Spyder Garage

Default Installed BRP factory hitch harness - turn signals wrong ?

I just installed the factory trailer hitch and harness appropriate for my 2021 Spyder Sea To Sky. I am hooking it up to my RT622 trailer that has the 4 pin square connector - so is a direct plug in from harness square 4 pin pigtail to RT622 square 4 pin hitch plug. Pain in the butt to remove the whole back panel to access the wiring harness and mount the control module etc.... Before putting the rea panel with taillights back on the bike - I just attached their taillight plugs to the harness connectors to confirm lights working fine. Turned key and trailer lights went on fine - step on brake and trailer brake lights activate fine. Hit the left turn signal and the right signal activates on the trailer - and right turn activate left on trailer ? What is up with that ????? Are the wires swapped in error in the either trailer side plug or the harness side plug? Appears the wires coming into and out of the module are correct color codes for left and right turn (left yellow/right green). Anybody had this issue? On a separate note - I looked up the hitch I bought on June 10th 2021 on the BRP accessories page - holy cow it went from to $568 to $765.00 ! I am wondering if was on sale last June or if price really went up that much. ArmRests went from $360 to $500 ! Ouch.....

Hitch and Harness is https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...ol-module.html

Plug RTL to 622.jpg

Module for 2021 RTL.jpg
    Last edited by RTLRider; 04-20-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

Is this a trailer that you've had and used before? If so, was the lights correct then?

You might have (not sure if it's possible) put the plugs on the wrong side when installing them on the bike. Did you check all of the other lights??

If this is a used trailer that you purchased someone could have mixed up the wires when switching from the 9 pin plug to the 4 pin plug.
    I just rewired/changed my RT-622 from a 9 pin round plug to the 4 pin square plug. There was originally 7 wires feeding the trailer from the old plug so there was some that needed to be hooked together and one left out completely. It was for the backup lights.

Either way you could just pull back the front carpet to expose the wiring and switch the wires there to correct the issue as long as everything else works.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 04-20-2022 at 03:14 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I bought this used - so first time on this RT. Prior owner had it on his older RT. 2013 model year trailer so that 4 pin came stock from factory I believe. Your suggestion to switch wiring under carpet is a good idea. I did not install harness to wrong sides as it is made to go on one way or won’t reach to mount the module where it is intended to be.
    Last edited by RTLRider; 04-20-2022 at 06:57 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

K80 -- as I recall the 4-pin Deutsch connectors were outside at the front of the trailer close to the wiring entry point. Only SuperSeal connectors inside the trailer and those at the rear.

RTL -- that gray connector is a 6-pin Deutsch. Very easy to disassemble and repin. You should see a green dingus on the pin side. Remove it and then use a small screwdriver to pry the pin's lock back and pull the wire out. As I recall it's easier for the female side. You only have to swap the two turn signal wires. Easy peasy.

K80 -- the round 9-pin connector supported three country-specific configurations:

USA -- 4-wire
    CAN -- 5-wire
    AUS -- 6-wire

The trailer-side cable determined which country.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2022 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Op added details on 9-pin connector - then I swapped in swap instead of sway... ;-)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    K80 -- as I recall the 4-pin Deutsch connectors were outside at the front of the trailer close to the wiring entry point. Only SuperSeal connectors inside the trailer and those at the rear.

RTL -- that gray connector is a 6-pin Deutsch. Very easy to disassemble and repin. You should see a green dingus on the pin side. Remove it and then use a small screwdriver to pry the pin's lock back and pull the wire out. As I recall it's easier for the female side. You only have to swap the two turn signal wires. Easy peasy.

K80 -- the round 9-pin connector supported three country-specific configurations:

USA -- 4-wire
    CAN -- 5-wire
    AUS -- 6-wire

The trailer-side cable determined which country.
    Not knowing what year model the OP's trailer is, I posted what mine was. Mine is a 2011 RT-622 and the main harness has 7 wires, white, yellow, green, red, black, blue & brown. It still had the BRP part number on it. It also connected inside of the trailer at the front. Was this how it came from the factory, I don't know but it appeared to be original. Either way I just posted what I had to do and what mine was.

RTLRider, whether the wires join under the front of the trailer or inside the front of the trailer you should just need to switch the yellow and green wires coming from the harness but you could confirm this with either a test light or a multimeter.

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue with the wiring on my 21 RTL, i had to switch the wires to make it right. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    I had the same issue with the wiring on my 21 RTL, i had to switch the wires to make it right. Chris
    This could be like the early 2020 Spyders that had the GPS wires crossed. (Mine was one of them)
    I have to install my new wire harness on my Spyder this weekend and will report back what I find on mine.

Spyder Garage

@BertRemington, no disrespect meant in my post above.

I didn't purchase my trailer new and neither did the guy that I got it from.
    There's no telling what had been switched around on it by the time I did get it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile Trailer wiring is an adventure

K80 -- I never perceived any disrespect and besides I'm impervious to it.

I was confused by the limited information you provided. Eg 7-pin. That isn't a standard BRP connector. It's for car-type trailers, of which there are two variants: 7-pole round and 7-pole blade. So are you saying your Spyder had the normal 9-pin connector and somewhere in the cable to the trailer a previous owner inserted a 7-pole connector pair? Did your trailer have Amber turn signals?

I'm converting my previously-owned USA RT-622 to AUS (Amber turn signals, White backup) configuration https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1605676 I found the 9-pin 4-wire cable could not be disassembled so I bought another populated with all 9 wires. Turns out its an OBD-type cable. Some of the wires are a bit small for incandescent bulbs but more than adequate for LEDs. Haven't quite finished the bulb holders because I'm serious procrastinator and they take some delicate work.

Spyder Garage

Bert,

The trailer had the 9 pin connector but only had 7 wire's inside of it.
    The trailer does indeed have the amber bulbs for the turn signals (1157-A) and clear for backup lights.

When I cut the 9 pin plug off I cut right through the BRP part number tag and tossed it into the trash. If not for that I could have provided the part number for it.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 04-22-2022 at 07:40 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question I would have liked to sway rear light assemblies

K80 -- You have the AUS configuration trailer. I wish I could have swapped rear light assemblies with you. I had to convert dummy sockets to live sockets -- a real pain -- for Amber turn and White backup.

Why are you changing to Red Brake/Turn and no backup?

And I really don't understand what you are doing.

Are you keeping the Spyder-side adapter with the molded in 9-pin connector?

If not, put it up for sale -- it's worth at least $200.

If you are, that means you are rewiring the 9-pin/7-wire cable to be a 4-wire cable. If my analysis is correct, ain't gonna work without a second adapter like RTL has. That's because the two wires for the Red Brake/Turn lights are not in the 7-wire cable. See https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1607949 Which means you will have to buy the 9-pin OBD cable I cited above.

Spyder Garage

K80 -- You have the AUS configuration trailer. I wish I could have swapped rear light assemblies with you. I had to convert dummy sockets to live sockets -- a real pain -- for Amber turn and White backup.

Why are you changing to Red Brake/Turn and no backup?

Just for simplicity with the wiring. I also feel that I will never really need the backup lights. Just a personal opinion.

And I really don't understand what you are doing.

Changing from the 9 pin round connector from the trailer to the 4 pin square connector to match the newer 4 pin bikes.

Are you keeping the Spyder-side adapter with the molded in 9-pin connector?

Not quite sure what you're asking. The Spyder will have the OEM 4 pin square connector. Thats why I'm changing the trailer.
    If you're asking if I'm keeping the 9 pin connector/harness from the trailer then no.

If not, put it up for sale -- it's worth at least $200.

I hope you're not talking about the harness from the trailer to the Spyder, If so I cut that end of the cable off and tossed it out. If so then it's not the 1st time that I messed up. lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up I think I understand

Your AUS-configuration trailer came with a 7-wire cable terminated with a 9-pin round connector.

Your Spyder has the USA-style 4-wire cable with rectangular 4-pin connector.

And you want to replace trailer's 9-pin connector with a 4-pin connector to match the Spyder.

That's easy. You will have three unused wires in the 7-wire trailer cable.

My confusion was thinking your Spyder also had the 9-pin round connector.

Post pictures.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Your AUS-configuration trailer came with a 7-wire cable terminated with a 9-pin round connector.

Your Spyder has the USA-style 4-wire cable with rectangular 4-pin connector.

And you want to replace trailer's 9-pin connector with a 4-pin connector to match the Spyder.

That's easy. You will have three unused wires in the 7-wire trailer cable.

My confusion was thinking your Spyder also had the 9-pin round connector.

Post pictures.
    I only had one wire that wasn't used, it was the backup light wire. I combined the turn and brake lights and also replaced the amber bulbs with red led bulbs.

On the wire harness. As others have mentioned the turn signal wires are crossed in the new harness. It's a easy fix to just swap the green and yellow wires to straighten this out. Had the OP and another person had not mentioned this then I too would have been wondering what went wrong.