Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3L mirror shell keeps coming off

I have a 201.9 F3L that I absolutely love riding and everything about it, except for one thing - why do the mirror shells keep coming off when I hit a bump in the road?

This has happened twice so far. The first time my buddy behind me saw them (both R and L) fly off when I hit a bump and was able to recover them. They were a bit scratched but I have them and ordered another set of mirror shells. When I attached them I pushed the elbows on the clips outward to provide maximum contact with the housing. Didn't help as I lost both again.

I looked in the forum to research the topic and found the last posts about the subject was 3 years old.

Anyone come up with a new way to keep the mirror shells on in the last 3 years?

PS - Yes I try to avoid bumps in the roads but sometimes they can't be avoided.

Spyder Garage

I had that issue with my 16 F3T. I used a touch of clear silicone glue on each of the clip contacts. Never had that issue again. And because it is not exactly super strong, I can get them removed easily enough.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

This doesn’t help you, but they appear to have fixed in on the ‘21+ models, Dan. When I hit the significant pothole that dislodged my instrument cluster and front body panel clips on my ‘21 RTL, the covers did not budge. It may be worthwhile trying to find out just what BRP did to rectify the issue. I resorted to a small piece of tape in an inconspicuous spot on my ‘16 F3-L.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Someone suggested gasket sealer also. Sounds like that or the silicone glue method might work.

I’ll check out the 21s and see what BRP did to correct the issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    I have a 201.9 F3L that I absolutely love riding and everything about it, except for one thing - why do the mirror shells keep coming off when I hit a bump in the road?

This has happened twice so far. The first time my buddy behind me saw them (both R and L) fly off when I hit a bump and was able to recover them. They were a bit scratched but I have them and ordered another set of mirror shells. When I attached them I pushed the elbows on the clips outward to provide maximum contact with the housing. Didn't help as I lost both again.

I looked in the forum to research the topic and found the last posts about the subject was 3 years old.

Anyone come up with a new way to keep the mirror shells on in the last 3 years?

PS - Yes I try to avoid bumps in the roads but sometimes they can't be avoided.
    Lamont solved the problem.
    This may be a different fix however I remember Lamont mentioning the issue and recommended the clips be replaced with the ones like come on the 2020 + models

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/mirror-locks/
    Last edited by YPILOT; 04-14-2022 at 02:37 AM.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

i used silicone chalk
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Dang
    Although I have not had this issue with my 2019 F3L, as preventative maintenance I placed a length of clear two inch wide packaging tape on the underside of the mirror shell.

I’m not sure if this actually helps but thought it might do some good. I’m also not sure if there is any long term damage the glue in the tape will have on the paint.

Poasttown

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I actually had one to dislodge on my 2016 F3T, but it didn't fall completely off. It only came apart after the car ahead of me hit a deer carcass and kicked I leg bone up that actually smacked the mirror really hard. I am surprised that it didn't rip the entire thing off. It was a little shaky after that, but it never came off again. The mirrors on my current ride (2016 F3 Limited) and my wife's ride (2016 F3T) both seem pretty solid. But both have less than half the miles of my 2016 before I sold it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

This used to happen all the time on my 2019 F3T while riding on very bumpy secondary and gravel rutted roads. The solution I came up with was to put gorilla tape on the bottom of the mirror. This fixed it and it is not visible (unless you look under the mirror). I recently rode on a very bumpy road and the top part started to separate but only by about 1/2” before the gorilla tape arrested the movement and then at the end of the ride I tapped it with my hand to put it back in place. Simple solution that works really well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Emporia View Post
    This used to happen all the time on my 2019 F3T while riding on very bumpy secondary and gravel rutted roads. The solution I came up with was to put gorilla tape on the bottom of the mirror. This fixed it and it is not visible (unless you look under the mirror). I recently rode on a very bumpy road and the top part started to separate but only by about 1/2” before the gorilla tape arrested the movement and then at the end of the ride I tapped it with my hand to put it back in place. Simple solution that works really well.
    That’s what we do, too. Works great, can’t be seen.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I use black tape on top of mirror, seems to work for me...
    2019 F3 t , Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2019 F3L shell coming off

Quote Originally Posted by Whiz11 View Post
    I use black tape on top of mirror, seems to work for me...
    I am curious if this has been reported to BRP. Reason why I mention this is because I got an e mail response from BRP after asking about a fix for this issue.
    They said that I am the first one to report this.
    I responded that I thought that was weird cause there is a lot of discussion about this on Spyder Lovers

This was just a few minutes ago I sent that e mail back to them saying this
    Guess will wait to see what happens..if anything
    Thanks
    Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTN View Post
    I am curious if this has been reported to BRP. Reason why I mention this is because I got an e mail response from BRP after asking about a fix for this issue.
    They said that I am the first one to report this.
    I responded that I thought that was weird cause there is a lot of discussion about this on Spyder Lovers

This was just a few minutes ago I sent that e mail back to them saying this
    Guess will wait to see what happens..if anything
    Thanks
    Roger
    Short of calling their response a lie .... ummm! no I can't find a better word. My 2020 F3L has been in for their fix on 4 occasions under warranty. I now have an appointment for another fix, but this time, as I am now out of warranty a set of Magic Mirrors will be fitted. Hopefully those extra strong magnets will do the job that the clips fail to do.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    as I am now out of warranty
    Considering this is a pre existing problem that occurred many times during the warranty period, it should still be covered. I'd have a serious chat with the dealer about this...
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Short of calling their response a lie .... ummm! no I can't find a better word. My 2020 F3L has been in for their fix on 4 occasions under warranty. I now have an appointment for another fix, but this time, as I am now out of warranty a set of Magic Mirrors will be fitted. Hopefully those extra strong magnets will do the job that the clips fail to do.
    Last I knew the MM Magnets were only used on the RT 2010 thru 2020 (?) ... and not the newer ones. ..Mike

Spyder Garage

I recently returned from a 3400 mile trip thru Canada, Washington, Oregon and Northern Cali. I used gasket sealer on each of the clips and for extra measure (although my OCD side hates this part) I put a piece of clear packing tape on the underside of the mirror - half on the shell and half on the mirror base.

We went down a number of roads that were pretty bumpy but the housing shells stayed on.

It goes way beyond my OCD, perfectionist nature to put that piece of tape on the underside but it really doesn't show. Whether the gasket sealer alone or the tape alone would have been sufficient I can't say but I darn sure wasn't going to ride around several days that far from home in Texas with a missing or damaged housing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Last I knew the MM Magnets were only used on the RT 2010 thru 2020 (?) ... and not the newer ones. ..Mike
    I'll know for sure this Thursday when it is booked in for the fitting (I don't fix things myself any more). Only a disclaimer came with the pack, no fitting instructions. I'll keep in touch.

Spyder Garage

I'll know for sure this Thursday when it is booked in for the fitting (I don't fix things myself any more). Only a disclaimer came with the pack, no fitting instructions. I'll keep in touch.
    Yep! Spot on Blueknight911. My magic mirror set of magnets is for the models prior to my 2020. Something I missed in my research. I'm looking at silastic and flexible glues this afternoon, but not keen on doing that. Probably end up with the nuts and bolt option I read about some time ago. Nut and bolt assembly is probably strongest of all the options while leaving the light inside still accessable. Thinking, thinking, listening b4 actioning again.

Spyder Garage

Yep! Spot on Blueknight911. My magic mirror set of magnets is for the models prior to my 2020. Something I missed in my research. I'm looking at silastic and flexible glues this afternoon, but not keen on doing that. Probably end up with the nuts and bolt option I read about some time ago. Nut and bolt assembly is probably strongest of all the options while leaving the light inside still accessable. Thinking, thinking, listening b4 actioning again.
    Decision made: slingmods.com. Costs; US$26.95 plus freight to Oz US$35.00. No glues, no magnets, no worries???

Spyder Garage

Decision made: slingmods.com. Costs; US$26.95 plus freight to Oz US$35.00. No glues, no magnets, no worries???
    Razzle, just by way of clarification. The nut/bolt solution you are looking to buy for your F3 does NOT stop the covers from falling off. It is to correct the mirror vibration. The other issue is that the painted mirror covers fall off. This is a separate issue, and can only be rectified by adjusting the clips that the covers push into, or by something like a small piece of tape underneath. Hopefully I haven’t misunderstood what you are saying……..from the late ‘21 builds, both these issues were supposedly rectified by BRP. I have had no issue with either on my late built ‘21 RT, but my ‘16 F3-L certainly had both issues.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Razzle, just by way of clarification. The nut/bolt solution you are looking to buy for your F3 does NOT stop the covers from falling off. It is to correct the mirror vibration. The other issue is that the painted mirror covers fall off. This is a separate issue, and can only be rectified by adjusting the clips that the covers push into, or by something like a small piece of tape underneath. Hopefully I haven’t misunderstood what you are saying……..from the late ‘21 builds, both these issues were supposedly rectified by BRP. I have had no issue with either on my late built ‘21 RT, but my ‘16 F3-L certainly had both issues.
    My coverd have never fallen off, Peteoz. Each time (5 times total) it has been the complete mirror assembly/s hanging by its electric cable. I hope Slingmods bolts do the trick, leaving no longer any need for embarrasing black tape.

Spyder Garage

My coverd have never fallen off, Peteoz. Each time (5 times total) it has been the complete mirror assembly/s hanging by its electric cable. I hope Slingmods bolts do the trick, leaving no longer any need for embarrasing black tape.
    Ahhhhhhh. When you kept mentioning tape, I thought you must have had a cover issue as well, Razzle. Fingers crossed the new fasteners do the trick for you

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Thanks mate.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If Slingmods hasn't sent it yet ..... call and see if they will send it via USPS ...... USPS sells priority Mailing boxes ( that are good for international use ) for Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than $ 35.00 .... more like $10.00 depending on the size ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If Slingmods hasn't sent it yet ..... call and see if they will send it via USPS ...... USPS sells priority Mailing boxes ( that are good for international use ) for Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than $ 35.00 .... more like $10.00 depending on the size ..... good luck .... Mike
    Thanks Mike, but too late. It's in the system. Postage costs have almost completely stopped me from purchasing in the US and I'll keep an eye out for USPS in future. Probably save me a quid if I stop perusing US Spyder sites too, lol.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2022 at 04:32 AM. Reason: same - save ;-)