Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I only take the key out when on a ride and stop to leave the bike unattended.
    My Spyder is in a locked garage otherwise and the key stays in the ignition.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Does anyone leave their keys in their car's ignition when it's parked in the garage? Why?
    I do, in case the garage or vehicle catches fire I want to maybe have a chance to move it out as quickly as possible.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Can it cause problems? IT SURE CAN! But not because of the chip per se tho...

If you leave the key in the ignition, the little 'rain flap' that springs into place to protect the cylinder from any water entry while the key is out won't work & you'll likely be directing any rain &/or condensation that forms overnight down the open hatch & along the channels in the key directly into the works of the cylinder! And as surprising as that may seem, even the smallest amount of condensation &/or rain in the cylinder can create some fairly significant issues in there, or in the ignition wiring.....
    plus I always take mine out after I park it ..... and leave it 6 inches from the Ignition switch .... I read here that removing and moving the key allows a complete Re-Boot of the ECU .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Well I do leave my key in the ignition much of the time including when parked on a ride I just put mu gloves over them. In 6 years no one has bothered it. I also leave it in my driveway with the key in it and a cover over the Spyder and no problems.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My key comes out when the bikes out in the weather, in my garage it stays in, even when the bike in winter storage, tender on battery, key in the ignition! No problems yet!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Good discussion as I always wondered too about the whole key/chip possibly causing battery or startup issues. Good to know there is no impact. With regards to the practice of leaving the key in the ignition when in the garage...wouldn't recommend it if you have a child or grandchild in the house. Years ago we had an ATV stored in our third stall backed into the side of the wall and pointing to the side of my truck. We hadn't used it in awhile and I couldn't get started. While doing yard work in the back, my 12 year old son decided to "help me out" in hopes of surprising me that he could get the ATV started. Well you guessed it, he got the ATV started, revved it up, and somehow managed to pop it out of neutral. Damage to my side doors and door frame on my truck was $3500! Since then, I don't leave my keys in my Spyders and other toys.

Given the amount of force my son took off in that ATV, I'm just glad he wasn't hurt. We joke about it now (well he may not but I do) that he caused his car accident before he actually drove a car.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Even a locked garage is less secure than a locked house. I never leave ignition keys in any of my vehicles.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Even a locked garage is less secure than a locked house. I never leave ignition keys in any of my vehicles.
    +1....
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Whenever my spyder is at home in the garage the key hangs on a lanyard (actually both keys, on seperate lanyards) inside the front door of the house. Never have to worry about looking for it when it has become such an ingrained habit. The keys for my car, along with those for my wife's and sons' cars all hang on hooks at the back door so that they are far away from the vehicles to avoid potental theft via RF crooks.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Not understanding how removing the key in a locked space would stop a thief. If a thief is gonna break into a locked garage or shed why would not having the key in the ignition prevent stealing ? Easy enough to release the parking brake without power on and not likely they would start the engine as they rolled it away.

I suppose if I lived in a sketchy area, I could see the need to wire 120v to the door handle.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 04-09-2022 at 11:55 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I do, and i like it.

Spyder Garage

I am wondering what the insurance company would say if it is stolen out of garge or other places with the key left in it unattended?? Just a thought

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    I am wondering what the insurance company would say if it is stolen out of garge or other places with the key left in it unattended?? Just a thought
    Can't believe how many people here on this site have never experienced a theft. One of the things a burglar looks for is where their victim keeps their vehicle keys. If I intend to leave my house for an overnight occasion, I lock my keys, all of them, in the safe.

Spyder Garage

Let us also not forget folks that most burglars are not smart enough to know how to actually start these things and get them to go.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I would be checking with my insurance company if they will honour the policy if the key is left in the ignition . Just my nickle on the subject .
    2019 F3 S
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Let us also not forget folks that most burglars are not smart enough to know how to actually start these things and get them to go.

Steve
    So true. When I drove my first spyder home from the dealer I stopped to fill the tank and had to push it away from the pumps because I couldn't figure out how to start it.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Ditto to what Pooch said..
    BIG F
    2018 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I doubt they would say anything, Longtimer. The insurance companies know it would be impossible to prove that the thief did not search for, and find the key in your “secret hiding place” in the house or garage, and then used it to steal the Spyder…..

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 04-12-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When you have been a victim of a robbery like I have, you tend to remove the keys out of the ignition in ALL of your 2,3,4 or 6 (motorhome) wheeled vehicles.

Yes, even the ones that float, lol.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

I have had a car, a truck and a motorcycle stolen from the Clear Lake area south of Houston

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A theft will definitely change your outlook.
    Last edited by Saluda; 04-13-2022 at 07:20 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    So true. When I drove my first spyder home from the dealer I stopped to fill the tank and had to push it away from the pumps because I couldn't figure out how to start it.
    HA! Been there, done that: on my first ryde, with a Harley-owner friend, we stopped at a bakery and when we came out I couldn't restart. I didn't even have a phone with me, but my friend did, and we called a neighbor back home for help. I had forgotten you must step on the brake!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I doubt they would say anything, Longtimer. The insurance companies know it would be impossible to prove that the thief did not search for, and find the key in your “secret hiding place” in the house or garage, and then used it to steal the Spyder…..

Pete
    Oh they certainly do say something Pete! . At least here in Oz, it can make a fairly substantial difference to any payout they might offer!! Why do you think they ask "Was it locked?" or "Did you leave the key in it?" when you file your claim?? . And even when the vehicle is wrecked/torched after someone's taken it for a joyride, there are usually some bloody obvious indicators the investigators check for juuust to see if the crim actually 'broke into & stole' your vehicle or if they just used the key! There's even different criminal charges that apply depending on how they managed to abscond with your vehicle - ever heard of crims being charged with 'illegal use of a vehicle' &/or 'vehicle theft'? They are actually different things & aren't necessarily always used together for some very valid reasons!

Sure, you can argue that leaving the key in or even secreted somewhere on or near the vehicle shouldn't make any difference to the insurance payout; the crim still stole it! And if your trashed/burned vehicle shows no signs of forced entry or evidence of a bypassed ignition, you could even argue that the crim might've found your key in its little secret hidey-hole somewhere nearby, or maybe they stole it out of your house; but it still all counts towards you as the owner taking something along the lines of 'less than adequate precautions to properly secure your vehicle' and THAT can cost you in the long run! . It happens, waaayyy more often than you might think! . And just as with sooo many other things, if you do want to argue, the Insurance company usually has waaayyy more time, lawyers, & $$ to back up their counter argument if it ever gets to court!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2022 at 04:06 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, you have gone down a whole other rathole there, and although your response is definitely correct about “keys in ignition” in general, my comment was about a Spyder being stolen from a garage. Unless you are foolish enough to reply “yes” when asked if your key was in it, there is no way to determine whether the key was located by the thief in your secret hiding place and inserted in the Spyder, or whether it was actually left in the Spyder. I, personally, being a totally law abiding and honest citizen, remove my key from the ignition, but leave it very close by, so I can honestly reply that I did NOT leave my key in the ignition.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Peter, you have gone down a whole other rathole there, and although your response is definitely correct about “keys in ignition” in general, my comment was about a Spyder being stolen from a garage. Unless you are foolish enough to reply “yes” when asked if your key was in it, there is no way to determine whether the key was located by the thief in your secret hiding place and inserted in the Spyder, or whether it was actually left in the Spyder. I, personally, being a totally law abiding and honest citizen, remove my key from the ignition, but leave it very close by, so I can honestly reply that I did NOT leave my key in the ignition.

Pete
    You'd be surprised how many do say 'Yes' in response to that first bolded bit/question, even after their vehicle has been stolen!! And just look at this thread - here in Oz all these 'yes' entries might/could be used by an Ins co to reduce their liability - and they DO sometimes go looking for just this sorta thing if they feel it warranted or they are just being nasty!

As for the second bolded bit, I wonder how many realise that here in some Ozzie States, 'leaving your vehicle with the key in it or otherwise unsecured' if you are more than 3 metres away from said vehicle can result in a fine &/or you being charged with an offence?!? (Nb - note the lack of reference to the key being 'in the ignition'?! ) I don't believe that offence has ever been applied when a vehicle was left in a locked garage, but just left in the carport &/or driveway is a whole 'nuther thing!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!