Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Experienced the Death wobble!!

Experienced the death wobble yesterday on a left hand turn probably doing 70. Pushing it into a left-hand turn, there was a really rough uneven spot in the road.
    Seems like it lasted a long time but in reality probably more like eight seconds or so.
    Thought I was done for. it started and grow in intensity, I was all over the road, finally subsided and yeah it was scare.
    Pressures in my front tires were even at 18 PSI.
    May have been pushing it a little bit hard, had no idea this bike would do that.
    My perspective has definitely changed on how much I can push the spyder.
    Maybe an anti-sway bar would help a bit, but for me it's backer down and take it a little bit easier for sure.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited by 907Guy; 04-07-2022 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Jay, Anchorage AK

2021 RT Limited, Asphalt Gray Matallic/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I got a little shaker a few weeks ago. Going far too fast and got a bit " light " over a rise and slight curve in the road surface. Shook when landing. Didn't last along at all. Nothing like the high speed " death wobble" on my poor, old, slow V-Max when I first got it. Fixed is quickly with the help of a V-Max forum. Steering head adjustment problem.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 907Guy View Post
    What brand of tires?
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Scary stuff!!! I had that happen decades ago w/ an old Honda 350; wound up launching myself off the back and watching the bike tumble down the street. It took awhile for the asphalt rash to go away; even longer for the memory of it.

My opinion is to get yours to the dealership asap and explain what happened. Ask them to check tie rod ends, the dynamic power steering unit and ask for an alignment; I would think it should all be covered under your warranty. To me, an incident this radical is indicative of something more than tire pressure, balancing loose lug nuts, or sway bar. And if my understanding on the DPS is correct, it should help dampen movement at that speed, not magnify it.

Hope this helps.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I had that happen on my '20 RT last spring in West Virginia. The RT is laser-aligned, has a BajaRon sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks and Q5 tires. Was going very fast (70+) on a un-divided 4-lane highway in a left sweeper and hit a rough spot. The RT went into what I'd call a tank-slapper type wobble. It lasted for about 100 yards and pushed me over the center line into the on-coming lanes before I settled it down. Luckily, there was no traffic coming towards me or I'd have been history. Hasn't happened since and my riding style hasn't changed. I wrote it off as 's**t happens.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Experienced the death wobble yesterday on a left hand turn probably doing 70. Pushing it into a left-hand turn, there was a really rough uneven spot in the road.
    Seems like it lasted a long time but in reality probably more like eight seconds or so.
    Thought I was done for. it started and grow in intensity, I was all over the road, finally subsided and yeah it was scare.
    May have been pushing it a little bit hard, had no idea this bike would do that.
    My perspective has definitely changed on how much I can push the spyder.
    Maybe an anti-sway bar would help a bit, but for me it's backer down and take it a little bit easier for sure.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    This sounds Bizarre to me ( 3 spyders 100,000 + miles ) and have NEVER experienced anything even close to this. .... Decades ago I had a G.W. and experienced this .... but it was caused by a FLAT tire on the rear .... you are a Newbie here and I think this may be factor in what you experienced..... Lots of possibilities come to mind, however they are all PARTS failure re-lated .... Which would not SELF Repair itself..... 8 seconds is a hugh amount of time, so road surface condition isn't likely either. I doubt the Dealer is going to find anything .... UNLESS they hook it up to BUDS and see what was recorded .... If they say BUDS doesn't tell them anything, that's BS, anything that occurs to your Spyder is recorded in the Computer system - FOREVER ..... A long time ago, I had issues with the Paddle shifter on my RSS, and three trips to the Dealer and couldn't identify or even find the glitch .... At Spyderfest 14 a BRP Tech examined my problem, He found it .... ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND 247 more recorded incidents that were filed in the COMPUTER .... I then had the Dealer - TECH who couldn't find it contact the BRP Tech who did ..... My Paddle shifter was then re-placed under warranty ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

"This sounds Bizarre to me"

May be bizarre but I have 4 guys that saw what happened that can testify to the event. All machines have limits and I found one.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    What brand of tires?

Stock, only 4200 miles on bike
    Jay, Anchorage AK

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Interesting thread....don’t see ANY reference to weather conditions (I hope that I didn’t miss them). I had the same thing happen to me on a trip 4 years ago. In my case, it was EASY to figure out what happened....my RTS started to hydroplane. In my case it was raining. Was the highway/road surface in your case wet? The rough road surface made MY tires lose traction and opened the door for hydroplaning. just another thought to ponder.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

What was the speed limit where you were doing 70 mph?
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Truth be told, both tires were at 15psi cold this morning, at sea level because that's were I am. Two days ago when I checked them cold at 5500 ft they were 18psi. So maybe low pressure had something to do with what I experienced.
    Last edited by 907Guy; 04-07-2022 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Jay, Anchorage AK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    What was the speed limit where you were doing 70 mph?
    55, But not really sure I was doing 70 because I don't really look down at the sponometer when I'm in the curves and in the zone.
    Pay more attention to the road, revs and gears.
    Yeah I admit I was driving a little sporty!
    Jay, Anchorage AK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Interesting thread....don’t see ANY reference to weather conditions (I hope that I didn’t miss them). I had the same thing happen to me on a trip 4 years ago. In my case, it was EASY to figure out what happened....my RTS started to hydroplane. In my case it was raining. Was the highway/road surface in your case wet? The rough road surface made MY tires lose traction and opened the door for hydroplaning. just another thought to ponder.
    Road surface was dry it was just a really rough and uneven.
    What I'm discovering is 3 wheels is a unique configuration in itself.
    Jay, Anchorage AK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Spyder suspension is a bit of a noodle

PMK said it best -- the Spyder suspension is a bit of a noodle.

Car tires and aftermarket shocks will help. Perhaps some extra toe-in. I looked into urethane A-arm bushings. Maybe there's parts crossover from the snowmobile side of the house but I didn't have the contacts to pursue it.

I suggest you PM PMK and see what he suggests.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

The WV thrill-ride road was dry and generally flat, except when I hit the bump that threw the RT into wobbling. Speed limit was 65, I may have been flying too low.

Spyder Garage

All new to me. I've ridden my 08 GS about as hard as I think it can be ridden. Of course it's nothing like the late models. But I have never heard of this happening before today. Must have been missing it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Trust me when I tell you it scared the crap out of me. That's what happens when you chase your spirited 2-wheeled sport-touring pals on 3 wheels I guess.

Spyder Garage

YIKES!! A flat tire on the rear will definitely do that. It happened to me on the freeway with a slow leak. Wobble started out mild; but kept getting worse on a straight smooth road!?!? When I pulled over the rear tire was completely flat. Turns out that the 90 degree rear stem extension had unscrewed itself and slowly let the air escape. Glad I had my HD air compressor to plug in and fill up with the retightened valve in the stem.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Ok I will be the first to admit that I don't know squat about Spyders.
    But when the bike got light on the rough road, maybe the electronics kicked in.
    I know on most two wheelers, when this happens it is because the rider is trying to correct and is out of sink with the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    PMK said it best -- the Spyder suspension is a bit of a noodle.

Car tires and aftermarket shocks will help. Perhaps some extra toe-in. I looked into urethane A-arm bushings. Maybe there's parts crossover from the snowmobile side of the house but I didn't have the contacts to pursue it.

I suggest you PM PMK and see what he suggests.
    Ray’s wobble occurred on a Spyder WITH car tires, Elkas, stabiliser bar and laser alignment though, Bert.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I suppose it could have been me and Nanny fighting when the front got 'light' but I never touched the brakes and had to force the RT to the right to get back in my lane.

Spyder Garage

I would check the shocks if they have lost there damping it could cause that. We all have followed cars do the road and seen the wheel just bouncing up and down do to bad shocks in old vans that had solid front axle s shock would go bad and they start shacking so bad you think it was going to break you wrist. I would pull shocks take springs off and see if the damping is still there. Just a thought

Spyder Garage

Experienced the death wobble yesterday on a left hand turn probably doing 70. Pushing it into a left-hand turn, there was a really rough uneven spot in the road. .....
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I had that happen on my '20 RT last spring in West Virginia. The RT is laser-aligned, has a BajaRon sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks and Q5 tires. Was going very fast (70+) on a un-divided 4-lane highway in a left sweeper and hit a rough spot. ....
    Have either of you ever checked or had checked the Camber & Caster on your Spyder's??

I ask this because besides the 'noodle nature' of the 'A' arms & suspension and the inherent Bump Steer all that entails (particularly if you hit a rough spot) incorrect/too little positive Caster/too much positive Camber can cause exactly what you both describe, & this is especially so if you have minimal or negative Toe In... . The only real remedy for these Death Wobbles once they start is to hang on, try to maintain your line, & slow down gently, altho some might occasionally get away with accelerating thru them!

Our Spyder's suspension settings, including Toe In/out, Camber, & Caster, will vary a little with the static suspension height; as the suspension articulates during use; and as you turn - so a lighter than expected ryder/load or aftermarket shocks that are a touch longer than OE with a bit more than ideal Pre-Load adjustment could push the ride height UP, increasing the Camber & pushing the Caster into the undesirable range for potential tank slapper Death Wobbles, especially if you have minimal Toe In &/or ou also get similarly undesirable changes due to either of those latter two causes of variation!! . If the static suspension settings are juuust a little close to the undesirable Camber/Caster limits, the Death Wobbles can also be induced by simply turning the handlebars juuust enough as the suspension articulates; hitting a bump & compressing the front shocks in juuust the right way; or extending the suspension juuust enough after cresting a rise or bump, altho that one usually occurs under acceleration... hence the serious issue with trying to accelerate thru them!

We all know that there's no (simple ) way of adjusting our Spyder/Ryker's Camber or Caster, but running a little more Toe In &/or adjusting the static ride height can make a difference (altho going too low is just as bad as going too high) but it might pay you both to check the alignment & the Camber & Caster readings of your machines - or get them all checked! If there's no or minimal Toe In, adding some will likely help; and if the Camber &/or Caster are too close to the undesirable range, adjusting the static ride height might be enough to reduce the chances of this happening again, or maybe you'll need to look further/deeper for the reason your machines readings are as close as they are... There are other things that can be done to change the Camber/Caster on these things, and there's other things (like Mike's (Blueknight911) upper shock mount mod to bring the shock more vertical) that can help minimise these issues, but apart from varying the static ride height, none of them are really all that easy &/or simple, and some are bloody expensive!! But if you hafta choose between regular bouts of the Death Wobbles or spending some time, $$, & effort on getting it sorted...

All that said, for most Owners of Spyders/Rykers, these Death Wobbles are an extremely unlikely occurrence; for those with alignment settings closer to the undesirable limits, they are still going to be an unlikely & mostly infrequent event; and even if your settings are smack within the undesirable range, for most it'll still take a 'perfect storm' of all those variables coinciding at juuust the right instant to cause the Death Wobbles - something that shouldn't happen all that often! So it shouldn't be a frequent occurrence, even if it is bloody dangerous if/when it happens - and if it does start to happen even vaguely frequently, it needs to be sorted ASAP, before it becomes deadly!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Red face Yep missed that

PeterOz -- yep after scaring myself reading about the death wobble (my Spyder didn't have the death wobble but had treacherous turn-in until I replaced the tires and shocks) I missed his very complete inventory and gave a stock answer.

WRT toe, I'm sure a laser alignment includes tolerances and I was suggesting the toe-in direction.

But PeterA pointed out the most likely cause -- bump steer aggravated by "noodle" A-arms and rubber bushings.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 04-08-2022 at 12:50 AM. Reason: wording improvements
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Ok I will be the first to admit that I don't know squat about Spyders.
    But when the bike got light on the rough road, maybe the electronics kicked in.
    I know on most two wheelers, when this happens it is because the rider is trying to correct and is out of sink with the bike.
    " electronics " .... this would be the " VSS ", and what it would do ... it would Slow the bike down to a SAFE speed .... which would be to Prevent wobble .... IMHO I think the issue is " NEW driver " .... Spyders are not at all like mtc's. and they require a LIGHT touch. folks who "| guide " their spyders do much better than those that try to steer them ( at speed ) ...... Mike