Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Your assumption is that by using the kill switch you're NOT having to use the ignition switch. Obviously, you'll still use the ignition switch every time, regardless if you use the kill switch or not. By using the kill switch, you have introduced another potential point of failure into the equation, and one I believe is not necessary.

I see no savings here.
    Good point... My thinking was about the electrical portion not the mechanical... As by using the "Kill" here is no power to the switch anymore...

Maybe using the "Kill" just adds to the expense as we are using more parts

Unless of course you have left the key in the on position like a few can with the Lamont Key fob thingy...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I always use the kill switch. Just in case there is ever a problem while riding, and you need to hit the kill switch, it will be ingrained into you brain. I have an SM5.
    Yep - Same here - every time.

Spyder Garage

When I purchased my RT S the dealer tech said "always use the key switch and not the kill switch to turn off the ". Of course, this is the same tech that left tools and access panel in frunk, quart low on oil and frunk switch not adjusted last service.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default kill switch...

Neutral, parking brake, kill switch off, reset kill switch to run, ignition switch off, remove key.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Well, this is about as emotional and divided as the questions about oil, seats, and octane. I'll be glad to muddy things further with my two cents.

I use the kill switch. There is a reason they were federally mandated on bikes. If you use it to shut the bike down, that becomes natural, and you will automatically do it if needed someday. I have always done the same with race bikes, for the same reason. Why not the key? How much control do you have when your hand reaches for the center of the handlebars? The idea is to keep your hands where they belong, doing what they need to do in a critical situation. Shutting off in the garage is not critical, but if the situation were serious someday, you would not want the delay of thinking what to do...or the possible loss of control because you did what came naturally from everyday use, and removed your hands from the bars. I never heard of an MSF course that did not advocate the use of the "kill switch". BRP is new to this game, their manual is not the Bible.

There, that should be worth at least two cents.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Well, this is about as emotional and divided as the questions about oil, seats, and octane. I'll be glad to muddy things further with my two cents.

I use the kill switch. There is a reason they were federally mandated on bikes. If you use it to shut the bike down, that becomes natural, and you will automatically do it if needed someday. I have always done the same with race bikes, for the same reason. Why not the key? How much control do you have when your hand reaches for the center of the handlebars? The idea is to keep your hands where they belong, doing what they need to do in a critical situation. Shutting off in the garage is not critical, but if the situation were serious someday, you would not want the delay of thinking what to do...or the possible loss of control because you did what came naturally from everyday use, and removed your hands from the bars. I never heard of an MSF course that did not advocate the use of the "kill switch". BRP is new to this game, their manual is not the Bible.

There, that should be worth at least two cents.

And still leave a little change in your pocket.....

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

MSF course teaches kill switch, then key.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    MSF course teaches kill switch, then key.

john
    Just an interesting story about Kill Switch, I ride weekly with a group of riders (Roadrunners) last week at one of our stops a jokester in our group
    flipped one our riders BMW RT1200 Kill switch, We all had a good laugh when it got time to leave and BMW would not start panic time for him..

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

Default Kill switch question

Does it matter if you hit the kill switch first or turn the key off first when shutting down the Spyder? I know the owners manual says to hit the kill switch first. If it does matter, in what way or what is the potential harm?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Only time I use the kill switch is at the gas pumps to shut off the engine so I can keep the ignition on.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I never use the kill switch

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

No harm. Either way is fine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have never used the kill switch and never will.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I never use the switch, but there is no harm in using it anyway you are comfortable with.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I get to use the KILL switch more often than I want. My backseater usually hits it when she grabs the handlebars getting on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Neither
    The Kill switch is there for Emergency purposes on ALL MCs.
    It is not normally used to shutoff an MC.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Maybe not as important with modern bikes. If you rode early dirt bikes back when the throttle cable could stick or get caught on brush and leave the engine revving, you wanted to develop the habit of shutting down with the kill switch. There is no need to take your hands off the bars to shut down and this was long before rev limiters. Also, operating the kill switch may help keep the contacts corrosion free and the switch operating properly. If you use it to shut down, at the very least, you will know that it works.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

In bygone years of my youth in the 1970's I took the MRF Basic Motorcycle Safety course. There they recommended to always use the kill switch to shut down a motorcycle. The reason was to build muscle memory in case of an emergency - if something happens and the bike needs shutting down it will be automatic to use the kill switch, no fumbling around to find it or thinking about the process. I had been doing that for about 40 years, then a few years ago we got a more modern bike, and it was recommended we not use the kill switch as folks might not remember to turn the ignition off at the key and run the battery down.

Apparently that is the more recent procedure, as if the battery is flat modern bikes controlled by computers don't work without the angry pixies running through the wires.

I was at an event not too long ago where some joker went through the parking lot and turned most all the kill switches to OFF. About 3/4 of the people had problems starting their bikes, while the old school folks automatically hit the kill switch to ON and fired them up.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

In 45 years of riding and having been an MSF Instructor, I have always used the "kill switch". Immediately after I shut the engine off with it I turn the ignition off with the key and clip it to my belt. As Ozarkryder said it is muscle memory and just a normal habit for me.

YMMV with what you do.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Only time I use the kill switch is at the gas pumps to shut off the engine so I can keep the ignition on.
    I never use the kill switch, but I'm interested in this option. Sounds like a great idea.
    I know you can open up the front trunk with the engine on.
    How do you get to the gas cap without first cycling the ignition switch through "off" ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just push down and turn key either direction

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

NOTE: it's always fun to hit the kill switch on your buddy's bike when he is parked and not looking....
    it's even more fun to do it to strangers bikes while they are in the 7-11 or other store.
    just sit outside and watch from across the parking lot.....hahahahahaha

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I never use the kill switch
    Only by accident--------

Hope all is well with you and yours Ray, We are fine-- probably a ryde around Lake Tahoe tomorrow.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the responses. To Ozarkryder, I did leave the ignition key on once which did drain the battery. As with everything it gave me a chance to test the lithium ion jumper. It worked great. I do believe (unless I'm mistaken, I don't have my manual handy) The manual suggest hitting the kill switch to first the shut off the bike. It looks like the opinions vary, but it doesn't seem like the sequence matters. Thanks again.