Spyder Garage

Default Why are there different screw fittings on 1 bit of tupperware?

Why are there multiple head fittings for simple machine screws on 1 bit of tupperware on these Can-Am's?
    Pulled 1 bit off. 3 types of screws plus push pins. No logic to it.

The only reason I can come up with is the manufacturer is deliberately attempting to obfuscate work on them.

Thinking I will sort out selection of 1 head type machine screws, probably hex/allen type and swap them out like for like re head size and length as I work my way over this ride. They are light torques and hold next to no weight after all.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Why are there multiple head fittings for simple machine screws on 1 bit of tupperware on these Can-Am's?

The only reason I can come up with is the manufacturer is deliberately attempting to obfuscate work on them.

Thinking I will sort out selection of 1 head type machine screws, probably hex/allen type and swap them out like for like re head size and length as I work my way over this ride. They are light torques and hold next to no weight after all.
    Are you looking at a couple of security screws on one of the pieces of tupperware? If so, they are security screws to keep you from taking them off since they hold nubbins that insert into rubber bushings. Other than that on my RT all the screws are torx head except allen head to hold the handlebar and one oil drain on the engine. What screws are you referring to? How about a pic or two? Push pins are used mostly where a low profile head is needed under tupperware.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Doesn't really matter if it goes into nubbins does it? Still a fixing screw. Low torque. Still have to remove them to remove the panel.
    You mention the torx head except allen head. There are also these. Not sure what the generic name is for them. Don't really matter. It's the 3rd screw type fixing method on 1 bit of tupperware.

20220417_050122.jpg

I recently did pulley work and replaced a headlight lamp. So those are the bits I have noticed so far.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2022 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have an RT, not an F3 so I probably should have kept my keyboard silent!! On the RT the security screws hold nubbins onto the middle side piece. I'm guessing the molding process wasn't amenable to molding the nubbins into the side piece so the nubbins were secured to the plastic with the security screws. They never need to be taken off since the nubbins push into rubber grommets to hold the tupperware in place. As for the screw you have the photo of, I don't recall seeing one like it at all on the RT. I wonder if it was used to replace a button head torx screw that got lost somewhere. Did you buy the F3 new or used? If used then I'm sure it's a replacement screw, not original. It just doesn't look like a typical BRP screw.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2022 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Fixed removed quote display

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not exactly sure why, but geezus that spider profile pic of yours sure gives me the heebie-jeebies.

What the hell is that, and is it poisonous ??
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Profile pic?
    super quick and 18" across. Known to have a crack at small children. Excruciating death if bitten... yeah - nah. Not really.

Its a Huntsman Spider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopedella

Spyder Garage

Profile pic?
    super quick and 18" across. Known to have a crack at small children. Excruciating death if bitten... yeah - nah. Not really.

Its a Huntsman Spider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopedella
    I didn't even realize that your username is the genus of that spider.

I have such a wicked case of arachnophobia, it's not even funny. I've actually thought about visiting a coworker who has numerous types of tarantulas and attempting to overcome this irrational fear.

I really, really hate spiders, lol.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 04-16-2022 at 03:02 PM. Reason: edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

My bride of 45 years is spider averse. Her older brother used to have lots of different ones, mostly large ones and used to chase her around with them. So your not alone there. If she finds one she will come and get me or unload a 1/2 can of spray on it. But wont pick it up and pop it in the bin. Sometimes I come home and there is a jar over 1 waiting for me to dispose if it. I dont mind them. We also get Weta coming in from the bush area adjacent from the house. They can bite but mostly you can just grab them and pop them back to the bush.

1280px-Wetapunga.jpg

Spyder Garage

My bride of 45 years is spider averse. Her older brother used to have lots of different ones, mostly large ones and used to chase her around with them. So your not alone there. If she finds one she will come and get me or unload a 1/2 can of spray on it. But wont pick it up and pop it in the bin. Sometimes I come home and there is a jar over 1 waiting for me to dispose if it. I dont mind them. We also get Weta coming in from the bush area adjacent from the house. They can bite but mostly you can just grab them and pop them back to the bush.

1280px-Wetapunga.jpg
    Are you an entomologist ??

BTW, check out this video of a Hunstman carryiing a mice.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

No not at all. Used to spend a lot of time hunting deer in the NZ bush and mountains ( hence the Huntsman Spider I guess as my pic ) . Eating Venison and Trout mostly. Living in under tarps, makeshift bivouacs or proper back country huts from time to time but usually avoided as they attract people stomping about and yahooing, not helpful for deer hunting. Week long - 10 day trips not uncommon. Chilling out really and not shooting everything I saw. Plenty of creepy crawlies to come across. They live there, we are just visiting. Most of them wont bother you too much. Long as their not into ya tucker or inside yr sleeping bag and crawling about their ok. haha
    Last edited by Isopedella; 04-16-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

That one is normally used on the battery terminals. I’d bet the previous owner was fitting a charging pigtail and discovered that the ordinal battery bolt was too short and swapped out the two screws.

If you want to see lunacy just wait until you have to change the battery. Pierre Poliquin has a video on replacing that on YouTube.
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I'm not F3 knowledgeable at all, but If you get one of the maintenance manuals (like bestshopmanuals), or go online to one of the detailed parts breakdowns (like powersportswarehouse or https://leadersrpmshop.com/part-lookup-diagram/, you'll likely find that the fastener you showed wasn't supposed to be where you found it. Occasionally on the RT's one panel will have 2 different size torx bits, and maybe even a push pin. but rarely mixed with something like you showed as built.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Dubliner, your location says anada. Please let me know where anada is. Anywhere near Canada?
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't really matter if it goes into nubbins does it? Still a fixing screw. Low torque. Still have to remove them to remove the panel.
    You mention the torx head except allen head. There are also these. Not sure what the generic name is for them. Don't really matter. It's the 3rd screw type fixing method on 1 bit of tupperware.

20220417_050122.jpg

I recently did pulley work and replaced a headlight lamp. So those are the bits I have noticed so far.
    My comment is actually ON TOPIC .... I have not seen that bolt on any of my three different Spyders .... and I've removed tupperware down to the frames .... could it be that someone who worked on your Spyder lost or didn't have one from BRP???? .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2022 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Could be from anything I guess, anything? It's a 2017 and I am the 3rd owner. In one panel Allens, torx, and that battery looking bolt were on both sides. And push pins. I swapped all the metal screws out for Allen heads.

That screw is the battery terminal type for sure but I don't think it was the right metal. Don't they use some special type of metal for the bolt??It's in the jar now.

The battery wasn't too much drama when I fitted a battery pigtail. About what I expected. I like the set up with the relays and stuff above.

I took a photo. 4 push pins and the insert lifts right out from memory.

20220320_160748.jpg

I am getting a book type manual sent from the other side of the world and it's on route.
    I also managed to get a pdf type one. Wow. 1001 pages. Light reading.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 05-17-2022 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display