Spyder Garage

Default BUDS - does it stop at license expiry, or just stop getting updates?

I have a 2021 Spyder RT-L. Prior to that I had a BMW R1200GSA. For the GSA, I had GS-911 which could read and reset error codes, perform diagnostics, etc. It was really cool. It did not need updating or expensive annual software updates. Does BUDS stop working after a year or just stop getting bike updates?

For those of you that have it, how often do you use it? What do you use it primarily for? I am having a bit of trouble justifying the cost. I rode the GS on and off road and the GS-911 could save you if you ran in to trouble remotely. I won't be taking the Can Am off road.

Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated!
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I haven't put it to a real test, but I'd assume it stops working. I had an issue a few months ago where BUDS just flat out refused to connect to ANY bike. After much troubleshooting, thinking it was a Win11 problem, it turned out that all I had to do was reinstall my license code and everything worked again. So I would think that either no license code, or an expired code, and it will not connect. All it did was start in demo mode.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

You will have to update the licence I believe, especially BUDS2 (for the 1300's). I use it to turn off the DESS (checking the RFID chip in the key) which has left a couple people stranded. Plus it can walk you through the brake bleeding process. You can see the feedback from all sensors to verify issues or codes that come up. I'd recommend that if you ride with a group a lot is to chip in and get BUDS2 and an old 1st gen Microsoft Surface Pro ($150ish) for portability. At picnics, etc. you can go around and do a health check on all the bikes, turn off the DESS, etc.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drwerner View Post
    I have a 2021 Spyder RT-L. Prior to that I had a BMW R1200GSA. For the GSA, I had GS-911 which could read and reset error codes, perform diagnostics, etc. It was really cool. It did not need updating or expensive annual software updates. Does BUDS stop working after a year or just stop getting bike updates?

For those of you that have it, how often do you use it? What do you use it primarily for? I am having a bit of trouble justifying the cost. I rode the GS on and off road and the GS-911 could save you if you ran in to trouble remotely. I won't be taking the Can Am off road.

Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated!
    Yes the GS911 is fantastic for the price. They gave updates for years with no charge and when they finally did start talking about charging people started complaining, I sure wish there was something that good for Can Am.