RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Default Shopping for a 2 wheeled Trailer to transport Spyder RTL

I'm shopping for a 2 wheel aluminum 14' trailer. I need one that will haul either our 2016 Spyder RTL or our 2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000. The KRX needs an 8' wide bed. What do you guys think?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

I can haul TWO RTL Spyders in my enclosed snowmobile trailer. They come out dry and clean in all hauling conditions. It's 8"X12". Should hold your Kawasaki if height isn't an issue. My trailer has a #3,500 lb axle, but they under rate the capacity so they don't have to install brakes on it. Not a lot of dealers in KS though. Hold onto your pocket book as prices go up a lot for any trailers.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:16 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I can haul TWO RTL Spyders in my enclosed snowmobile trailer. They come out dry and clean in all hauling conditions. It's 8"X12". Should hold your Kawasaki if height isn't an issue. My trailer has a #3,500 lb axle, but they under rate the capacity so they don't have to install brakes on it. Not a lot of dealers in KS though. Hold onto your pocket book as prices go up a lot for any trailers.
    Are you sure it's ONLY 8 ft. wide ..... I have an aluminum double wide (like yours) snow-mobile trailer and it's eight ft 6 inches wide????? .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Yes it's a little more that 8', but not much. I put one spyder in forward and back one up. .

Spyder Garage

What's your intended use of the trailer? Occasional returns to dealer? 1,000 mile trips twice a year? IMO, a tandem axle trailer is much more stable in crosswinds and buffeting from trucks. You also gain the redundant tire in case of a blowout. I had a blowout on a single axle trailer at 70mph, it was not fun! Enclosed trailers offer protection from weather and prying eyes. They can be used for storage - take the wheels off to prevent theft. As noted, aluminum trailers are not cheap, but neither are used steel trailers with frames half rusted out. I bought a 7X14 aluminum enclosed tandem trailer when I got my first Spyder in 2019 and I'm still happy with the purchase. Note that I haul my Spyder from New York to Florida and back for about 3,000 miles a year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Are you sure it's ONLY 8 ft. wide ..... I have an aluminum double wide ( like yours ) sno-mobile trailer and it 's eight ft 6 inches wide ????? .... Mike

Mike I agree with close to you measurements but the widest any trailer can be in US is 101 which is 8’5 interior 8’1” by all states DOT without permit. so 8’ interior would be correct. To answer, I have fit 2 spyders, back in reversed, pull in with a small block like you recommended in my toy hauler trailer. 8’ interior by 13’ long. Very little wiggle room and need to put plastic under rear wheels to slide side to side. So yes 1 spider and bike should fit if 8x12 is open. I can fit my can am 1000 SXS maverick in my too.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 04-09-2022 at 06:57 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”