Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone used the BRP training certificate to get Tennessee motorcycle license?

Has anyone used the BRP training class certificate to obtain a Tennessee license? Will the state take the BRP certificate or does it have to be from the classes taken at Harley dealers?

Spyder Garage

If the training course meets the state criteria it doesn't matter who teaches it. If Can am is conducting safety/training classes in TN, that must mean they meet the states qualifications.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...istration.html
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    If the training course meets the state criteria it doesn't matter who teaches it. If Can am is conducting safety/training classes in TN, that must mean they meet the states qualifications.

there are a lot of slots open for the BRP Ryders Certification course at Mid-South Can Am in Clarksville, Tn. I called and they said the certification can be taken to the DMV to get your Tennessee motorcycle license.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

I agree that Tennessee should accept the certificate as it most likely is a Tennessee Certified Motorcycle Rider Education Program (MREP). Cyclelover63 should reach out to the listed location nearest his home on the BRP site for confirmation. However, Can am does not conduct the classes, but works with the trainers to provide the discounted price of the course.

Ride Safe!

Spyder Garage

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    Has anyone used the BRP training class certificate to obtain a Tennessee license? Will the state take the BRP certificate or does it have to be from the classes taken at Harley dealers?
    I'm a new Spyder owner/rider. I know this post is a couple of months old but I wanted to reply to the question because this is EXACTLY what I did to get my TN license. I went through the BRP website to sign up for the training, which was handled by a local company who performs both motorcycle and 3 wheeled/BRP training. I did the extra step of going to the TN gov website to make sure the local company was listed on the TN website as "approved trainers".

I took the course completion certificate to the DMV and once my number was called the whole process took 5 minutes. They DO still perform the eye test.

If you have any questions about the course or the process feel free to ask.

Spyder Garage

I'm in Middle Tennessee, and went through the BRP site to register, and did the basic 3-wheel course in a parking lot at a local college campus. The same training organization also does basic and advanced 2-wheel motorcycle classes, and is considering adding an advanced 3-wheel course.

I spent more time waiting in line at the BMV than I did once I was standing in front of an agent. I did the eye test, and they took a new picture.
    So two years later and the TN BMV still accepts the certificate as proof.

The training organization also gives you a card you take to your insurance agent, which gets you a discount on your motorcycle insurance.
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin