Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Passenger finds it too windy on the back of my RTL

Wife and I have big plans to do a lot of touring on our 2020RTL
    She does however find it very windy when riding 2Up even with the windshield fully up

I guess she must be outside the wind bubble that the driver sits in.

Anybody else have this issue and how did you resolve it ? Is there a longer windscreen or other solutions ?

-Kevin-

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kkelly View Post
    She does however find it very windy when riding 2Up even with the windshield fully up

Anybody else have this issue and how did you resolve it ? Is there a longer windscreen or other solutions ?

-Kevin-
    Kevin, We had the same problem, I invested in the BRP 28" tall windscreen (not cheap) with operational front vent. Helped a lot and was major improvement over the stock windshield. Good Luck, .......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Default Larger windshieldoi

-Kevin-
    I got one from F4CUSTOMS.com that is 2” taller and 2”wider on each side than the oem w/s. They can install a custom vent in it if you want also.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

-Kevin-
    The backdraft she's experiencing is a common problem with the RT. There have been many discussions about it, but no real consensus on a solution. A bigger windshield MIGHT help, but there are too many variables.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

we made the seat-cushion on our RT much "lower" on the back, so she sits more behind the driver, did the same on our Ryker now !!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Chris, is not the downside of that - a lot less visibility for the passenger?
    Ryker Rally 2022 - customized into a very special one of a kind touring edition .
    H&R swaybar + end links - F4 16" windshield - warning lights - scuff plate - jockey shifter - Commander floorboards - - Big Eye mirrors - BLR overflow - Spyderextras driver backrest - custom build racks - MoskoMoto backcountry panniers & Givi topcase

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The F4 helped for us when we got the taller and wider windshield.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Too much Wind

-Kevin-
    Just need a little more information. How much higher does she sit? I guessing that you have your w/s all the way up.
    Does she wear a full-face helmet? What exactly is the complaint with the wind? Does it move her around? Please let us know more what you are dealing with when ryding.

Most of these things are fixable to make your passenger feel comfortable. Over to you. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I think your passenger is feeling buffeting bc the air goes around the windshield and creates a vacuum behind it,Then air from behind it tries to rush in to fill that vacuum causing the buffeting.If you install a vent in the shield that will help fill the vacuum but may not be quite enough.I have found that putting a touring bag on my rack makes a big difference.I also think that using air wings to divert some air into that vacuum may help too.If you lower your shield all the way you create less vacuum but then you will get some wind on your helmet but she may feel better so its a tradeoff.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I replaced the four stock plastic vents in the two sides with the adjustable ones, turn them in one notch and it totaly changes the air flowon the passanger.
    When it is hot, turn them in all the way and both you and the passanger stay cool.
    The little bit if change with one click to the air flow, changes the air pocket was enough that the buffeting complaints went away.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have used a MRA X-Creen Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade on my last couple of bikes (BMW R1200 GSA and now a 21 RT-L https://twistedthrottle.com/product-...t_type=product - it is very adjustable, I can still see over it when it is low and I can raise it (and the windshield) if it is cold or bothersome for my wife.
    CanAm.jpg
    Last edited by Drwerner; 04-19-2022 at 09:10 AM.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Time for her own SPYDER!!
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

A VENTED windshield solved our buffeting problems.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I did some Google searches and can't find adjustable vents for the 2020RTL windscreen. Where did you get them?

Spyder Garage

i too have a 2020 RTL and have made trips to FL and IL from KY with my wife on the back. she is 5’6 and listens to her audio books while traveling and has not had any problems with the ride. actually, says it is quite enjoyable.

Spyder Garage

My wife is shorter than I, so she doesn't have any problems.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did some Google searches and can't find adjustable vents for the 2020RTL windscreen. Where did you get them?
    https://f4customs.com/windshield-for...er-rt-rts.html
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I believe Fatcycle is referring to the wind deflectors on the side of the body, kkelly. I think he may have mistakenly called them “vents”…..I’m sure he’ll correct me if I’m wrong. You can get adjustable ones, and since buffeting often comes from underneath, this can certainly affect airflow.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    No, that’s just the F4 28” shield, Copper. Those small vents you see are not on the ‘20+ RT models.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

A VENTED windshield solved our buffeting problems.
    Lew L
    Yes, but the stock ‘20+ shield IS a vented shield, Lew.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Kevin, We had the same problem, I invested in the BRP 28" tall windscreen (not cheap) with operational front vent. Helped a lot and was major improvement over the stock windshield. Good Luck, .......Bill
    Bill, find any downsides with that tall BRP Touring screen with its narrowing shape? I ask as I am going to need a taller screen when my Daylong seat arrives, and I have “bodgied” up an old F4 and Madstad screen from my previous F3 that sit 2” higher than stock and they give me reduced buffeting of the stock screen. They look pretty daggy though, so I am looking at F4, Gustafson and the BRP touring as possible purchases. Sorry kkelly, this is not meant as a hijack, but simply as more info on what can be a difficult issue to solve.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    No, that’s just the F4 28” shield, Copper. Those small vents you see are not on the ‘20+ RT models.

Pete
    Hello Pete, The F4 has options on their 28" tall & extra wide windshield to add an adjustable vent if you want one. I think if you look at their site you will see the vent they add. If he is looking for side air wings then Baker Built on our home page are one of the best if not the best.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 04-19-2022 at 05:52 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Bill, find any downsides with that tall BRP Touring screen with its narrowing shape? I ask as I am going to need a taller screen when my Daylong seat arrives, and I have “bodgied” up an old F4 and Madstad screen from my previous F3 that sit 2” higher than stock and they give me reduced buffeting of the stock screen. They look pretty daggy though, so I am looking at F4, Gustafson and the BRP touring as possible purchases. Sorry kkelly, this is not meant as a hijack, but simply as more info on what can be a difficult issue to solve.

Pete
    Pete, When we bought our 2020RTL we had the dealer add the BRP 28" manual vented windshield after a demo run with the standard OEM. The wife said the low windscreen was letting too much wind hit her. I'm 5' 10" and she's 5' 4", the tall shield makes it impossible for me to see over even when in the down position which I really dislike. I added the adjustable BRP air wings because I felt like I was sitting in a bubble and not getting enough air, the air wings helped. After all said and done, I really wish I would have tried the extra large F4 which I knew nothing about at the time of our purchase.(my bad).... "Still, This bike is the BEST thing that we have ever bought for ourselves"...."Life is Good"...Safe riding to you and yours "Down Under".......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Hello Pete, The F4 has options on their 28" tall & extra wide windshield to add an adjustable vent if you want one. I think if you look at their site you will see the vent they add. If he is looking for side air wings then Baker Built on our home page are one of the best if not the best.
    Ahhhhhhh. You are referring to the vent actually in the shield, Copper…..gotcha. I thought you were referring to the small separate vents shown at each side at the bottom of the screen in that photo….. my apologies.

Pere
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Pete, When we bought our 2020RTL we had the dealer add the BRP 28" manual vented windshield after a demo run with the standard OEM. The wife said the low windscreen was letting too much wind hit her. I'm 5' 10" and she's 5' 4", the tall shield makes it impossible for me to see over even when in the down position which I really dislike. I added the adjustable BRP air wings because I felt like I was sitting in a bubble and not getting enough air, the air wings helped. After all said and done, I really wish I would have tried the extra large F4 which I knew nothing about at the time of our purchase.(my bad).... "Still, This bike is the BEST thing that we have ever bought for ourselves"...."Life is Good"...Safe riding to you and yours "Down Under".......Bill
    Fantastic…..thanks Bill. Yes, I can easily see over the top of the 2-3” taller F4 and Madstad screens I have bodgied up, even in the “fully up” position, so air still reaches the top of my helmet, so the 28” BRP Touring screen won’t be in my line of sight…..plus I also have added the adjustable side body vents……they work well, don’t they.

My major concern is that the “narrow at the top” 28” BRP Touring screen may expose a lot of my upper body as it looks very narrow at the top (and there’s a lot of upper body to expose). What’s your gut feel for the width? Do you think the 25” stock BRP screen would be the same width across the top as 25” high on the 28” Touring screen? (if that makes any sense ). If yes, then the 28” BRP Touring screen is probably the way I will go, as the stock BRP 25” screen provides me with ideal protection for my requirements, apart from helmet buffeting.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.