Spyder Garage

Default Oops …. Where does this go?

I had all the plastic off the left side of my RTL, and I have two screws left over to attach the top front big red piece. Now, they are supposed to be the same size, but the two I have left are not. Apparently I used a short one where I should have used the long one. Anyone have any idea???

3E91B42F-BEA1-48FF-A327-CB5213553311.jpg

Thanks as always.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Pull the right side off.
    Place the screws, torx and pins in order.
    Do a sketch and label it as you go if ya wish.

Then revisit the side where you have the bits left over.
    And refit correctly.

The p.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you should have three

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    I had all the plastic off the left side of my RTL, and I have two screws left over to attach the top front big red piece. Now, they are supposed to be the same size, but the two I have left are not. Apparently I used a short one where I should have used the long one. Anyone have any idea???

3E91B42F-BEA1-48FF-A327-CB5213553311.jpg

Thanks as always.
    Well there a couple of T-30 torx bolts that need to be a bit longer than the majority of them ..... you have one there .... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well there a couple of T-30 torx bolts that need to be a bit longer than the majority of them ..... you have one there .... JMHO .... Mike
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The long one goes in the hole up by the center console. It has to go thru the panel and center console(black piece with the switches in it).
    IMG_20220408_204315941.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 04-08-2022 at 07:47 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Thank you all. I haven’t lost any screws, but just have these two. I checked the right side and the screws in the two holes I have left were short...
    I ended up going to buy another shot Rt one and put the long one aside, but now I will recheck the top one as suggested.
    Thank you all.
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

The short one go's way up under the seat on top of the saddle bag
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

not on a 2020 or newer

Spyder Garage

I learned several years ago when dealing with a lot of screws of different lengths on the fairing of a motorcycle, it pays to make some cardboard placement guides. It's really simple to draw a rough pattern/s on a piece of cardboard then punch holes in it to place screws in the appropriate locations as you dismantle. Then when it comes time for reassembly, they will all go back exactly where they came from.

Keep in mind, I'm no artist but here is the pattern board I used on that one bike with a lot of fairing screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Hex head is the answer

And I learned a long time ago what a pain Torx machine screws are and replaced them with flanged button-head stainless steel hex machine screws. Easier to see, I choose my own length and my ball-end wrenches allow off-axis torque.

PS I had a Moto Guzzi Norge with full coverage fairing. Took a few tries to get everything right. Gorgeous but was too fast. Gave it to a nephew.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 04-16-2022 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added PS
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Your not alone there Burt. 3 different connector screws on 1 but of tupperware has me mystified as well. Obfuscation comes to mind.

Spyder Garage

Don't feel bad. On my first Spyder (2013 RTL), bought in 2013, I always had a screw or pushpin left over after I took it apart do something to it. Nothing bad ever happened. I'm on my 4th Spyder and I no longer have pushpins and/or screws left over. You'll be fine.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Darn, you have some leftovers. You're lucky. When I've done a major tupperware removal I generally end up two short. Somewhere somehow they get away from me. GOD bless Ace Hardware, they come to the rescue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I learned several years ago when dealing with a lot of screws of different lengths on the fairing of a motorcycle, it pays to make some cardboard placement guides. It's really simple to draw a rough pattern/s on a piece of cardboard then punch holes in it to place screws in the appropriate locations as you dismantle. Then when it comes time for reassembly, they will all go back exactly where they came from.

Keep in mind, I'm no artist but here is the pattern board I used on that one bike with a lot of fairing screws.

I like the cardboard. Another way is a plastic ice cube tray. For each panel, I put the bolts/push pins in the tray, left to right. Then when reinstalling, I go right to left
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Zip lock bags

I use a small zip lock bag taped to the part I've removed. Nothing gets lost. Reusable too.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

FWIW, you can catch the small magnetic round parts trays at Harbor Freight for less than $2 sometimes $1. I put labels in the bottom, right mirror panel, right lower panel, headlight trim, right saddlebag, frunk, etc. Each panel section gets its own storage. Then I have several more that are unlabeled, for whatever.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

I use a small zip lock bag taped to the part I've removed. Nothing gets lost. Reusable too.

Lew L
    Lew, that's just way too intelligent for some of us to comprehend. We relish the act of crawling around on cold concrete trying to find that 10 cent screw that got swallowed by the back hole of death in the middle of a half torn apart spyder.

Spyder Garage

The lost screws are probably hiding out with the missing 10mm sockets and they're all laughing at us crawling around on the floor looking for them.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Lew, that's just way too intelligent for some of us to comprehend. We relish the act of crawling around on cold concrete trying to find that 10 cent screw that got swallowed by the back hole of death in the middle of a half torn apart spyder.

I just hate it when I drop, misplace, or flat out loose a fastener. When I taught small motors class we rebuilt a Brigs and Stratton motor. Each group had to have 10 zip lock bags for the small parts/fasteners. If it worked for 30 kids--- It will work for me.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow