Spyder Garage

Default Please: Newbie needs help with BRP Connect?!?

What am I doing wrong?

I recently purchased a new 2021 RT Limited.

I followed all the instructions to try to get BRP connect to work but I cannot get any maps etc to show on the Spyder display. Watched videos too.

Here’s what I did:
    1. Downloaded BRP Go from App Store.

2. Installed a number of compatible apps using BRP Go, such as Genius Maps and AccuWeather.

3. Connected my iPhone 12 iOS v15 to Spyder using Bluetooth.

4. Unlocked phone and started BRO Go on phone.

5. Plugged phone into USB on Spyder using OEM cable.

6. The phone’s screen showed “Connection Successful” and to leave the phone unlocked and connected.

7. I pressed the Phone button on the left handlebar. Several apps appeared on the Spyder screen including Genious and AccuWeather.

8. I select one of the apps using the joystick button and immediately my phone launches the selected app. (Was that supposed to happen?)

9. However, on the Spyder screen it shows “Loading”, after 10-15 seconds followed by “Please check your phone”. My phone still shows the app I selected has started up fine.

10. I select the green arrow next to “Please check your phone” using joystick. I then get the message “Application not Available”

I have technology skills and I’ve tried everything to try to get this to work.

Can anyone help?

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2022 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How does it work?' Question not a 'How to:' DIY explanation.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Your question....'What an I doing wrong'. My answer....'trying to use a very poor product(BRP Connect). This has been a sore subject among CanAm riders ever since it came out. In my opinion, not worth the effort.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Double check updates all around, no guarantees, just 1 step of elimination. Believe using a cable defeats Bluetooth issues, however, it may not automatically disconnect. Unfortunately there has been a plague of various “Connect” problems. Good Luck. The main thing is to keep calm & sane while attempting.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2022 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Keira = keep ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

gave up a long time ago and just settle for pairing my phone, helmet, and GPS, and not worrying about the Spyder. BRP needs to ditch it and adopt Apple Play or similar.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

You have uncovered one of very the few poor pieces of engineering for the Can AM Spyders.
    I think the bike is great, their cell phone to bike software (BRP Go) stinks!

I have 2019 F3 limited I bought new.
    It took me some time to get the apps working with my Samsung Note 20 Ultra, bit I eventually got the BRP connect app to work.
    I installed both Sygic GPS Maps and Genius Maps.
    I selected and bought Genius Maps. I found out after the fact that i had to also buy a "connector" app to get turn by turn directions over my bike stereo.
    Last year BRP released BRP Go which replaced BRP Connect on the app store.
    It was supposed to be better. I installed it, de-installed and went through all kind of effort to make BRP Go work with Genius maps but, BRP Go broke Genius Maps; an App I paid a fair amount of money for.
    I e-mailed Genius maps support multiple times and got zero response from them.
    I eventually found a copy of the BRP Connect app on the internet (it was no longer availabe on Android Play) and installed it.
    This fixed Genius Maps.

I like Genius Maps, they provide regular map updates but, I cannot recommend it as an app when they cant respond to e-mails to help solve user problems.
    I sure wish BRP would update BRP Go app so it works decently.
    We pay a lot of money for a nice well engineered bike and then BRP hamstrings it with crap user software. WTF BRP!!!!
    I have not messed with BRP Go since I reverted back to BRP Connect about three months ago.

I recognize you are using an Apple iPhone so your issues and solution may not be different than mine.
    There is a common theme...the BRP apps is flaky at best not functional for many.

Some people have found it best to use the cell phone directly with Bluetooth-enable earphones as a much better, more reliable solution.

I hope you enjoy your new Spyder and can find an acceptable work around for your audio!

Mike
    2019 F3 Unlimited , Oxford Blue Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

Pcollinsmp, it sounds like you are doing everything right. One of the “gotchas” with BRP Go is that they mandate that you use the phone’s OEM cable. I have seen issues like yours when I have used a 3rd party cable, but whether that is your particular issue is hard to tell.

Unfortunately, after giving BRP Connect and its successor BRP Go a long trial, I am one of those who has put BRP Go in the “too hard” basket as it drops out too easily, needs a Spyder restart to reconnect and ties up the phone. Like many others I am now using BT phone/helmet/Zumo XT as my go to. It’s basically a good product, but just too flaky as yet for me in real life.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I use BRP Go with Sygic all the time with very little issues. Some things you need to be aware of as follows.

1. Be sure that the phone is only connected to the bike via Bluetooth and not to your helmet as well.

2. The dash requires both Bluetooth and cable connection for it to work, hence the above so before trying to launch any apps. (Loading... is gone from the screen)

3.When you first install a supported app, make sure you manually launch the app so you can approve the various permissions required for the app before you try to use it in the dash.

4. The BRP Go app has to be the foreground app so make sure under the BRP Go app OS settings that you allow on top option is allowed, if not you may have to bring the BRP go app to the foreground. If you don't you will get the stuck loading on the Spyder display.
    Last edited by shardt; 04-17-2022 at 09:25 AM.
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I do not know if it's relevant (or if it applies to iOS), but something that I discovered the other day...

Make sure the phone is connected via Bluetooth BEFORE you plug in the USB cable. I did this the first time the other day.
    Typically, I will plug in the phone, turn the key, and start the bike while I am getting myself situated with my helmet, gloves, shades, etc.
    Coming back from a friend's house, I forgot to plug in the phone, so I stopped a few minutes down the road, and I plugged it in.

The entire right side of my display morphed into a BRP app display. I was able to view "now playing," switch play lists, and otherwise operate my Spotify app
    through the bike's radio. I haven't had a chance to try and duplicate it yet.

My bike is a 21 RTL, My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S21

--Exco

Spyder Garage

Sign into Facebook and search for the "BRP Go/Connect User Group". Susan Coles is the moderator. She can help you. She uses an Iphone.
    2021 RT Limited Asphalt Gray
    Halo Skid
    Driver's backrest
    2" riser w/ F3 standard handlebars
    F4 vented 25" windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    Sign into Facebook and search for the "BRP Go/Connect User Group". Susan Coles is the moderator. She can help you. She uses an Iphone.
    Thanks! I’ll do that!

Peter

Spyder Garage

Thanks Shardt. Seems like number 4 has promise! I’ll
    Give it a try

Peter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcollinsnp View Post
    Thanks! I’ll do that!

Peter
    Don't forget to agree to rules and answer question. Then you automatically get approved.

(Many groups have rules and/or questions.)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2022 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a quick n dirty video on the new BRP Go. I plug the phone in before or after I start the bike. Bluetooth takes warming up before it works right. Not sure why? weird. Sometimes its perfect and sometimes it choppy for the first 2-3 minutes.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Very helpful video for a noob to the New RT. Thank you. What is the phone Mount you are using?
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

I did not like the half screen map look so went back using my Magellan GPS with directions through bike speakers and using IPhone XM radio for tunes.