Spyder Garage

Default Solved, it was the speedsensor

Hi all !

Was going for a ride and stopped to fill the tank before heading out.
    After paying for fuel we got on and I started up my 2012 RT SE5, rolled a few yards and tada; "ABS fault" and "limp home mode" flashing towards me
    Prior to arriving the gas station everything was as normal, so why does this happen all by itself ?

I pulled the faultcodes:
    Faultcodes.jpg

Also not sure about the condition on the rear sensor here, broken ?
    ABS Sensor.jpg

I have changed the rear sensor once before and it's a heck of a job I know.
    Why did they put the connector in the "no reach" zone? Half the bike have to be dismounted

So, I reckon there is no other option than taking it to a dealer and see if they can hook it up and figure it out ! And btw, brand new battery innstalled last week, so no power issues.
    Last edited by NorwegianRT; 05-12-2022 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Solved

Spyder Garage

I would pull that sensor and do a clean up job on it. Looks like a lot of dirt and maybe corrosion there. It doesn't take much to interfere with the signal that the sensor needs to read. I would also clean the ABS "ring" on the wheel. These ABS systems really aren't that complicated, but those components do need to be reasonably clean and free of crud in order to function. Crud blocking the signal will throw a code because the computer isn't seeing the rear properly. I hope your issue is as simple as a good cleaning. Sometimes that's all it takes. My Moto Guzzi is very sensitive about a dirty sensor.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Please double check battery connections & load test battery. Multiple codes often related to that. Looks like most your codes still related to rear sensor unfortunately. C006C: VSS CAN issue; C003A: rear sensor failure; P0500: invalid or missing speed can; P2159: speed not plausible... All according to the Spyder Codes app (also, maybe add star washers to battery.)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2022 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Caps & code spaces... ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I would pull that sensor and do a clean up job on it. Looks like a lot of dirt and maybe corrosion there. It doesn't take much to interfere with the signal that the sensor needs to read. I would also clean the ABS "ring" on the wheel. These ABS systems really aren't that complicated, but those components do need to be reasonably clean and free of crud in order to function. Crud blocking the signal will throw a code because the computer isn't seeing the rear properly. I hope your issue is as simple as a good cleaning. Sometimes that's all it takes. My Moto Guzzi is very sensitive about a dirty sensor.
    Hi and thank you for advice Navydad
    Pulled the sensor and cleaned the abs ring aswell. Took it for a little ride to see if codes cleared, but no luck !
    Now I will check battery connections and load test it like Bfromla mention in post below. If no luck there, off to the dealer I go.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-19-2022 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Please double check battery connections & load test battery. Multiple codes often related to that. Looks like most your codes still related to rear sensor unfortunately. C006C: VSS CAN issue; C003A: rear sensor failure; P0500: invalid or missing speed can; P2159: speed not plausible... All according to the Spyder Codes app (also, maybe add star washers to battery.)
    Hi Bfromla !

Will do that tomorrow and I think I have those washers in a box somewhere in my garage. If not I'll drive to where I used to work and "borrow" some ! Ty for advice
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-19-2022 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

How much of a air gap do you have between the sensor and plate, it don't look like much from the picture! If the end of that has hit the plate and gouged it, you know the answer to that!! Sorry!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hi Mikey

Checked the clearance today and it is almost 2 millimeters, so that should be ok I think. But somehow it looks like something has hit the sensor, maybe some gravel on one of my rides ?
    Leaving it to the dealer to figure it out now.

Spyder Garage

New sensor ordered yesterday, so tomorrow I will start pulling of panels and have that part ready for when the sensor arrives.

When new sensor is innstalled, should all fault codes go away by themselves ? Or do I have to go have it hooked up to a pc for reset ?

Have a wonderfull weekend all and happy rides !

Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

All is dismounted and just waiting for new sensor to show up ! Hope it will be here soon, but not plasing any bets on it.
    Screenshot_20220428-191033_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220428-191140_Gallery.jpg

Good oportunity to wash where I usually can not reach !
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Default New speedsensor in place today !

New sensor arrived today and are innstalled.
    All parts back on the bike and I had a short test ride. All fault codes are gone and bike acting normal again

Have a great weekend all and happy rides !
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Default Forgot to mention !

While waiting for the new sensor I got the lift I ordered from England.
    Put it together and it was great to use and operate
    Sure gonna be used next oil change!

Big Blue lift.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-18-2022 at 09:02 AM. Reason: it ;-)
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Martin thanks for letting us know the resolution and that you are back on the road.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Martin thanks for letting us know the resolution and that you are back on the road.
    Thank you sir, great to be back in the saddel Have a wonderfull summer and safe rides !
    Brgds Martin