Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Well....it broke.

2022 Ryker Rally with 193.5 miles on it. Just put sling mod headlight kit with 2:1 splitter. Started multiple times just fine while testing each side as I progressed with the install. Now it's throwing VSS codes so it won't start. Oh well.....guess I won't be riding till sometime next month.
    2019 Rally , Black with red panels

Spyder Garage

Which slingmods headlight kit?

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When you were installing the 2:1 splitters to power the new integrated turn portion of the new headlight from the fender turns, the wheel speed sensor wiring may have been disturbed. Check wiring at each of the front wheels.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes, it sounds like you broke it!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2022 at 05:49 PM. Reason: ,' '

Spyder Garage

Checked all the wiring. Everything is good. Just throwing VSS codes. But I have a feeling I broke it. It's just what happens with me. And the headlight kit I did was the full assembly replacement with integrated drl lights on it. They work. lol

Spyder Garage

I would check/charge your battery. Possibly ran the battery down starting it multiple times. Low voltage will throw a vss code
    2019 Ryker 900 ACE
    2021 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I am not familiar with ryker but two things come to mind. Did you lift it and spin the tires accidentally while changing lights etc? I’d disconnect battery for sure. Like Kevin said above, I’d charge it and place back in. Being a 2022 that battery has probably been sitting around since late 2020 early 2021 due to pandemic. Are you getting any gauges or anything at start up?

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Battery is charged. Gauges come on and it's has the VSS code. I never lifted the bike off the floor.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully someone can verify this for a ryker but on the RT remove the battery totally. Take out and set on floor. With battery out, Touch both leads together on bike for 30 seconds. Let sit for a few minutes. This part might be different for ryker. Now that all residuals charge is gone, Turn key on, “with battery out,” and hold leads together for 30 seconds or more, then turn key off. This will cold restart you computer. Make sure battery is charged by putting on charger to let it boost itself “not in bike!”. Battery might be stunted so put on charger to get active again. Then reinsert battery. Make sure you turned key off before doing so. This might clear the Code. If code still is there then it’s a dealer visit.

Spyder Garage

That is ALL good advice but I don't understand what taking the battery out of the bike is going to do! The bike doesn't take power threw the bike by osmosis! Just unhooking it and taking your key, or fob in this case away from the bike would do the deed I would think! The rest is sound advice! It truly sounds like there is a pissed off system, or a missed step in starting!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Correct Mikey , The battery doesn’t need to be removed but for “ safety and to assure nothing touches the battery leads” like tenders wires, accessories fuse blocks, battery nut or accidentally grounding the batteries positive, i like removing the battery for safety of electronics on the machine. The first time he holds the bike leads together and touches the battery accidentally with a piece of metal in the tight setting everything goes wrong and much more problems. When he lets the leads rest for a few minutes and goes to turn key on and wires slip over battery more problems. Yes fuses should catch it by why take chance. It takes 3-4 minutes top to remove.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 04-17-2022 at 08:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

disconnecting battery leads and touching them for 30 sec, drains charges in capacitors, lets your system start fresh. Thought: you might disassemble the mod and see if no codes. Then re-inset the mod. A "rebooting" exercise? Most dealers don't like working on bike with non-factory mods
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

I would un-install everything back to OEM and see if that solves the issue.
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

Disassembled and same thing. I had the battery out for nearly 24 hours due to Easter and still the same thing. Just a VSS code that won't let the bike start. Dealership will be getting the bike today. And my dealership actually installs all the mods from Slingmods with no complaints. I'll keep this updated as I get more information.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    disconnecting battery leads and touching them for 30 sec, drains charges in capacitors, lets your system start fresh. Thought: you might disassemble the mod and see if no codes. Then re-inset the mod. A "rebooting" exercise? Most dealers don't like working on bike with non-factory mods
    this is the same method I used on my 2014 RT when it was kicking the DESS error. It worked like a charm.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Can you pull the codes?

Spyder Garage

The bike won't even get far enough to pull codes. Wrecker will be here shortly to pick it up. Once the dealer gets it, they will keep me informed. It is what it is. Just leave me to drive my vette instead.

Spyder Garage

Probably too late for you, but for future reference fault codes should be viewable by simply pressing the lower button on the display panel.

Spyder Garage

The bike does not need to start to view the codes.

Spyder Garage

I'm betting its a weak battery. Enough juice to power the dash and lights, but not enough to turn the motor over. Weak battery will through the code and these OEM batteries are wimpy to say the least. I never had a battery issue with mine, but it was always on a battery maintainer when not being used.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Battery isn't the issue. I ran not only the original oem but also my brand new replacement.

As for pulling codes, the guages cluster wouldn't even fully come on. No way to check if it's not activating.

But it's at the dealership now and waiting to be diagnosed. Will keep you updated as I learn more of what happened.

Spyder Garage

Well, got an update. ECU failure. So now waiting for new one.

Spyder Garage

Well, at least you have a diagnosis. That is half the battle
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zusafek View Post
    Well, got an update. ECU failure. So now waiting for new one.
    My question is this: Are they replacing the ECU on their dime, or are they making you pay? Just wondering, my experience with other service departments for tractors and equipment has me feeling that they will be saying that since you attempted to install non factory approved accessories by a non approved service worker(insert lawyer gooblygook) it's your dime for all of it or part of it.
    Last edited by Beginner; 04-23-2022 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typos, cant type coffee hasn't kicked in yet

Spyder Garage

The dealership has it covered under warranty. No charge to me. The only thing I'm paying for is first service that I want them to do. I should hopefully have my bike back by the time I get home in about 3 weeks.