Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat care?? And what about rain?

Got one installed! Pretty happy...
    So, it comes with a rain cover. Is it ok if it gets wet at all? Riding in the rain type stuff? What if it's left out in an unexpected rainstorm? Whats the issue?
    Also, what do you use to care, condition, UV block? I was ordering Ultimate's own stuff, but for $27 shipped (and it might not be in stock - didn't check that yet), I thought I'd just check here first.

Thanks!
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    Got one installed! Pretty happy...
    So, it comes with a rain cover. Is it ok if it gets wet at all? Riding in the rain type stuff? What if it's left out in an unexpected rainstorm? Whats the issue?
    Also, what do you use to care, condition, UV block? I was ordering Ultimate's own stuff, but for $27 shipped (and it might not be in stock - didn't check that yet), I thought I'd just check here first.

Thanks!
    I'm guessing your new SEAT is NOT leather, just vinyl ..... the Vinyl is waterproof, however the OEM seat seams LEAK., the Ultimate probably does also that's why you have a seat cover. I have a 14 RT and I don't see any " UV " damage. however, it's stored indoors when not ridden. I don't carry a temp seat cover when out for a ride. ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

My saddle customizer uses an aerosol window cleaner to spruce up the saddle. Works great!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ultimate seats are made from marune grade vinyl. The rain cover just makes sure you have a dry butt.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Ultimate seat that I had on my 1300 VTX seemed to soak up rain. If I was in a restaurant when it started to rain, I knew that for the rest of the day I would have a wet butt.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

The vinyl won't allow water to get thru, but as stated above, the stitching seams will. Some seat seams are tighter than others. Some seat MFR's will put some plastic sheathing between the foam and cover. Not sure if Ultimate does?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    The vinyl won't allow water to get thru, but as stated above, the stitching seams will. Some seat seams are tighter than others. Some seat MFR's will put some plastic sheathing between the foam and cover. Not sure if Ultimate does?
    I have had several "seam leaky" seats---worst one was the Russell Day Long with quilted stitching. I just carry a trash bag of the proper size when I camp or park outside.
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Day Long is supposed to come with a rain cover.

Spyder Garage

I've had the Ultimate seat for several years. I use the cover when washing the bike and when I know it's going to rain. When I purchased it, I asked owner of Ultimate seats why I needed the rain cover. If I remember correctly, he told me that water will penetrate the seat as the seat is designed to let air pass through for a more comfortable ride in heat. I asked why there is no cover for the passengers back rest, since there is one for the seat and the riders back rest. He said being upright the water will shed off the passenger back rest and not puddle. There is no plastic sheathing between the seat and the foam.
    I use the Ultimate cleaner only. It lasts a few seasons and I haven't determined which non-Ultimate cleaner will work with the seat. I am on my 3rd bottle since 2015.

Spyder Garage

Leaky seams are a problem for those who sleep in a tent. And, so, most outdoor equipment vendors sell a 'seam sealer' which will also work with leather and also vinyl stitched seats on Spyders.

Caven
    Caven Mcloughlin; caven@kent.edu

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Caven View Post
    Leaky seams are a problem for those who sleep in a tent. And, so, most outdoor equipment vendors sell a 'seam sealer' which will also work with leather and also vinyl stitched seats on Spyders.

Caven
    I think the reason " Seam Sealer " works is because TENT material is porous and will absorb the Sealer. .....JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    As an ULTIMATE SEAT rider since 2004, They do not have plastic sheathing between foam and cover and do not treat the seams. Have had 4 of their seats.
    T.P.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2022 at 02:13 PM. Reason: .

Spyder Garage

I've mink oiled my snowmobile and bike seats for years. Even vinyl sled seats do not ''dry out'' and crack with it being applied on them.
    I wipe it on and into the seams, let is sit for a while and buff it off. My 20 yr. old HD Mustang seat still looks like new and no rain issues on it. It's on the wife's F3 saddle also.
    Great for leather gloves also.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    I've mink oiled my snowmobile and bike seats for years. Even vinyl sled seats do not ''dry out'' and crack with it being applied on them.
    I wipe it on and into the seams, let is sit for a while and buff it off. My 20 yr. old HD Mustang seat still looks like new and no rain issues on it. It's on the wife's F3 saddle also.
    Great for leather gloves also.
    Agree. Any kind of boot or leather oil or cream will work.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    The Ultimate seat that I had on my 1300 VTX seemed to soak up rain. If I was in a restaurant when it started to rain, I knew that for the rest of the day I would have a wet butt.
    It's the price we pay in pursuit of our passions I guess.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited