Spyder Garage

Default Mixing Oil in RT

I have always used BRP oil when doing regular maintenance on my Spyders. Someone said that Castrol makes a synthetic blend that is the same as Can Am oil. I already have a gallon of BRP oil for my next oil change but thought about mixing a quart of Castrol with the CanAm oil. Would that be the wrong thing to do? Should I stay with 5 quarts of the same oil? I appreciate anyone's thoughts about this. Thanks!

Terry
    2015 RT LTD , Red

Spyder Garage

Won't hurt a thing.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree some what, but boy this one will be big, I think!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

As long as with in spec’s should be fine, please double check before getting too far. If not suitable for wet clutch is the biggest concern.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Same specs. No problem. It is my understanding that BRP oil is just Castrol in a different bottle. Same with Ford, Chevy, Harley, Honda, etc. The only thing BRP about their oil is the container that you throw away.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Same Oil?

...I can't see any wrong with this. But if you have a problem with the mixing of your oils, buy the needed amount and then you will be happy.

Same oil but a different brand is not a real problem.
    Next Chapter please.........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

The only Castrol 5w-40 I see is Full Synthetic Castrol EDGE Euro Car formula. Is this what your talking about? The Can-am says its a synthetic blend. Does that matter?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XPress View Post
    The only Castrol 5w-40 I see is Full Synthetic Castrol EDGE Euro Car formula. Is this what your talking about? The Can-am says its a synthetic blend. Does that matter?
    I am not a fan of 'Blended' oils. My go to analogy is, take 90% tap water and add 10% crystal clean spring water. What do you have? That's what you're getting with a 'Blended' oil. If you're going to go with a high quality lubricant. What not spend a bit more and get 100% of the good stuff? Just my perspective.

The send thing you really need to know. If it isn't JASO MA2 rated, you don't want to use it in a Spyder. BRP recommends a 5w-40 blended oil because that is what they sell. When they sold 10w-40, that's what they recommended. Because Spyders rarely see cold start temperatures below zero Fahrenheit, a 10w-40 is a better viscosity for the Spyder. The further the spread between the low and high number. The less stable (more prone to breaking down) the oil is. In temps typically in 3 digit territory. Many customers are using 20w-50 in their Spyder with good results.

One good example of selling what you have instead of what is best for the application is BRP's recommendation that the Ryker use a wet clutch oil. Wet clutch oils are a compromise product. The engine wants as slippery a lubrication as it can get. Not only will it last longer, but it will get better fuel mileage. In a wet clutch environment, the transmission needs a lubricant that can stand up to gear crushing forces (something the engine only application never sees), and the wet clutch needs a fair amount of friction to work reliably. Exactly the opposite of what the engine and transmission needs.

Compromise products always have 2 things in common. 1- They, by necessity, are not as good at any one aspect as a single need product. And 2- They are more expensive. Using an automotive lubricant in the Ryker is not only less expensive. It will give you better service as you're only targeting 1 parameter. Which is engine lubrication.

Yes, a wet clutch lubricant will work just fine in a non-wet clutch application like the Ryker. You'll have no issues. It's just not the best option, nor is it the least expensive.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XPress View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also, their is no API (American Petroleum Institute) standard on the contents of partial synthetics or synthetic blends. Oil MFR's are not required to disclose that. You may be getting 95% petroleum/5% synthetic. API standards make it necessary for their products to be able to be mixed.
    Last edited by troop; 04-27-2022 at 11:29 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also, their is no API (American Petroleum Institute) standard on the contents of partial synthetics or synthetic blends. Oil MFR's are not required to disclose that. You may be getting 95% petroleum/5% synthetic. API standards make it necessary for their products to be able to be mixed.
    ..... and Full Synthetics arn't much more than the Blends ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

From what I have read, Fully Synthetic is a marketing term which may well be blended with mineral oil in some unstated proportion.

I also have read, that therm to be looking for is 100% synthetic, which I'm led to believe is 100% synthetic oil and 100% synthetic additives.

Of course, who knows if what you read is actually true, but this was just my understanding.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver