Spyder Garage

Default Styupid laws in Spain

From the month of April you cannot drive a Spyder or Riker at more than 70 km/h in Spain.
    Until now we could do it because we were "assimilated" to the category of motorcycle, but since the approval of the new law and having a distance between the wheels of the same axis of more than 600 mm, we have ceased to be assimilated to a motorcycle and have become a "tricycle". "Which in Spain has a speed limit of 70 km/h. The dealers tell us that BRP is working on the issue and has recognized the problem, however no information appears on their website.
    In any case, months or years will pass before the law is modified and users now have a wonderfully technological paperweight.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

FYI 70 KM = 43 miles an hour here in the US.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

55 mph/80 kmh used to be the mandatory speed limit on all US highways.

Did people drive it??... OH HELL NO!

Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 04-21-2022 at 07:14 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not just in Spain.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Slow Speed Save Gas

....Maybe they are trying to get everyone to save a little gas.
    Slower Speed = Less Gas.
    You never know. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

When Home ported in Yokosuka (South of Tokyo) Japan back in 73-76, the speed limit was low also. Japanese are rarely ticketed as they would lose "face", unless they cause an accident. However, it was open season on American Sailors and Marines. Japanese police would refer any "misconduct" off base to the Base Provost Marshal, a gruff former enlisted, now officer Marine. I got nailed and lost car driving privileges on base for a month (I lived off base), so my wife had to drive me to work for a couple days. My ship went out for 60 days, so I "served" most of my penalty cruising from Yokosuka to Subic and then Hong Kong. My wife gave me hell for the 2 days she had to wake up to take me to work, which was more than the Mustang Grunt !st LT was hitting me with. At the time no Bikes could be built in Japan over 400cc, but American would import their !300 & 1500 Harleys and Hondas. Too many would try to pass traffic recklessly and end up meshed in to the front grill of an Isusu Semi truck!
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

In the Province of Quebec, 3 wheelers are now considered to be so much safer than 2 wheelers that they have reduced the annual plate + government insurance fee from $700 to $200 and have created a new 3 wheeler vehicle category.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Here in New Zealand the registration to ride on a road of a Spyder is $130 or so the same as a car, $519 for my Wing and DR650. You can put them "on hold" for a time. Open road is 100kph for all.

Spyder Garage

Wow, 43 mph is terrible. Here in Central to Northern Maine you can get away with 137km/h or 85 mph. This is on I-95. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

The speed limit on most Mexican highways (around Chihuahua anyway) is 70 km/h. For all vehicles. Most Mexicans drive at about 100. Americans better do the speed limit or risk paying a roadside bribe. No tickets are ever written. Unless you don't have cash. Then it is off to jail.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

in Italy its also 57 mph / 90 kmh for everyone only on the "Autostrada" it is still 82 mph / 130 kmh & they have the most Radar-boxes per mile here in Europe .. not really cheap to make a tour here !!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

In my humble opinion, driving at 70 on the highway when the rest of the vehicles do so at 120 is extremely risky for both the Spyder and the rest, and it causes overtaking and lane changes that can lead to accidents. In this case, speed reduction does not seem to support road safety. Rather it seems that the legislator does not know the vehicle.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

I think I'll stay out of Spain with my Spyder. Sorry for those of you who will have to live with this new law.

Here in IL the Spyder (and Ryker) are considered motorcycles, but there is a special motorcycle category endorsement which limits the rider to ONLY 3 wheel vehicles. When my driver's license came up for renewal last summer, and being over 75, I had to take a driving test as part of the process. I drove my SUV and passed without issue. Then I was told that to retain my motorycle endorsement I would have to take the test for that as well. The actual driving test was absurdly easy for the Spyder, and done on the same tiny marked up parking lot area that is used to test regular motorcycles. In truth, the driving test would make a lot more sense to do as it is done for cars and trucks except that the state employees who do the testing would probably not like to have follow or sit on the passenger seat of the Spyder.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)