Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there a correction for dodgy outside temp readings?

CAN Am still can't get this right I've had a 2011,2014,2018 and a 2021 all RT's and not one did I have a correct outside temperature .Is there a correction on this issue

Spyder Garage

Mine appears to be way off.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Ours are always within two degrees of each other, and give or take maybe two degrees from actual. That is close enough for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Isn’t the ambient temp sensor located in the air box? Help computer adjust accordingly, just happens to have a display on dash.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Yes its in the intake its the heat soak from the engine giving higher readings
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddjim View Post
    Yes its in the intake its the heat soak from the engine giving higher readings
    About 4-5 degrees higher on mine.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ivan View Post
    CAN Am still can't get this right I've had a 2011,2014,2018 and a 2021 all RT's and not one did I have a correct outside temperature .Is there a correction on this issue
    Your mistake in this is in thinking of that reading on the dash as an 'outside temperate reading'.... it's NOT, no matter what some salesman &/or marketing bod/publicity blurb might try to con you &/or unaware potential buyers into thinking!

Because of where the sensor is (which is under the tupperware & pretty much right on top of the engine ) at absolute best you're only ever going to get something akin to the 'under-tupperware pre-heated intake air temp' ... which is possibly handy for the engine/computer, but for anyone/anything else it's really nothing more than a vague indicator of how hot the ambient air is after it's been pre-heated by reflection off the road surface; heated some more by the sun beating down on the tupperware; and then cooked for a while by the heat rising off the engine!

Giving you a true indication of ambient or outside air temp would involve adding at least a whole 'nother sensor; locating it somewhere that isn't exposed to direct sunlight; isn't under the tupperware; and isn't going to be subjected to radiant heat from the exhaust &/or heat soak from the engine - sooo, all that means is that it'd cost some design time and a bit of money.... which basically means that unless there's some way of passing those costs plus some profit on to purchasers in a manner they both accept & are happy with, it just isn't ever gonna happen!

So, all that means is that it's best to stop thinking of it as 'outside' or 'ambient' temperature - It's not, it never will be! But it is reasonably good/fairly accurate at telling you what the air temp under the tupperware & on top of the engine is!

Just Ryde More, & Worry (about the temperature displayed on the dash) Less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2022 at 01:33 AM. Reason: is :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Air Temperature

...What Peter A said. Air temperature under the plastic. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Shawn Smoak said the 2022 models have the temp sensor relocated

Spyder Garage

The other thing that is never accurate is the time. You think that it would auto sync via satellite just like most cars do…
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Mines not that far off, of course if it's been sitting on hot tar for a while it takes a few miles for it to settle out to the correct temp, but for the most part it's maybe a degree or two!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    The other thing that is never accurate is the time. You think that it would auto sync via satellite just like most cars do…
    I think that is variable from unit to unit. Mines not off over 2 minutes between time changes.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Mine is consistently +4 compared to the other bikes I'm riding with. No clue where their sensors are located. After a lunch stop, the temp is usually near 100 at re-start but falls back quickly.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Not to be too snarky, we try to remind ourselves that our Spyders are motorcycles and not thermometers and appreciate them for what they are.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

My air temp is pretty good, but the clock sucks. Then again I'm retired, I just watch the sun.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I made a dash mount for " stuff" and one of the things on it is a proper analog clock. Same companyhttp://www.formotionproducts.com/shop make a thermometer of the same style--- both large enough to be seen with these old eyes.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This was addressed on the new 2022 spyders and the sensor was relocated. Here it is on a 2021. You can relocate it yourself, but may need extension wires.
    IMG_20220409_142642308.jpg
    On 2014-2019 models, the ambient temp sensor is located as shown in the photo below.
    IMG_20220409_154709518.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 04-09-2022 at 02:51 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    This was addressed on the new 2022 spyders and the sensor was relocated. Here it is on a 2021. You can relocate it yourself, but may need extension wires.
    IMG_20220409_142642308.jpg
    On 2014-2019 models, the ambient temp sensor is located as shown in the photo below.
    IMG_20220409_154709518.jpg
    There is downright confusing information going on here. My 2014 RT service manual shows two locations for an Ambient Air Pressure and Temperature Sensor, AAPTS. One is the same as Joel shows for 2014 - 19. But here is another AAPTS location shown in the air tunnel in the frunk.

AAPTS location.JPG

I know this one exists because I've disconnected/connected the harness to it. When I test rode the bike after some work where I removed the frunk I got a VSS or limp mode error, I don't recall which. The error went away, of course, after I reinstalled the frunk and connected the harness. The wiring diagram shows only one AAPTS, feeding the ECM. The location diagram shows it to be in the area of the engine just like the one pic above shows.

So what is the real story? Are there two AAPTS sensors but only one on the wiring diagram? Or is the diagram showing the one on the engine wrong? The 2021 pic shows the AAPTS in basically the same location as my 2014 one, in the air tunnel.

I enlarged the hole in the air tunnel so more air would flow over the sensor and the result is my ambient air temp reading is close to readings shown on time and temp gauges.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is the pic from the service manual for the RT. Basically the same as the one you posted.

Air Temp sensor on engine.jpg

The one on the engine is identified as an ambient air temperature sensor and is noted in the Engine section of the manual. The one in the tunnel is discussed in the Fuel Injection section of the manual. I don't find the one mounted on the engine in the wiring diagram, nor is there a temp sensor lead going to the cluster.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That picture is the same as the one I posted. Number 6 is the AAPTS and is mounted on the frame, not on the Engine. I havent looked at my 2014 to see if I can see it or if you need to remove panels. I will look next time I am at the storage garage. There are 2 sensors. AAPTS and MAPTS. My wiring diagram shows both. Right next to each other on the wiring diagram. The MAPTS is mounted on the airbox close to the intake manifold.
    Screenshot_20220411-025350.jpgScreenshot_20220411-025702.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 04-11-2022 at 01:59 AM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Who cares. If you are cold, put on a jacket. If too hot, turn on the air conditioning.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Who cares. If you are cold, put on a jacket. If too hot, turn on the air conditioning.
    Yes, I usually know the outside temperature before I even get on the Spyder. My Spyder's temperature reading is usually somewhere between 5 - 15 degrees high.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Time, temperature and speed are inaccurate on mine. Speed is 2 mph less than GPS and those roadside electronic signs (your speed is). I easily ride with these inaccuracies and thoroughly my ride. I rarely think of them, but do when reading posts about them. When that happen I wonder why they aren't correct when I can buy devices that provide 100 per cent accuracy at the dollar store.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Time, temperature and speed are inaccurate on mine. Speed is 2 mph less than GPS and those roadside electronic signs (your speed is). I easily ride with these inaccuracies and thoroughly my ride. I rarely think of them, but do when reading posts about them. When that happen I wonder why they aren't correct when I can buy devices that provide 100 per cent accuracy at the dollar store.
    You're lucky your speedo is reading only 2mph faster! Or have you already upgraded your rear tire to a slightly larger rolling dia a/mkt car tire that's brought your speedo much closer to accurate??

The indicated speed on all 'factory spec' road going motor vehicles is pretty much always going to be optimistic, only it can be & often is over-stated by anything up to about 10% faster than your 'real' speed. And your odo/trip meter will generally be optimistic with your distance travelled too, usually by a similar but not necessarily identical amount! . This is cos it's all mandated by an International Standard/Agreement, supposedly to allow for different specs & maybe different fittings in different regions/country's, but (amongst other things) also so that the various Govt's & vehicle manufacturers can't be held accountable for drivers/riders/operators 'inadvertently' exceeding the speed limit!

Still Longisland, your speedo being only 2mph out means it is pretty accurate for a standard/factory spec Spyder/Ryker! And it's not too shabby even if you have already upgraded your tire/tires too! Shame about the inaccurate Clocks & the Temp gauges tho - but I haven't yet found anything mandating that they should be purposefully made inaccurate.... they must be just something that BRP/Can Am has given us for free & outta the kindness of their hearts!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My speedo on my 2020 RT-L is also 2 mph fast with the oem tire that came on it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue