Spyder Garage

Default Problem with key seat release not working, any ideas?

Hi, I am having trouble removing the riders seat. I push the key in & turn it clockwise but it does not release the seat. Turning it the opposite direction easily allows the front cover to open. Does anyone know how to remove the seat when the latch is not working? Really appreciate your help. Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-24-2022 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'What should I do?' question not a 'How To: DIY' guide. ;-)

Spyder Garage

Push down hard on your seat as you turn the key. That may release enough tension that the catch will pop. If that doesn't work try pulling the ear of the seat out on the right side. You can see the latch and reach in with a screw driver or pliers and pull the latch.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Push down hard on your seat as you turn the key. That may release enough tension that the catch will pop. If that doesn't work try pulling the ear of the seat out on the right side. You can see the latch and reach in with a screw driver or pliers and pull the latch.
    ..... after you get it open ... think about adding a separate cable release for the seat and the frunk .... many here have done this and stopped using the ignition key. I re-moved my seat gas strut and now use a ridgid rod to hold the seat up ....and I put a small piece of construction foam into the seat latch mechanism to hold it open .... having someone steal your gas is not likely ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I had my passenger seat off on Friday to wire my Shad sadddlebag lights. I had a challenger getting the seat off. It appeared that the key lock would not turn far enough to disengage the seat release. I remove the rubber plug when the cowl was off and could see the seat leash, but unsure if that would access the release. Like Pegasus advised, I ended up putting pressure on the cowl, and the seat came off. I suppose I could adjust the pin, but easier to put some pressure on the seat.

Rick
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The latch and the post can be adjusted to work properly, it just takes patience. Something the dealer assembly employees didn't seem to have. Lubing the latch itself helps a lot. Downward pressure on the seat above the latch as the key is turned seems to be the most popular way to operate the seemingly massive and complicated system. The locking seat was possibly the last job for the R&D guys and they were getting sick and tired of screwing with this machine, that could be why we ended up with what we have today. Maybe, who da he!! knows? By the way, if you want to take a gander at the key's operating and turning system and see how it actually works, gently remove one of the two speaker covers and you can get a clear view of how was designed.

Spyder Garage

+ 1 on lubing the latch, it needs it. The frunk latch needs it as well. Ignore the lubing of these latches and its when not if you get some problems. Takes almost no time at all.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 04-26-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had trouble with opening my seat several years ago. Once I opened it, I removed the locking pin, no problems with opening.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    ...... Ignore the lubing of these latches and its when not if you get some problems. ......
    I simply pulled the dipstick and used a drop of oil from it to lube the sticky seat latch while I was fueling up. Please explain to me a little more why I should not lube the latch mechanism under the seat? Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-24-2022 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    ...... Ignore the lubing of these latches and its when not if you get some problems. ......
    I simply pulled the dipstick and used a drop of oil from it to lube the sticky seat latch while I was fueling up. Please explain to me a little more why I should not lube the latch mechanism under the seat? Thanks.

Your asking for something that is not in the sentence.
    Try reading the whole sentence.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-24-2022 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I guess my Maori to Northern Kalifornia lingo is struggling.
    Hows this?

Ignore the lubing of these latches and its when not if you get some problems.

or

Mena ka warewarehia e koe nga reiti karekau e mahi tika ina hiahia koe kia tukuna.

or

If you ignore the latches sooner or later they will not operate correctly when you wish it to release.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 04-24-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post

Your asking for something that is not in the sentence.
    Try reading the whole sentence.e.
    To be fair, I had to read that whole sentence a couple of times before I understood it, Isopedella. The lack of punctuation makes it easy to misinterpret it, so I wouldn’t be too hard on 2dogs.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-24-2022 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Fixed quote/s display
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    I had trouble with opening my seat several years ago. Once I opened it, I removed the locking pin, no problems with opening.
    Folks who have " removed the locking PIN " discovered that the seat can then move forward, and the seat edge will rub some paint off .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-24-2022 at 05:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Pegasus, feels like the seat is welded on. Mine is a 2018 F3 Ltd.
    Cannot get under the seat at all to see the latch. Is the latch on the right hand side of the seat, front, middle or back?

Spyder Garage

This may help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUDlTER1jc

My 2017F3 is at the back of the seat in the middle.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 04-24-2022 at 09:35 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice video and very well narrated. For me only, it's a little overkill. I just attached two very strong nylon strings to the latches and ran them both under the tupperware to an easily accessible location where I only know that they are there. They've been on there for several years and I test them periodically to make sure they still function as intended. As a very kind man named Peter told me once, the reason you down there and me (we) up here have trouble communicating is because we're both upsidedown. And yes, lubrication is very important, unless you're standing on ice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-25-2022 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davidn58 View Post
    Thanks Pegasus, feels like the seat is welded on. Mine is a 2018 F3 Ltd.
    Cannot get under the seat at all to see the latch. Is the latch on the right hand side of the seat, front, middle or back?
    Finally got it off. Have now greased it & added a secondary lead to pull the release. Thanks all for your help

Spyder Garage

Good work. All for sake of some lube. haha.
    Thinking I will set up a pull type release myself. I have some 80lb plastic coated steel fishing trace and some crimps I may fab up and see how it goes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good work. All for sake of some lube. haha.
    Thinking I will set up a pull type release myself. I have some 80lb plastic coated steel fishing trace and some crimps I may fab up and see how it goes.
    Excellent idea!