Spyder Garage

Default Trying to locate a fuel door for '21 RTL - anyone help?

Hi, Need help trying to find a locking fuel door to install on my 21 RTL. I've searched the DIY forum and clicked on just about all of the linking trying to find a locking fuel door. The eBay and Amazon links are either "currently unavailable" or the link is no longer valid for the intended item. I've ordered one via Amazon and it was too big. I'm looking for a door that's 6 inches or less (outside diameter) (top to bottom). The doors I've seen on Amazon are either 6-1/2 inches or larger. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just raise the seat

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kdrewitt View Post
    Hi, Need help trying to find a locking fuel door to install on my 21 RTL. I've searched the DIY forum and clicked on just about all of the linking trying to find a locking fuel door. The eBay and Amazon links are either "currently unavailable" or the link is no longer valid for the intended item. I've ordered one via Amazon and it was too big. I'm looking for a door that's 6 inches or less (outside diameter) (top to bottom). The doors I've seen on Amazon are either 6-1/2 inches or larger. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi... I see you are new to the forum. I can help with the fuel door give me a call 209-887-3283 9:00AM to 8:00PM Pacific Time, I am in California
    I will be glad to assist you
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    just raise the seat
    There’s always one in the group…
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-23-2022 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

that is why its a two piece seat

Spyder Garage

It's difficult and messy to fill or top-up the tank from a fuel can with the seat raised. While a fuel door would be a nice solution, it seems that it may compromise the seat comfort. Eliminating the gas strut that limits the upward travel of the seat and using a link to prop the seat up in a higher position would improve fuel tank access and make it easier to access the rear suspension Schrader valve. One of these days...
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    It's difficult and messy to fill or top-up the tank from a fuel can with the seat raised. While a fuel door would be a nice solution, it seems that it may compromise the seat comfort. Eliminating the gas strut that limits the upward travel of the seat and using a link to prop the seat up in a higher position would improve fuel tank access and make it easier to access the rear suspension Schrader valve. One of these days...
    I put a gas door my 14 RT about 60,000mi. ago .... The only time I notice it ...is when I use it. Did you have one on your seat and then re-moved it ????? .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-23-2022 at 12:37 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just dealt with this topic with " Spyderweber3 " .... if you want I can send you all the PM's I had with Him ..... I used to buy & install them as a Vendor ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-23-2022 at 12:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    i put a gas door om 14 RT about 60,000mi. ago .... The only time I notice it ...is when I use it. Did you have one on your seat and then re-moved it ????? .... Mike
    I've never seen one that fits a 2020RT. I just know that my leg rides on the portion of the front seat that is directly over the fuel cap.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

There’s always one in the group…
    It’s a fair comment though, kdrewitt. Access to your fuel cap is protected by the lockable seat. Are you asking for a fuel door that you can insert into the side of your seat?……..because you don’t mention that in your question, which is why some confusion may arise.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I found a record of the fuel door that I ordered it for my 2016 RT. I bought it on eBay from vendor. streetrend
    Description in listing:

For 88-00 Chevy/GMC CIO CK Truck/Suv Matte Aluminum Fuel Gas Door Cover w/Lock

This one has a lock, but I don't use it and it stays closed with out locking it.

Fuel Door.jpgFuel Door.jpg

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

thanks George, hopefully I can find it on eBay. I appreciate your time and effort!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I just dealt with this topic with " Spyderweber3 " .... if you want I can send you all the PM's I had with Him ..... I used to buy & install them as a Vendor ..... Mike
    I'd like your PMs on this subject also, if you don't mind. Thanks
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black