Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is training really needed to ride a Spyder?

I really love riding my Spyder RT, and do not regret trading in my Honda Goldwing for the Spyder for one moment. But when asked by a non-rider about getting a Spyder, and wondering about training, I said that while there is a learning curve as with any vehicle, anyone with a driver's license can likely get comfortable very quickly on a Spyder without formal training. I found that after almost 40 years of motorcycling, what took time on the Spyder was unlearning motorcycle habits. I had to stop reaching for the front brake and the clutch lever, stop trying to put my left foot down when stopping, and stop staying in the left third of the lane rather than the middle of the lane. A car driver has to get used to twisting the throttle instead of stepping on an accelerator pedal, and turning handlebars instead of a steering wheel, and that's pretty much it. I think taking any training is a good idea, whether it be trike specific or a basic motorcycle class, but I'm not convinced that its essential. And for those models that have a fully automatic type transmission, even less time is likely needed for a driver to become a rider. Am I wrong?
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I really love riding my Spyder RT, and do not regret trading in my Honda Goldwing for the Spyder for one moment. But when asked by a non-rider about getting a Spyder, and wondering about training, I said that while there is a learning curve as with any vehicle, anyone with a driver's license can likely get comfortable very quickly on a Spyder without formal training. I found that after almost 40 years of motorcycling, what took time on the Spyder was unlearning motorcycle habits. I had to stop reaching for the front brake and the clutch lever, stop trying to put my left foot down when stopping, and stop staying in the left third of the lane rather than the middle of the lane. A car driver has to get used to twisting the throttle instead of stepping on an accelerator pedal, and turning handlebars instead of a steering wheel, and that's pretty much it. I think taking any training is a good idea, whether it be trike specific or a basic motorcycle class, but I'm not convinced that its essential. And for those models that have a fully automatic type transmission, even less time is likely needed for a driver to become a rider. Am I wrong?
    .... Every person is going to have a different learning curve .... the folks who have NEVER been on a TWO wheel Mtc. IMHO have a big advantage. They have NOTHING to UNLEARN .... I had 50 + years on two wheels, but the dealer ( a friend ) said just drive it like a CAR, and ( in a safe place ) test the brakes .... I did this and had no difficulty making the transition. .... It took about 1000 + miles before I mastered my Spyder and now can keep up with most Crotch Rockets in the twistie's...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Like most skills, training comes in formal and informal learning. Formal training can cover many areas that seat-of-the-pants training may miss for some time or never experience. Personally, I have self-taught continuously since 17, been riding for 50+ years. I've read books and watched lots of 'how to' skills by 'experts' to fill in any gaps but nothing teaches better than DOING IT, whether formal or not..
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have BK beat on this one. It took me about 1500 miles before I was comfortable. Seven Spyders, 12 years, and over 150,000 Spyder miles and I am good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If someone has only ever driven a car, I'd recommend they take the Can-Am class. The value of the class isn't in how to drive one or feel comfortable because it's super easy to just twist and go--but the training has people learn and practice emergency maneuvers (braking, swerving, etc). Someone who's never been on two wheels and doesn't properly respect the dangers of being on a Spyder may one day find themselves in trouble. I don't think most people have the discipline to go to parking lots and practice emergency techniques unless they pay someone to force them in a class setting (plus that other person can show you what you're doing right and wrong).
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I think if a person reads about the vehicle and how to control it, especially in the curves, they can start slow and practice. That is what I did. Seller would not even let me take a test drive. So I low-balled her and she accepted my offer.

I searched out the most curvy roads in the area and rode on them for a week, beginning at slow speeds. To me, everything else is easy, compared to taking curves.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    If someone has only ever driven a car, I'd recommend they take the Can-Am class. The value of the class isn't in how to drive one or feel comfortable because it's super easy to just twist and go--but the training has people learn and practice emergency maneuvers (braking, swerving, etc). Someone who's never been on two wheels and doesn't properly respect the dangers of being on a Spyder may one day find themselves in trouble. I don't think most people have the discipline to go to parking lots and practice emergency techniques unless they pay someone to force them in a class setting (plus that other person can show you what you're doing right and wrong).
    Absolutely spot on!
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Absolutely spot on!
    Plus 1
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I had never driven any motorcycle or anything beyond a car. The training definitely helped in learning the emergency maneuvers. Now I knew about them due to my father and a few coworkers riding 2 wheels since they were kids but I'm glad that I got to practice them at the training. My 2 cents would be training should be required before getting on a Spyder.

I believe that the classes make some people rethink if riding is for them also. In my class I had a guy that zero throttle control and would spin the tire on the Rykers we drove. He couldn't get his grip at the correct position (I had trouble and had to re-adjust a lot). Then his wife could not go above the idle as she was scared out of her mind of the bike. The instructor had us roll down the gentle slope about 25 feet (didn't go above 1 mph) with the bike off and she instantly put her feet down and almost rolled over her own foot.

I think for complete newbies like me training is a good thing.
    2016 Spyder F3-S
    2016 F3-S , Black

Spyder Garage

Get the BRP sponsored training, if possible. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

Training is a good way to find out if you like riding a trike before spending thousands on something you don't like.
    I have seen this at motorcycle courses. Someone liked the idea of riding a bike, only to find out they hated it.
    Wind, bugs, rain, potholes, car drivers trying to kill them, over gunned on the bike they bought.
    You can buy the meanest toy out there, but you can't buy talent.
    Training is a good way to learn things you never thought of.

Spyder Garage

I agree. I had never ridden so in 2010 being 58 yrs. old and catching the motorcycle bug, I took and passed the 2-wheel MSF training course and got my M endorsement. I quickly found I was not comfortable on 2 wheels so searched for an alternative which turned out to be the Spyder RTL SE. I have been riding since 2012 (62,000 miles) and always use techniques from that class that I would not have picked up on my own. In 2016, I took the BRP sponsored class when my sweetheart chickened out and was able to reinforce those techniques.

Spyder Garage

In the training classes you work on an exercise to get you accustomed to panic/emergency braking and at the slow speeds of the training exercise it will nearly throw you through the windshield. I would hate to think about someone hitting the brake as hard as they can in a real emergency and not know ahead of time about being thrown* forward as forcefully as you will be during an emergency stop. For that alone the training is worth the time and money, IMHO.

*Yes I know your body is actually not decelerating as fast as the bike is vs being thrown forward but it certainly feels like you’re being thrown forward.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Your comments were right on!
    BIG F

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Learning Curve

...Well, Everyone will have to make a BIG Decision.
    AS for what You decide to do, that will be Your Choice.

My decision was to take some extra time to Learn how to handle a Spyder. The Can-Am class is a very good program and I enjoyed the training.

I would recommend taking a Class. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Depends on the rider.

A total newbie, yes.

An experienced rider, no.

I hopped on a Spyder for the first time and quickly got the hang of it in 5 minutes, only because I’ve been riding motorcycles for a better part of 30 years.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

For $99 and a few hours of your time, I don't think the training can be beat. The community college wanted $299 if booked directly through them, same course $99 through Can Am. I have ridden bikes for nearly 50 years, a lot of ingrained habits to unlearn. I went from "I'm going to take this evil handling thing back" to "hey, this can be fun" over the course of that class. I know it made me a better rider in a shorter period of time. I know there is no substitute for experience as a valid approach, but you can get killed before you get that experience accomplished. I think the training reduced those odds.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Learning how to handle the Spyder is not the end of it. Much of that can be learned by just doing it, but as others have said, learning emergency maneuvers, etc has to be taught. Also, what you don't learn without instructor led training is what is called No Zone riding and awareness of Object Fixation. Learning about those two aspects of riding my just save your life.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I learned alot in the Can Am training which was $49 for me. That, and constant parking lot training for the first couple of months helped as well.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Kind of hard to go to training when the closest is over 400 miles away.
    2021 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Depends on the rider.

A total newbie, yes.

An experienced rider, no.

I hopped on a Spyder for the first time and quickly got the hang of it in 5 minutes, only because I’ve been riding motorcycles for a better part of 30 years.
    I also got an F3L and had no problems at all, but I also rode 2 wheeler's, and did a lot of ATV riding, which my spyder reminds me of. If people have a lot of ATV experience, that helps... My Spyder has a fun factor which my 1500 Vulcan did not have any more for me... Gonna be 70 degrees this afternoon here in Northeast Pa... Gonna get out for the first time...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2022 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Caps & alott = a lot
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    Get the BRP sponsored training, if possible. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.
    You must have gotten a deal because I paid 99 dollars.

As far as is it needed? That all depends on the individual. Some need it more than others but, I thought it was fun and don't regret spending the 99 dollars. Plus here in Ga you get to skip the driver & written test for the MC license with the certificate that you get upon completion.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 04-12-2022 at 08:42 AM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

To each their own. If you have $100 and ~16 hrs, do it. If you only learn/unlearn 1 thing, it is well worth it. Experience is a great teacher unless that experience leads to injury or worse.
    BTW, congrats and welcome to the Spyderverse.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Honestly, the only reason I'd take the course is if it was required by the state, or if it'll save me money on insurance.

I just don't believe there's any NEW things I can learn....especially on some dinky parklng lot where you can't get any speed going and practice emergency/evasive maneuvers to its full effect.

In my opinion, of course.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

i would say depending on the state you live in, training is not only needed but mandatory in order to ride legally. I live in Washington (the state not the swamp). Here you need a three wheeled endorsement on your license in order to ride a three wheeled motorcycle. A two wheeled endorsement will not cover three wheeled motorcycles. The state no longer conducts skill tests for motorcycles, so in order to obtain the two or three wheeled endorsement, you must attend and pass the motorcycle safety/training course. Of course the knowledge you gain from attending these courses is beneficial, but from a strictly legal aspect, you have to take the course.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited