Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default oh my... low psi on car tire on Spyder works...

I've been on here a long time but could not bring myself to low(to me) psi for car tires on Spyder.
    mostly because under-inflation is a cardinal sin in my job but I finally went to low psi and my.... it works
    I went to 14 in front and 18 in rear with all car tires(name left out on purpose)...
    much better grip and no more of floating feeling on hard curves.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I've been on here a long time but could not bring myself to low(to me) psi for car tires on Spyder.
    mostly because under-inflation is a cardinal sin in my job but I finally went to low psi and my.... it works
    I went to 14 in front and 18 in rear with all car tires(name left out on purpose)...
    That's because your Spyder weighs A LOT less than your typical car.

And why would you leave out the name of the tire ?? Wouldn't you want to share your experiences to others who are wondering if that tire is right for them ??
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 04-15-2022 at 11:54 PM.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well glad you are on board ..... However do you think Peter and I have been making up the " Tire Science " ..... IMHO 14 psi FRONT is ok for casual riding but I keep mine at 17 psi ,.. because I like it better in the " Twistie's " when I'm usually Pi**ing off Ms. Nanny .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-16-2022 at 01:06 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

what was the consensus psi? front and back with car tires? I am definitely on aggressive side.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    That's because your Spyder weighs A LOT less than your typical car.

And why would you leave out the name of the tire ?? Wouldn't you want to share your experiences to others who are wondering if that tire is right for them ??
    it was to not to start tire side of story but I have quatrac in 165 which I am sure most people here are familiar with in front and continental in rear( I don't remember which and hate, it came highly recommended but that may have been good for RT but not for RS)
    Last edited by aka1004; 04-16-2022 at 12:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

it was to not to start tire side of story but I have quatrac in 165 which I am sure most people here are familiar with in front and continental in rear( I don't remember which and hate, it came highly recommended but that may have been good for RT but not for RS)
    " Continental " .... I have Not recommended that brand for a few reasons .... the TWO best choices currently are the Quatrac and the Michelien Cross Climate ..... Mike .... TIRE psi .... AUTO tires only = 15 to 17 front & 18 rear ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

That's still a sin aka, it's just that like Peacekeeper & others have said, your Spyder weighs a whole LOT less than the average car!

Just keep in mind that while a really heavy stretch limo might need saay 45psi in the car tires it runs to do the necessary job under the heavy load the limo imposes; putting the very same tire on a much lighter Ford Focus means that you won't need anywhere near 45 psi in those same tires to carry the significantly lighter load imposed by the Focus cos it weighs in at about 1/2 the weight of the stretch limo - instead you'll likely only need something closer to saaay, 28-30psi.... . In a similar vein, taking that very same car tire that needs something like 30psi to carry the Ford Focus & putting it on a Spyder that weighs a LOT less again means that it just isn't going to need 30psi in it to carry the even lighter load of the Spyder - and running lower pressures like the 14/18 psi you have under your Spyder ISN'T under-inflating those tires, it's just that the lighter load of your Spyder doesn't need as much air pressure in those car tires as they would need if they were carrying a much heavier car or an even heavier stretch limo!

That said, like Mike, I usually run my tires a little higher in the front when I'm working it hard in the twisties, but I still wouldn't generally recommend going too much below 12-14psi in any car tire fitted to a Spyder, cos not only would it likely start costing you in terms of getting noticeably fewer miles per gallon, but pressures any lower than that very likely WOULD be under-inflating them, especially for running anything much more than saaay 30 mins at hwy speeds on the open road, &/or if you are working it hard thru the twisties. But now you've tried them, those lower pressures in car tires really do work pretty well under your Spyder, don't they?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2022 at 12:54 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

While I dont usually ride aggressively there are the odd Ye Ha moments when I get into a corner maybe a bit hot.
    Bit of practice is time well spent so there are no surprises and you know within yourself, well its not really a big deal.

Watching with interest.

Spyder Garage

I for one, was also sceptical bout the lower pressure, but after biting the bullet I run 1.2 Bar (17.5 psi) in the fronts, Michelin Cross Climate's - rear 2.4 bar (34 psi) still on the crapenda
    AND I JUST LOVE IT.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2022 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Added psi... ;-)
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " Continental " .... I have Not recommended that brand for a few reasons .... the TWO best choices currently are the Quatrac and the Michelien Cross Climate ..... Mike .... TIRE psi .... AUTO tires only = 15 to 17 front & 18 rear ..... Mike
    What’s your reason for not recommending Continentals I have them on my Spyder 50000miles so far still plenty of tread left

Spyder Garage

Hell .. I just set my new Fobo II numbers to 18/18/18. I'll stick with it unless something feels wonky

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Hell .. I just set my new Fobo II numbers to 18/18/18. I'll stick with it unless something feels wonky
    I run 18 all the way around. Lots of two up riding and hit the twisties pretty hard. 18 in all three works for me and it's easy to remember.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

REAR TIRE:-

I had 17.5psi in my Kumho Ecsta for 4 seasons. The centre of the tread was wearing down faster than the outsides.

This season I have 15psi in the hope of making it last longer.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    What’s your reason for not recommending Continentals I have them on my Spyder 50000miles so far still plenty of tread left
    Well 50,000 + miles ..." and plenty of tread left " .... would be reason #1, ...... that reports that it isn't very good in the wet ...or dry for that matter ....would be #2 .... and taking the advice of those who rely on " Butt theory " would be #3 .... etc etc .... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-13-2022 at 07:22 PM. Reason: woul;d - would ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    50K miles on the same tire? That tire compound has to be hard as a rock.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I just installed our FOBO's this week and they all got set at 17.7 fronts and rears. Q5's on mine Q's on the MRS.
    Will adjust as the outside temps increase during the Summer.

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 04-16-2022 at 11:40 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

18 seems to be the up and coming magic number for PSI all the way around. I'm using almost the same settings, but if you have FOBO's you can watch those numbers change by the hour, they're nonstatic for many reasons. I'm pretty anal about my PSI MPG and PSA. So I'm glad to see we all seem to be in the same ballpark at least for safety reasons anyway.

Spyder Garage

I just put 3 new car tires on my RTS ( Kumho Escta 225/50R15 ) & ( Sincera 165/65R14 ) about 2 weeks ago ... I put 20 lbs. in each of them , have only put maybe 200 miles on it so far , but... handles and rides really good . good for me anyway.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have put the new Quatrac's on the Front/Back.

165/60/15 on the front

205/60/15 on the rear.

16 is the magic number all of the way around for me and if I go to 17-18 my rear tire starts chirping when going around corners.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I have put the new Quatrac's on the Front/Back.

165/60/15 on the front

205/60/15 on the rear.

16 is the magic number all of the way around for me and if I go to 17-18 my rear tire starts chirping when going around corners.
    IMHO " chirping " = Traction .... not a bad thing ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Chirping is the sound you get to tell you that you are on the hairy edge, of that tire's traction for the set up! Push it any harder and you will see where you been instead of where you are going! Driving Autocross taught me that, I have done a few loopy loops!! Hell of a lot of fun with a car, not so much with a BIKE!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have 22-23 in my Kumho Ecsta rear on my F3 and it slips when I downshift pretty easy. Wears great but stock tire was better. IMO

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I have 22-23 in my Kumho Ecsta rear on my F3 and it slips when I downshift pretty easy. Wears great but stock tire was better. IMO
    Because that Kumho is a Car tire at your PSI ....it's 4 to 5 lbs psi to high ..... Ask Peter .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Many people seem to think that the Max Inflation listed on the tire is what they're supposed to be at. I've gotten into arguments with people over that when I tell them to use the decal inside the driver's door (usually). Tire manufacturer's don't know what vehicle that tire is going on or for what use.

If you want to get really precise, do the chalk or water test to set the pressures.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So few folks know about the water or chalk test. It's so simple and quick.