Spyder Garage

Default Do you ever park your Ryker in a parking lot or does it depend on ??

Since the Ryker tends to be an attention getter, I’m wondering if you ever park it in a parking lot for whatever reason or does it depend on where you live? I think I would do that only if I knew it would be parked for less than 5 minutes. Of course, I don’t live in a big city but in the suburbs. I always see quite a few 2 wheeled bikes in parking lots and for a lot more than 5 minutes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dale001 View Post
    Since the Ryker tends to be an attention getter, I’m wondering if you ever park it in a parking lot for whatever reason or does it depend on where you live? I think I would do that only if I knew it would be parked for less than 5 minutes. Of course, I don’t live in a big city but in the suburbs. I always see quite a few 2 wheeled bikes in parking lots and for a lot more than 5 minutes.

I can't speak on behalf of the Ryker, although I do seem to draw quite a bit of attention from onlookers / inquisitors ( whom I love talking to ) with my Spyder Rt and it's Graphics when I go shopping, or just out and about. And seeing I'm usually away longer than 5 minutes, as I always run into someone I know. Spyders are still at a minimum in my area and are seen as a Curious Creature to many, hence a lot of curiosity.

When at other businesses, restaurants, etc., I tend to scout out the parking lot and then park in a manner / area that I hope it would be safe and not subjected to being bothered, or possibly vandalized. We can only hope that are Spyders / Rykers are safe when we are away from them. So far so good!

Rick

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have seen dozens upon dozens of Spyders in my area when riding.....BUT, only one Ryker, that's mine..I'm special
    I do get looks and comments about my Ryker and helmet, I have no qualms about parking in public places for long periods
    but I take my helmet and gloves with me.

Spyder Garage

I routinely park in parking with no issues from gawkers or vandals. Of course I scout any unknown areas before stopping.

I had one issue with an senior citizen lady in a 60's Caddy. She said I wasn't allowed to park "that thing" in a parking spot and that I needed to move it immediately. I figured she wasn't quite up to speed on current vehicles so I tried explaining my Ryker and the law to no avail. She went in to the beauty shop and called the police. I waited for them. They tried talking to her but she wasn't getting it.
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KnurledNut View Post
    I routinely park in parking with no issues from gawkers or vandals. Of course I scout any unknown areas before stopping.

I had one issue with an senior citizen lady in a 60's Caddy. She said I wasn't allowed to park "that thing" in a parking spot and that I needed to move it immediately. I figured she wasn't quite up to speed on current vehicles so I tried explaining my Ryker and the law to no avail. She went in to the beauty shop and called the police. I waited for them. They tried talking to her but she wasn't getting it.
    See what Florida sun does to old people. Scary!
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I was worried about parking my bike in safe areas when I first started to ride. I looked into all sorts of security measures. But the fact is that if a thief wants your ride they will take it. Rykers would be much harder than a regular bike to take, but a couple of guys could still load into in truck and be gone quickly. Best thing you can have is full insurance coverage in case something does happen. I still try to look for "safer" areas, but I park the bike and forget about for the most part.

Spyder Garage

I parked my RT at Walmart once. When I came out I noticed a guy standing by it. I walked up and he told me he had seen Spyders on the highway but never close up. I'm not sure how long he was there, but he waited for me to come out just so he could talk to me about the Spyder. We chatted for probably close to 30 minutes. I thought that was pretty cool.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I'd say 80% of the time I ride, I'm riding to some where, or riding with intention to stop during my ride. That means I park the Ryker in parking space pretty often. Do I worry, not really more than parking my car. I leave nothing in them, and park in open sight.

Just take normal sensible precautions, and enjoy your ryker.

Spyder Garage

Had a Buell and have a Harley XR1200, both drew their share of lookers in a coffee shop parking lot.
    I imagine a Ryker would be the same.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I parked my RT at Walmart once. When I came out I noticed a guy standing by it. I walked up and he told me he had seen Spyders on the highway but never close up. I'm not sure how long he was there, but he waited for me to come out just so he could talk to me about the Spyder. We chatted for probably close to 30 minutes. I thought that was pretty cool.
    Funny, I was once that guy you speak of, standing and admiring, AND waiting for the owner to come out of Walmart as well. I recall it was a beautiful Cognac colored one. The Spyder belonged to his wife. I was wanting to ask so many questions before even considering buying one. The gentlemen was more than happy to spare some of his time with me.

I also recall one evening after having supper at a local Diner, a couple came up to us as we were leaving, they were coming and we were going, and asked if I minded if they ask questions regarding the Spyder. They said they had seen some at the dealers and was just looking for more personal first-hand answers to their questions. They stated they really liked them and was seriously contemplating purchasing one. I was more than happy to spend time with them and they were all the more informed after we parted. Before we did though, I offered them both to sit on mine, together, to get a feel for the room and comfort it offered. They were humbled, as was I, and said they would definitely be checking into them further.

That was my COOL moment for sure!

Rick

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's a mix around here, I usually park in open areas of the lot away from other cars but I have had my share of people that want to talk about it when I am parked but I have also found several key marks from haters though.

The first one bothered me, after I picked up 2 more I wear them like a badge of honor now.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Had a Buell and have a Harley XR1200, both drew their share of lookers in a coffee shop parking lot.
    I imagine a Ryker would be the same.
    Yay, another Bueller! I'm wondering if there are more of us around, as I find the uniqueness and quirky nature that drew me towards Buells is also why I find the Rykers and Spyders so damned cool and interesting.

Later,
    EV
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

I use my Rally for most local errands and grocery shopping so it is in parking lots often. I have never had a problem but have had people walk over and ask about it. The most fun was a small boy and his mother that were parked in the adjoining spot. The boy was fastinated; his mother said he loved motorcycles. With his mothers permission i let him climb up on the seat and put on my gloves; its not like he could tip it over. I think it made both of our days.

I do try to park it closer to the opening of the spot so approaching drivers can see it. That prevents drivers from thinking a spot is available and then being disappointed (malicious) when it is not.
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 04-09-2022 at 08:00 AM.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    The most fun was a small boy and his mother that were parked in the adjoining spot. The boy was fastinated; his mother said he loved motorcycles. With his mothers permission i let him climb up on the seat and put on my gloves; its not like he could tip it over. I think it made both of our days.
    I have had 2 similar situations one better than the other though.

1st one was a boy in front of a restaurant and did the similar thing, let the boy up on the bike with the fathers permission and let him start the engine and give it some throttle. They were thrilled beyond belief. The other not so well and needs some back story.

I was a tier 3 admin at Cisco and ran the print servers for all of their printers globally as well as taking care of my disabled brother in a nursing home down in Raleigh. I was with him 6 days a week and worked remotely before the pandemic. He passed shortly before the Pandemic and I was laid off after moving to Maryland.

I decided to change paths and semi-retire as I did not want to work IT anymore. So I have been working in a medical marijuana grow and learning how to grow weed and find it very relaxing when I get to work around the live plants. But I only make minimum wage so there is a great difference in my income now. My wife just got a good raise plus we have investments that help us financially.

To get back to the main story when I pulled into a local dispensary to pick up some weed to help me with all of the arthritis pain I have, there is a car in one of the other parking spots with a preteen boy inside who screams across the lot at me "Hey mister what do you do for a living that you can afford such a nice bike!!"

Me not thinking anybody is around to hear me I respond back very sarcastically "I help grow the weed they sell inside the store here" right at the same time his father comes walking out of the door of the dispensary and apparently heard me, says to me on the way to the car "That's not weed it's medicine" and drives off all pissed off.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 04-09-2022 at 08:57 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

It may just be me, but I don't understand the issue about parking in a parking lot or a garage. When parking I treat my Spyder similar to parking my car in parking lots pick a "good" spot secure her, take my valuables and go take care of business. I have left her for several hours in parking lots or garages and have had no ill effects to date.

Spyder Garage

Philly fan jokes aside, I hesitate parking my CAR at the Phillies stadium parking lot, Never-mind a bike.
    lol.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dale001 View Post
    Philly fan jokes aside, I hesitate parking my CAR at the Phillies stadium parking lot, Never-mind a bike.
    lol.
    Yeah when they have their own jail at the stadium there (eagles) , you know you have to be careful especially if you are going to wear any team gear.

It better damn well be Philly/Eagles gear.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
    Before we did though, I offered them both to sit on mine, together, to get a feel for the room and comfort it offered. They were humbled, as was I, and said they would definitely be checking into them further.

That was my COOL moment for sure!

Rick
    I made the same offer to my guy. Told him to feel free to hop on up and get a feel for it. He accepted and was delighted with how stable it felt. He remarked he didn't realize how high he was sitting. I like to think he left with a good taste in his mouth about the Spyder.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EchoVictor View Post
    Yay, another Bueller! I'm wondering if there are more of us around, as I find the uniqueness and quirky nature that drew me towards Buells is also why I find the Rykers and Spyders so damned cool and interesting.

Later,
    EV
    You ever on BuellXB ?
    Had the Buell for five years, the XR for eight (now for sale)
    Hope to get a Ryker this summer, signed up for a riding course in June. Going to be a long couple of months.

Spyder Garage

No, mostly stuck to BadWeb.

The Ryker is fun, but very different than the two-wheelers. Good luck on the wait. It took us 6 months between ordering and getting our Ryker. Seemed like forever...

Later,
    EV
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

Are you taking the course to learn how to ride 3 wheels or are you taking it for license purposes? Here in the northeast (Massachusetts and New Hampshire) if you have a 2 wheel license then you are already licensed for 3 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Are you taking the course to learn how to ride 3 wheels or are you taking it for license purposes? Here in the northeast (Massachusetts and New Hampshire) if you have a 2 wheel license then you are already licensed for 3 wheels.
    Here if you have a motorcycle license you are covered for a three wheeler. If you don't you can get a three wheel only license.
    The course I am taking is a two hour course to learn the basics and see if you like riding a trike.
    I have some issues with my right arm and shoulder. So riding around for for a hour or more will tell me more than a cruise around a dealers parking lot.
    Plus I get to learn more about riding a trike.
    I know some Spyders and F3's have power assisted steering, but they are out of my price range, besides I think Ryker's are more my style.

Spyder Garage

Good idea Raven, the Ryker does take a considerable amount of upper body strength compared to two-wheel riding. No simple leaning into curves...But, still fun.

Spyder Garage

I think I got this thread a little off track, sorry didn't mean to hijack it.
    Bruce

Spyder Garage

I usually park my Ryker in a spot that isn't too crowded. If I can park it where I can see it, even better. I usually back it in and then move it up to be in line with the rest of the parked cars. I try to park it close to the end of a lot next to the curb or grass spot. I did this at a Kroger's and walked out to the whole row now full. Not sure if they all wanted to park next to me or what. But the back row was empty when I went inside.