Spyder Garage

Spyder Adding a fuel door to my 2015 Spyder RT seat? Any advice?

Hi.... I'm looking to add a fuel door to my 2015 Can Am Spyder RTS seat. Are there automotive fuel doors that will work, if so, what is recommended? I plan on having my seat recovered and would like to inccorparate a fuel door similar to the Ultimate Seat fuel door assembly.

Any advice for this long haul Canadian Spyder Ryder?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2022 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine/size related

Spyder Garage

I looked up "RT fuel door" on the search function there in the upper right corner. Lots of threads on the fuel doors came up. Here is the link to the search result: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=3021934

On edit: Oops. The former link was from a earlier search I made that didn't get erased. That link above is to many threads about fuel doors on our Spyders. There are some especially good advice in the posts in the later entries.
    Last edited by ozarkryder; 04-10-2022 at 03:57 AM.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Mike (blueknight)has some good size info https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Fuel-Door-DIY

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Mike (blueknight)has some good size info https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Fuel-Door-DIY
    I just checked out this LINK , some good info see posts 48...53...54...56 .... However these are quite old in my Learning curve, I have posted much better info in later years. #-1 forget the 4.5 inch hole saw method, it's way to dangerous ( PS I learned how to do it BETTER after becoming a Vendor ) .... #-2 the hot nail or soldering iron, only needs to melt a hole in the SEAT material, then it's safe to drill a 1/4 inch hole. .... #-3 it's best to use the door RING as your template ... just put it against the seat ( where the gass hole is ) and burn two holes in the material, then drill the two holes .... then use long 1/4 in. bolts to Squeeze the seat material between the ring and the pan .... I learned to use " T " nuts on the inside of the Pan to mount the door .... Because of the way the pan is shaped the two holes closest the rear side of the seat would need to be very, very long .... don't bother just put two FAKE bolts from the Door Kit you bought, then use the other holes with small 1/4 in bolts ..... PS after you mounted the RING use a box cutter ( have a sharp blade ) To trim the seat cover inside the ring ( leave a small edge, this will keep the door from going inside ) .... I used a 2 inch hole saw to make a few large holes in the seat pan, then I used a Dremel ( or WEN brand tool - which is half the price of a dremel but uses the same size bits ) with a course stone to grind away the plastic ..... If any of this info is confusing PM me .....PPS look on E-bay for " Billet Aluminum GAS or FUEL door .... I've seen them as low as $25 shipped free .... be very careful it's NOT a FUEL door " COVER " ..... Mike PPPS .... type " Fuel Door " in the advanced post box ... then scroll down the list of Posters .... click on my POSTS and you will find all the relevant info .... the later the date of the post the better the info .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-09-2022 at 11:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Are you going to have the upholsterer mount the fuel door or are you going to do it yourself after the re-cover? The post from Mike will give you a very good plan for doing this mod. I did not cut away my seat cover but instead cut the material into pie wedges and folded them inside and glued the wedges down. This gave me a ledge for the door to stop against. I really enjoyed my gas door, but found my wife was always ready to get off for a break whenever we stopped; and with a trailer I no longer have to pile things on the seat so I have not put one on my new custom seat.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2022 at 07:20 AM. Reason: , ; ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Yes... My friend has a professional upholstery business. I really like your suggestion on how to cut the material! I plan a long trip to the east coast this summer and it would be ideal if I could modify my seat so that I can store something on my passenger seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderweber3 View Post
    Yes... My friend has a professional upholstery business. I really like your suggestion on how to cut the material! I plan a long trip to the east coast this summer and it would be ideal if I could modify my seat so that I can store something on my passenger seat.
    it can be done that way ..... I sent you a follow-up PM , about what I found ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would like to do this. I would like to get the pics please

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderweber3 View Post
    Hi.... I'm looking to add a fuel door to my 2015 Can Am Spyder RTS seat. Are there automotive fuel doors that will work, if so, what is recommended? I plan on having my seat recovered and would like to inccorparate a fuel door similar to the Ultimate Seat fuel door assembly.

Any advice for this long haul Canadian Spyder Ryder?
    Get in touch with Blueknight911( mike) he can help you with that.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by H20581 View Post
    I would like to do this. I would like to get the pics please
    type in " fuel door " in the search box ..... Any of my many posts will give you the best info ..... I put gas doors in quite a few Spyders both RT's and the older sportier GS RS types ..... I'm helping out Spyderweber3 above .... Unfortunately the large doors for RT's are few .... but the smaller ones ( which will also fit ) are still available ( they do need the PermaCAP II tho ) ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I added a fuel door to my 2016 RT-L last summer. I got a lot of good help from Mike ( blueknight). The most traumatic part was making that first cut in the upholstery.
    I did the pie shaped cut also, just cut it a little at a time. It would be easy to cut it too far and have it show from the outside. You need to stretch it pretty tight on the backside before gluing it. But I couldn't get the glue to hold it. On the advice of an upholstery shop, I got a Pneumatic staple gun and used 1/4 " staples so they didn't go thru too far.i was very happy how it turned out. I have pictures in a photo album on my Spyderlovers Page.
    I stapled another layer of matching vinyl on the inside to cover any metal from the nuts that might scratch the plastic.
    Last edited by george123; 04-14-2022 at 04:19 PM. Reason: explanation of added photo

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm trying to figure it out as well. Blueknight911 has excellent suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Hi George...You did a great job of your fuel door installation! I hope mine looks this good too!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, just take your time and check everything 3 times before you make any cuts in the vinyl or plastic. Better to make a series of small cuts, than a large one all at once.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue