Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Cobra HH RT 50 CB Radio - ROAD TRIP

It's not often, I start a new thread, in fact it's very rare, but considering there had been some threads lately about CB use with the Spyder I thought it might be good to give a bit of an initial review.

I'd been using a Midland 75-822 for almost 7 years with the Sena SR10. Have always used the rubber duck that comes with the unit, the 8 pack with 2800 mha NIMH batteries.

Just received within the last week, the Cobra HH RT 50 - "Road Trip" directly from Cobra since being a VET, it was a few $$ less than Amazon and could receive it quicker.

The unit comes with standard rubber duck, external antenna, base, and a car type charge (Lighter Plug) with 2 tips. One tip is for power, the other which is inserted over the original for charging.

The unit holds 9 batteries. Be careful when inserting as it is not the typical insertion of Positive "in".

The unit has some nice features, quick access to Channels 9 and 19, scan, and weather.

I am using mine with 1.5V 3400 mha rechargeable Lithiums made specifically for high-power consumption devices.
    Reason for using lithium? 9 batteries = 13.5Vdc or the equivalent to your car thereby obtaining max power (wattage) out of the unit.
    Will the Lithium stand up - too soon to tell.

But here is the real upside of the Cobra.
    While the Midland "power pack" is virtually unusable on a bike due to the large interference on the receive side, and a terrible transmission on send side, the power cable and plug on the Cobra has ZERO interference in my test so far.

Additionally, when plugged in to the power unit, the batteries are bypassed.
    As to the "charging," the unit "shows" the batteries are being charged, However given I am using Lithiums which require a "special charger" at this time I do not want to experiment to find out whether this truly works, or damage or catastrophic event occurs.
    Note: Given that Lithiums in most devices are charged at about 5V, 12V from battery seems EXCESSIVE especially since there is nothing in the "tip" that reduces the voltage.

Sound is much better than the Midland a fuller deeper sound from its speaker loader and clearer on my Packtalk Bold. It also comes with what Cobra calls SoundTracker. This appears to be an active noise limiter, but does not change that Squelch must be used, unless you like that type of sound - LOL
    Additionally the voice from the sender was clearer and louder.

As to performance overall I'll give the edge to Cobra as the what I am receiving is clearer and from what the receivers are telling me, also clearer and stronger.
    Those I spoke to, responded I could be heard clearly and stronger (in comparison to the Midland) in all cases.

Most range were close as it was a group ride, and therefore varied from 0.2 - 0.3 miles. The furthest 0.5 miles as the rear of the group got caught by a light.
    Since this is the Las Vegas area, almost everything is flat. In those instances when it is not one is along mountain roads. On a trip from Las Vegas to Oatman via Kingman, we were never more than 1/4 mile between the first and last bike (those with CBs). Communication was never lost but truly not the best test. However, with over 50 years in the rear view mirror I would expect range on curves, mountains to be no different than typical CB units but I am expecting further distance on flats from the higher feed power to unit.

The Cobra works with the Sena SR 10 and is perfectly matched as was the Midland. However, do to a side positioning of the Mic/Spk connections on the Cobra, the "straight" or "angled" connector from Sena will allow perfect connection between the SR10 and the Radio. Additionally with time, the straight is becoming harder to find and most 3rd party providers have the angled ready available.

So much the initial reaction/review
    Remember terrain, weather, placement of antenna, power, and microphone may help or hinder the apparent performance of any CB.
    Results to me were "typical" of my overall expectations with the only exception being results from using External Power.

For more information about the Cobra HH TR 50 including manuals
    https://www.cobra.com/products/hhrt50

BE Safe Out There!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2022 at 09:25 PM. Reason: thread

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much for this review. I currently have a Uniden I am not very happy with. I will look into this Cobra.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Thank you very much for this review. I currently have a Uniden I am not very happy with. I will look into this Cobra.
    I should have mentioned that the power dongle is connected to a water resistant lighter socket that is installed directly above the left front speaker and directly connect to the battery terminals via a fused hot lead.

AJ

2014 RT-S

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

PaladinLV,

I am looking for a CB to use with the Sena SR10.

From your write up I am getting that you are using the same cord from the Sena to the Cobra that you used with the Midland. Is that correct? I am trying to figure out if the Midland cord from Sena will work with the Cobra CB.

Thanks.
    2016 RTS

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CATastrophe View Post
    PaladinLV,

From your write up I am getting that you are using the same cord from the Sena to the Cobra that you used with the Midland. Is that correct? I am trying to figure out if the Midland cord from Sena will work with the Cobra CB.

Thanks.
    According to this website, https://www.rightchannelradios.com/p...wx-st-handheld, the HH RT50 replaces the HH38. On another product page for a handheld mic it states the mic is compatible for both the HH38 and the Midland. I would say the Midland cable will work with the HH50.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thank you, Idaho. I think I will give the Cobra a try.
    2016 RTS

Spyder Garage

I haven't used a CB radio since the 80's. How useful are they today?

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    I ride with a group of people and often our rides can have upwards of 10 bikes. It's important for road captains and tail gunners to communicate for moving the group safely and also for alerting to problems a rider may have, such as a flat tire. When something like this happens, the group pulls over somewhere safe and we resolve the problem. We scatter comms people thoughout the line of bikes so messages can be relayed up and down the line. The scattering is helpful because it doesn't take much for bikes to stretch out the line on our very curvy mountain roads.
    2016 RTS

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    For group riding, very! Ideal communication system. Long range, not restricted by brands, and the technology has stayed stable over time. The only limit on number of users is how many you can get together into one place. Can't say the same for BT. Bluetooth ain't no match, IMNSHO.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

That is correct!

AJ

PaladinLV,

Thanks.

2014 RT-S

2014 RT/S , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PaladinLV,

Click on the list to enlarge

Thanks.
    SENA does NOT make the connecting cable for the Cobra.ere is a list of the available cables for use with the SR10

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 9.40.22 AM.png

Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2022 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

PaladinLV

Did Cobra supply the cable that hooks up with the SR10 ???? SENA don't make them unless one of these work

please
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2022 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Fixed quote & attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    That is correct!

AJ

List of SENA Cables, are you saying the Midland cables work with the cobra? if so, that is great news.
    Dave
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2022 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

Dave
    The difference of the 2 pin cables is NOT the pinouts, but whether the MIC/SPK connection are STRAIGHT or 90 degree angled depending on the Radio layout as the MIC/SPK connections have been pretty much standardized years ago with the advent of Ham radio HHs.

Cobra being smarter than others can use EITHER. In fact with the Cobra, ALL those TWO PIN connectors will most likely work, but DEFINITELY works with Midland and Icom.

I know this because before obtaining the SENA SR10, I used an Icom Speaker/Mic with the Midland.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    SENA does NOT make the connecting cable for the Cobra.ere is a list of the available cables for use with the SR10
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg
    Last edited by PaladinLV; 05-09-2022 at 07:29 PM.

2014 RT-S

2014 RT/S , Black