Spyder Garage

Default My first new rear tire today

Finally installed my new Altimax (215/60/15) today after 5600 miles on the OEM Kenda. Tips from this forum were very helpful and much appreciated. Also hooked up the top exhaust spring to my Rick's cat delete pipe--much easier with the wheel off and on the H/F lift which worked great.
    Test rode it and nothing fell off and the belt seems to be in the same alignment, and speedo is right on now according to gps. I used a method for tightening the rear axle nut that I have often used on other bikes and it seems to have worked and maintained the alignment. I tightened in 25'# increments and tapped each side axle nut forward with a 1" soft brass rod after leaving the adjusters in their original position by removing the lower shock bolt to peel the belt off. I will be running 18 psi front and rear solo.
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

Looks like you have it down to a science. I do the same except my brass rod is made of hardwood.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Looks like you have it down to a science. I do the same except my brass rod is made of hardwood.
    I did find out one more "tip" today after checking air pressure. When you put the drive sprocket back in to the wheel hub--make sure the valve stem is in between the opening in the "spokes". A little hard to get to now, but do-able. I may just add an angle stem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arkyleo View Post
    Finally installed my new Altimax (215/60/15) today after 5600 miles on the OEM Kenda. Tips from this forum were very helpful and much appreciated. Also hooked up the top exhaust spring to my Rick's cat delete pipe--much easier with the wheel off and on the H/F lift which worked great.
    Test rode it and nothing fell off and the belt seems to be in the same alignment, and speedo is right on now according to gps. I used a method for tightening the rear axle nut that I have often used on other bikes and it seems to have worked and maintained the alignment. I tightened in 25'# increments and tapped each side axle nut forward with a 1" soft brass rod after leaving the adjusters in their original position by removing the lower shock bolt to peel the belt off. I will be running 18 psi front and rear solo.

I think you will enjoy the upgrade. 18, front and rear, is what I ran on my RTL and found it to be perfect for me. And, only one number to remember. Enjoy..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I think you will enjoy the upgrade. 18, front and rear, is what I ran on my RTL and found it to be perfect for me. And, only one number to remember. Enjoy..... Jim
    Those numbers work for me as well. Q5s up front, Q in back.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the new Quatrac on the front and rear on my 2020 F3 but I had to lower the pressure to 16 psi all the way around to keep the rear tire from chirping when going around corners.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Have you measured the tread width on your quatrac back tire to see how wide it is. I think of I remember right you put a 205 60r 15 on your like to know with it installed. Thanks

Spyder Garage

What year spyder?

I am also running General Altimax RT 43 on my 2014 RTS-SE6.. I changed the OEM at 5845 miles and put on a General Altimax RT43 I am currently on my 2nd General Altimax RT43 rear tire. I haven't had any problems with the tire. I am ride solo.

My current mileage on spyder is 29,778 miles. Life has gotten in the way.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Have you measured the tread width on your quatrac back tire to see how wide it is. I think of I remember right you put a 205 60r 15 on your like to know with it installed. Thanks
    It is the 205/60/15, I really like the feel of it. 1 up since I go faster without the wife on the turns on going from a main to a secondary road the nanny likes to kick in but other than that I am really loving the new tires.

If you want a measurement with a ruler how would you like it? Imperial or Metric?

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    What year spyder?

I am also running General Altimax RT 43 on my 2014 RTS-SE6.. I changed the OEM at 5845 miles and put on a General Altimax RT43 I am currently on my 2nd General Altimax RT43 rear tire. I haven't had any problems with the tire. I am ride solo.

My current mileage on spyder is 29,778 miles. Life has gotten in the way.
    Deanna
    Mine is a 2021 RTL. Lots of stuff to remove to change the tire--and I removed the muffler also for easier access to the axle nut. Wonder how much the dealer would charge for a rear tire replacement? Whatever I saved I will probably spend at Lamonsters as soon as the weather improves.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did find out one more "tip" today after checking air pressure. When you put the drive sprocket back in to the wheel hub--make sure the valve stem is in between the opening in the "spokes". A little hard to get to now, but do-able. I may just add an angle stem.
    I drilled another hole in my rear wheel 180 degrees opposite the other one on the other side of the wheel so I have a valve on each side
    the new one is an angled valve stem and is much much much easier to get to than the stock one.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I drilled another hole in my rear wheel 180 degrees opposite the other one on the other side of the wheel so I have a valve on each side
    the new one is an angled valve stem and is much much much easier to get to than the stock one.
    .... ... I started doing that in 2010 on my 08 GS .... I've done it to my other two Spyders also ( during a tire swap ) ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... ... I started doing that in 2010 on my 08 GS .... I've done it to my other two Spyders also ( during a tire swap ) ..... Mike
    Sounds like a great idea--but I doubt if I will drill a hole in a $500 plus wheel. I will probably just wait until the next time I remove the wheel, then align the stem where I can get to it easier.

Spyder Garage

Any way you would like would be fine. Thanks