Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 spyder RT been in the shop over 9 months

My 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT have been in the shop for over 9 months.

My spyder starts up and it will shift into gear but when you turn the throttle and does not move or rev up. Put it in the shop at Freedom Powersports and the diagnosed was it needs a throttle body.
    They place the order for a throttle body and it has been on backorder for over 9 months I called every 3 weeks and ask if they have any update from Can-Am are they continue to tell me no. Out of desperation I have called 3 motorcycle in Can-Am dealership myself and ask them do they have the part I was told that no one in the country has that part available.

I've been considering looking for a used part but the dealership do not put used parts on bikes so is there anyone that it may know of a mechanic in the Dallas-Fort Worth Texas area

Spyder Garage

They Couldn’t just clean it?limited experience, & have only been told that majority just need cleaning unless major damage rodent or otherwise.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck asking a dealer to clean the throttle body, seems they only want to replace with 'new'. Nine months, that's just nuts.

Spyder Garage

There was recall for throttle bodies I believe that included your year. Ours is a 11 RTS and was replaced under recall many years ago.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain Lorenz. I am having a similar problem. For me it is the left hand multi function switch that controls Reverse, Neutral and Down Shifting. That is a known issue with 2018 RT's and F-3's. I put my RT in the shop in Oct and was told part would take 8-10 days. The next day it was changed to sometime in Dec. In Dec it was pushed back again until this coming July. I've searched high and low for this part with no joy. Fortunately my problem doesn't affect my bikes road worthiness so 2 weeks ago I went and got it. I'm not giving up half the riding season waiting on a part. Have my fingers crossed for July, but to be honest, I'm not very hopeful. Between the pandemic, global supply chain chaos and worker shortages the worlds been pretty screwed up for the past couple of years.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

My concern besides not having the bike is how are they storing it. Had a friend that left the wifes bike at a local dealer and they left it sit outside and it was missing the antenna so the rear trunk filled up with water.

If you didnt have problems with anything else, 9 months of sitting without starting will affect lots of other systems. Things will rust, things will flat spot, connections will develop higher resistance corrosion, rubber can get dry and crack, fluids go south. Just not good.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

9 months for a throttle body set seems a little extreme. After 9 months they could have had them shipped it to Austria, had Rotax completely overhaul them, then ship them back.

Then I know why they want to replace the whole thing. They charge around a grand for just the parts.

You might want them to check none of the ECM instructions in the NHTSA bulletin "NHTSA ID Number: 10185875" apply. Sometimes the errors are not errors at all, just calibration and ECM flash revision issues.

They could replace the part with a used item off E-Bay for $200 and up, even if they didn't warranty the part. After 9 months I think they, or Can Am, could be a little more flexible.

Perhaps reporting to the the Better Business Bureau might be of some help?
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Call Offroad Express in Erie, PA they may be able to help.. My dealer referred me to them when armrests for my bike were on back order. I called Offroad Express and they had them. That was back in Sept 2021. Last week I was looking for a reverse actuator for my bike. I called two or three dealers and they all said it's on back order with no expected date. Then I remembered Offroad Express in Erie helped me a few months back. I called them but they did not have one in in stock either "BUT" the guy searched their data base and referred me to a few dealers around the country that did have them in stock. Now my part is on the way to my doorstep.

https://www.offroaderie.com/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-04-2022 at 09:59 PM. Reason: delaer = dealer ;-)
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (Sea to Sky)
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Elka Stage 2 Shocks

Spyder Garage

Well, that seems a little more like the kind of service we appreciate from a dealer. I'll be sure to keep them in mind when ordering things. Always good to support dealers going the extra mile for us.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Had similar issue here, no throttle response. Local shop stated new throttle body....as I didn't have the $1100 ready for the part (labor not included), I took the time to look thru my service manual....and found the culprit may have been the throttle position sensor. Easy enough to pull that after getting airbox off. Checked sensor with a multimeter, one side of sensor had intermittent readings, the other OK. Manual had a parts list, the TPS was $88....ordered that and had it in two weeks. As I already had BUDS, I was able to reset the TPS sensor "training" and all was well after that. And while the bike was opened up for that, cleaned the throttle body, replaced airbox with one from JT's Spyder Shop, new fuel filter, plugs and wires, and new vacuum hoses. Took a while to get it all done, but been problem-free since.

Spyder Garage

**** **** ****, screwed an I, I dropped my bike off 2 weeks with the same issue........ my wife is happy, she has her 2019F3L all I have is a 2008 Vulcan 900 and my wonderful 2014 Moto Guzzi California... she likes the extra room in Garage
    but damn
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, doesn't look like the OP has been back on the Forum since the day after posting this...

Possibly just wanted to vent?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

well still in holding pattern for my part, glad Im old enough that time goes by fast enough another birthday will be in April
    2012 , java