Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Smile 2015 Spyder RT Ltd SE6 showing 0551 code - any ideas?

Hello everyone. 1st time posting I have a 2015 Spyder Rt Ltd SE6 - Bought it in 2016 as left over. Put in a new Battery then, 5000 miles now. Last year I started to have a problem with the check engine light coming on and hard steering right after I had left the house, but let the bike sit for a minute or so, restart the and light would be off. Retrive codes, and it said No Codes. This winter is the first time I had it on a battery tender, but it was not an AGM tender; I just purchased one of them this weekend. Took the bike for its first ride this year and the light came on, but this time with a Code 0551 Power Steering Pressure Sensor. I just put in a new battery this weekend - 340cca AGM. Put star washers on the bolts and made sure the battery grounds were clean. I haven’t taken it for a ride yet. I heard the DRS uses the most voltage of any part; hopefully it's not the DRS. Anyone think it’s a Voltage issue, or another problem? There are not many dealers here in Ct and they seem kind of clueless. Also, it doesn’t seem to happen at highway speeds. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-19-2022 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Caps, spaces, & title clarification... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question DPS pressure sensor?

I'm curious what this device is "power steering pressure sensor". Couldn't find it in the parts list. What source of information did you use to decode 0551?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    Hello everyone. 1st time posting I have a 2015 Spyder Rt Ltd SE6 - Bought it in 2016 as left over. Put in a new Battery then, 5000 miles now. Last year I started to have a problem with the check engine light coming on and hard steering right after I had left the house, but let the bike sit for a minute or so, restart the and light would be off. Retrive codes, and it said No Codes. This winter is the first time I had it on a battery tender, but it was not an AGM tender; I just purchased one of them this weekend. Took the bike for its first ride this year and the light came on, but this time with a Code 0551 Power Steering Pressure Sensor. I just put in a new battery this weekend - 340cca AGM. Put star washers on the bolts and made sure the battery grounds were clean. I haven’t taken it for a ride yet. I heard the DRS uses the most voltage of any part; hopefully it's not the DRS. Anyone think it’s a Voltage issue, or another problem? There are not many dealers here in Ct and they seem kind of clueless. Also, it doesn’t seem to happen at highway speeds. Thanks in advance
    At highway speeds your alternator is putting out max output, which is then lowered by the regulator. The DPS has a huge draw. Hopefully, this a Battery issue and not a failing DPS unit .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-19-2022 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike has a good point -- with the Spyder in Neutral and your foot off the brake, do you hear a chirp-chirp or squeal when you rotate the handlebars?

Spyder Garage

2015 Spyder RT Ltd SE6 showing 0551 code
    The letter that preceeds the numerics in that code is pretty important, any chance you could confirm what that letter is??

I'd guess at the letter being a P, in which case the news is not good at all!! . The code P0551 refers to a damaged DPS, & tells us External Troubleshooting is NOT possible. To fix it, you will need to Replace the DPS!

A pretty cluey tech here in Oz has tried a few times to repair/replace the Torque sensor in the DPS, which is the component that most often seems to fail, but so far has been unsuccessful! The DPS isn't all that hard to replace, just tedious due to all the stuff you've gotta remove just to get to it & then replace once the new DPS is mounted, but the DPS is an alarmingly expensive piece of kit! Sorry!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Pressure = Torque

And Peter's explanation answers the "pressure" question -- it's actually torque.

Peter -- I thought the torque sensor was a tricky bit of metallurgy built into the steering column separate from the DPS itself. Is this correct?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile This will be expensive unless...

And let's unpack this statement "Also, it doesn’t seem to happen at highway speeds."

I'm think by "it" Ernest is referring to "hard steering right after I had left the house" rather than the P0551.

As background, the DPS assist is gradually reduced as speed increases with no assist at 45mph.

In which case Ernest you're facing a (minimum) $500 decision -- live with kinda high effort steering at low speeds or open your wallet w-i-d-e.

You might want to chase dirty/loose connections. Use contact cleaner nothing else. I also use a bit of Honda dielectric grease on the seals but this is controversial in some circles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post

Peter -- I thought the torque sensor was a tricky bit of metallurgy built into the steering column separate from the DPS itself. Is this correct?
    Not really the right bloke to answer that question, Bert - if it involves lectrickery & someone's already let the smoke out, it's probably beyond me/my fixer-upperer skills and if it's too small to dismantle into useful components with nothing but a hammer, a screwdriver, a crescent wrench, and maybe a bigger hammer.... then I probably shouldn't touch it! . But I am pretty sure that at least in the pre-2018 or so Spyders, it's a sensor of some 2 or more wires type built right into the guts of the DPS, which is why it's so difficult (impossible?? ) to replace by itself.... . Altho with that said, I have been led to believe that this was changed somewhere around 2018 or so and since then, the torque sensor has been something sorta like the tricksy bit of metallurgy you describe, separate from the DPS itself & separately replaceable - haven't needed/tried to do that yet tho, so... ?!?

Ps: it sounds like your initial issue was just poor battery maintenance Ernest, resulting in a marginally low battery charge which led to your initial problem. Only that was then let run on for too long/occurred too often, probably compounded by using the wrong type of tender/charger, so it ultimately killed the DPS! The new battery might help overcome any short term issues with the DPS, but if it truly has led to a failed torque sensor, then as Bert says above, it's either spend the $$ to replace the DPS or learn to put up with the heavy steering! Adding some air pressure to your front tires might help make your low speed steering easier, but it'll also mean you reduce the tire's ability to absorb road shocks &/or avoid punctures from road hazards etc; makes for a needlessly harsher ride & the potential damage that may cause to suspension components; and reduces the tire's overall safety, road holding, traction, puncture resistance, and potential life.... so either way, you'll probably end up paying for it.... up front by replacing the DPS; or in the long run by running the tires over-inflated leading to a greater potential for compounding the total cost along the way!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2022 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Ps:
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Wasn’t there a Service bulletin for some DPS units? Sorry don’t know what years or models affected. Would definitely hightail & run from the clueless dealers
    Unfortunately the resistance will probably only increase over time & likely become a safety issue,
    Maybe some independent shop or someone offering laser alignments can be helpful, will likely needs buds to double check some things might get lucky with a calibration reset. Good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thank You

Spyder Garage

Mike has a good point -- with the Spyder in Neutral and your foot off the brake, do you hear a chirp-chirp or squeal when you rotate the handlebars?
    Not sure. I noticed you talked about the brake, I was wondering if resting your foot on the pedal while driving could be an issue? I’m not sure if I may be doing that?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2022 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Added post referred to via 'Reply with quote' ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The letter that preceeds the numerics in that code is pretty important, any chance you could confirm what that letter is??

I'd guess at the letter being a P, in which case the news is not good at all!! . The code P0551 refers to a damaged DPS, & tells us External Troubleshooting is NOT possible. To fix it, you will need to Replace the DPS!

A pretty cluey tech here in Oz has tried a few times to repair/replace the Torque sensor in the DPS, which is the component that most often seems to fail, but so far has been unsuccessful! The DPS isn't all that hard to replace, just tedious due to all the stuff you've gotta remove just to get to it & then replace once the new DPS is mounted, but the DPS is an alarmingly expensive piece of kit! Sorry!
    Thank You for the info
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2022 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Added post referred to via 'Reply with quote' ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Wasn’t there a Service bulletin for some DPS units? Sorry don’t know what years or models affected. Would definitely hightail & run from the clueless dealers
    Unfortunately the resistance will probably only increase over time & likely become a safety issue,
    Maybe some independent shop or someone offering laser alignments can be helpful, will likely needs buds to double check some things might get lucky with a calibration reset. Good luck
    I heard that there might be a software update I am going to try to reach BRP And hopefully find a good repair shop
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2022 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Added post referred to via 'Reply with quote' ;-)

Spyder Garage

And let's unpack this statement "Also, it doesn’t seem to happen at highway speeds."

I'm think by "it" Ernest is referring to "hard steering right after I had left the house" rather than the P0551.

As background, the DPS assist is gradually reduced as speed increases with no assist at 45mph.

In which case Ernest you're facing a (minimum) $500 decision -- live with kinda high effort steering at low speeds or open your wallet w-i-d-e.

You might want to chase dirty/loose connections. Use contact cleaner nothing else. I also use a bit of Honda dielectric grease on the seals but this is controversial in some circles.
    Thank You great suggestion and I will also clean all contacts
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2022 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added post referred to via 'Reply with quote' ;-)

Spyder Garage

Yes I heard that I am purchasing the pdf cd To see how it is done

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is tricky bit of metallurgy. According to the service manual a portion of the steering shaft is magnetized. That magnetism is distorted by the torque in the shaft when you turn the handlebar. The shaft is surrounded by a sensor that detects the amount of torque and controls the current flow to the motor. It is all inside the DPS.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Wasn’t there a Service bulletin for some DPS units?
    Yes, for early 2013 models I believe. Don't know if there are others or not. I had the DPS replaced in the 2013 RT I had because of the TSB. Then I had the DPS replaced in my 2014 RTS because it started acting up.

Maybe, maybe not. When the DPS started acting up in my 2014 the safety issue was the fact that the DPS would kick in and out on a curve, such an Interstate circular on or off ramp. That caused the steering effort to go from easy to hard instantly causing me to under steer when it dropped out, and then over steer when it kicked back in. But, the effort itself won't increase over time. It just varies in relation to how hard the turn is. I thinks it's safe to say the DPS failure is an matter of on or off, with no variation between the two.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Yes I heard that I am purchasing the pdf cd To see how it is done
    Be aware that if you do it yourself you will need to 1), get the front wheels aligned, and 2), take it to a dealer, or buy the BUDS program. The Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) and the Steering Torque Sensor units must be set, or reset, to zero after the changeout and alignment. That is done only with BUDS.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

If battery connections are OK and you decide you need to replace the DPS, look for a DPS from a salvage yard or eBay. If you get one from a 2015 or later you should be OK, and it'll be less money!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I heard that there might be a software update I am going to try to reach BRP And hopefully find a good repair shop
    I'm pretty sure there is no software update. The DPS operation is hard coded into the processor board in the DPS.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Idaho said "If you get one from a 2015 or later you should be OK"

There was a change around the 2018 model year to a "High Torque" DPS that used different wiring. See https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...26#post1620826

Spyder Garage

Well not good news! Drove the bike for the first time since battery replacement and was running great then at 12 miles into it check engine light came on hard steering and code P0051 came on again . Sitting back and trying to decide what the plan will be ?

Spyder Garage

Well not good news! Drove the bike for the first time since battery replacement and was running great then at 12 miles into it check engine light came on hard steering and code P0051 came on again . Sitting back and trying to decide what the plan will be ?
    I say you need to either replace the DPS or trade your Spyder in. Based on my limited one time experience when the DPS went bad, if it goes in and out suddenly while you are going hard around a curve, that could be bad news because of sudden under steer or over steer.

New is upwards of $1400. There's a used one, and only one, on Amazon for $780 and maybe the same one on eBay for $600. Interestingly, it's the same seller on both.

The part number is 709401564 for 2015 to 2017.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 04-22-2022 at 05:35 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation More details needed...

Ernest -- you're really doing a lousy job describing the symptoms.

"was running great then ... hard steering"

At what mph did the hard steering occur?

If it occurred at 10mph and 45mph that's one problem.

If it occurred at 10mph and went away at 45mph that's another problem.

And what error code is being displayed: 0551? P0051? Don't keep us guessing.

Question: is there ANY play in your handlebars? Up and down? Left and right? Forward and backward? Can you lift the front wheels and repeat those three tests?

The DPS has several failure modes. One is the motor can't perform as commanded. Another is the demand-reponse feedback loop is intermittent. A third is the wheels are misaligned causing conflicting responses by the DPS.

Right now I suggest removing the left-side bodywork and examine the DPS and steering linkage with a small LED flashlight.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Time to Trade

...I would trade it for a later Spyder. Pick a year that would be in your budget.
    Good Luck with Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue