the motorcycling experience, but they are a different type of vehicle and handle very differently than a motorcycle.
    " intolerant of gravel roads " .... I have had three Spyders for 100,000 mi., I live in Vermont which is over 50% gravel roads. All my belts looked like New. I did make a DIY belt guard for my 14 RT but that was at 40,000 mi. ....CHIP seal is a whole different story., and luckily there arn't anywhere near as many of them ,,, it's pretty much a localized road use ./... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Thanks for your reply. No we are not going down gravel roads on a regular basis. In fact, as I will be towing the trailer, certainly not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Lower belt guards are available aftermarket and are easy to install. I damaged a belt before I got my lower guard. Belt $350, guard $25, a no brainer. Since I installed mine I've had "O" issues with gravel roads.
    Thanks -very useful to know!

Spyder Garage

Default $$$ Spyders

JMHO, but if this is your first Spyder ..... buy it used, 85% of all warranty issues appear in the first year, and they become less, the older the machine is in service. If the used ones your looking at have good service records that is the way to go ..... The price of Spyders and everything else has had a hugh inflation cost .... Let someone else eat the $$$$ depreciation...... get a new one in 2 years .... ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you!

...For all your replies so far.

It seems like quite a few of you think the second-hand version 2016 model is not a good deal. Somehow, I got the same feeling.

Albeit, I am slightly tempted because of all the wonderful extras...I will not follow up on this sale.

What I have heard from the salesperson at the can am shop, an extended warranty is quite a lot of extra money. Somewhere around the Can Dollar 1000.

Is an extended warranty really that useful?

I used to drive Hondas and BMWs and my husband and I were very lucky with no repairs ever needed.

Thanks again,
    Stefanie

Spyder Garage

Like BK, I would direct you to option B also.

I owned a 2014 RT-S. This was the first year of the 1330. Many say, don't buy them because of the potential trouble. We traded off the 2014 in January of 2021. 45,000 miles. Never had a major mechanical problem with it. Got a free 2 year extended warranty. Never had to use it.

Do some due diligence. With the VIN # any dealer can give you the mechanical history. That tells a lot. Since this would be your first Spyder, I would shy away from new, or near new demo. It's your $10 K or more.

Good luck with your hunt. And

Additional: I would have a current look at a couple blue book sites. The $22k seems a bit overboard. My 2014 got me a $10.5K trade in price....and I am guessing it went for around $12K. It sold from the dealer very fast.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-26-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks...it gets tougher with each answer! Generally speaking, there are no second-hand bikes out there in my area, with the exception of the one mentioned. It just seems 22900 can dollar is a hell of a lot of money for a bike from 2016... for not much more I get the demo bike. Anyhow, will think about it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SKME View Post
    Thanks...it gets tougher with each answer! Generally speaking, there are no second-hand bikes out there in my area, with the exception of the one mentioned. It just seems 22900 can dollar is a hell of a lot of money for a bike from 2016... for not much more I get the demo bike. Anyhow, will think about it!
    The Higher price thing goes TWO ways .... your used Spyder will be worth more when YOU sell it ....JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Option C if money isn't the main concern.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Option A. That is low miles and basically the same bike as C

Spyder Garage

Option A.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Like BK, I would direct you to option B also.

I owned a 2014 RT-S. This was the first year of the 1330. Many say, don't buy them because of the potential trouble. We traded off the 2014 in January of 2021. 45,000 miles. Never had a major mechanical problem with it. Got a free 2 year extended warranty. Never had to use it.

Do some due diligence. With the VIN # any dealer can give you the mechanical history. That tells a lot. Since this would be your first Spyder, I would shy away from new, of near new demo. It's your $10 K or more.

Good luck with your hunt. And

Also worth considering the new dash after 2018 & BRP “Connect”/ Go whatever they call it unfortunately too many failures that were not present in prior years. Option B is bit steep, so please shop around. & enjoy some rest rides.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Let me throw my 2˘ (USD) in. You asked if an extended warranty is useful. My answer is an unqualified yes, if you need it. Believe me, you'll thank your lucky stars that you went for it. I have an extended warrant on my 2018. It needs a repair that was quoted at $954.00 (USD), $1,213 (CAD). My warranty covers the whole thing minus a $50.00 USD deductible.

Option A should pretty much cover everything you want that Option B already comes with, but it looks like you're only paying a few thousand more for it. In the meantime you can add the other stuff as time/funds allow. And don't forget Option B won't come with any warranty, extended or otherwise. If I were in your shoes, I'd jump on Option A.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SKME View Post
    Thanks -very useful to know!
    Inspector Gasket black anodized lower belt guard. "C" clamp it to the bottom of the swingarm, it already has three predrilled guide holes. Then use the three supplied self-taping metal screws to attach it, and you are done. Simple, simple, simple. $35.00 if I recall.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New, Used or Demo

Everything has it's limitations. If money is not a issue then I would go with a New Spyder.
    Money a little tight I would be happy with a quality used Spyder.
    First thing you need to decide is how much $$ do you have to spend on your Spyder.
    Once you have that number, start your search.
    Check out the 'For Sale' Spyders on this Forum. Good Deals come up time to time.

Definitely check out the Spyder and Do your homework.
    My Tip: Buy what you can afford.

Then enjoy your Ryde. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

For the money I would land on option A and try to negotiate an extended warranty at purchase.

Spyder Garage

Hi Stephanie,

I am a two-wheel motorcyclist at heart and still have a pair of older Ductati Multstrada sport tourers...and a big KTM dirt single for gravel road fun. But I also have a 2009 Spyder RS/GS and a year ago I purchased a new 2021 Spyder RTL.
    I have had the 09 RS/GS for 5-6 years and truly enjoy riding it, especially with my wife on board, and also solo as well.

The 2021 RLT is a huge upgrade on every aspect over the old bike. Heated seats, front and rear, heated grips, and also heated passenger handrails, plus great wind protection and a quiet ride that doesn't need earplugs to defeat the noise generated by the factory windscreens on the old Multistradas. Great comfort and protect for one-up or, two-up. Handling is vasty better, stock, on the new Spyders vs the older units as well.

Your option A, the demo bike was listed as "a 2021 demo bike with 900 km and no extras. 2021 Can-Am SPYDER RT 1330 ACE SE6
    CAD $25,789.00, before taxes. This is the bike I test rode
    . Was this an RT, and RTL, or an F3 version?

If it was my money, I would pass on the 2016 RTL. It may be a great bike, and has a few options you desire, but its only a few thousand less than the 2021 demo, and five years age and 40K kilometers down in use. Can Am has made some nice improvements in the RT/RTL platform in 2020+. Some of those improvents also made it to the 2020+ F3T and F3L.

For me, a motorcylist for 50+ years, the sit up, legs below me sitting position of the RT or RTL or more preferable than the "cruiser style" position of the F3T/L bikes, and at six ft height, the wind protection if VASTLY better, stock, on the RT/RTL bikes vs the F3. Same applies to wind protection for your hands.

If you can afford the price and the wait, a 2022 of your choice would be ideal, but, the option A, if you like it, sounds serious of consideration.

Good luck on your decision,
    Rod