Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    How many use the kill switch to shut the bike down?
    I never use it.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Always. Since I was 16 years old.... and that was a LONG time ago. And Yes I have had that WTF moment on the interstate when I accidently bumped it, but that only will happen once. You learn fast when your heart goes up to your throat in panic mode. Think about it guys, if it wasn't necessary, BRP would have removed it from their lines long ago and saved some $$ in production costs. Name a motorcycle that doesn't have a kill switch. I dare ya.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Always. Since I was 16 years old.... and that was a LONG time ago. And Yes I have had that WTF moment on the interstate when I accidently bumped it, but that only will happen once. You learn fast when your heart goes up to your throat in panic mode. Think about it guys, if it wasn't necessary, BRP would have removed it from their lines long ago and saved some $$ in production costs. Name a motorcycle that doesn't have a kill switch. I dare ya.
    Errr, that's only cos they are STILL mandated by International Agreements & national legislation iaw those agreements. ..... despite the circumstances & fittings that caused them to be required in the first place having been removed from ALL motorcycles quite some years ago!

BRP only includes them because they're legally required to - I'd suggest that the moment they can work out a way around that requirement &/or it's dropped, then BRP won't install them any more.

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    At the insistence and support of the battery makers, motorcycle mfrs install kill switches to sell more batteries to those who use the kill switch and walk away w/o turning off the igniton. Best policy; Turn of the ignition and immediately remove the key.
    have done that a couple times, now I just key it. and also my Moto Guzzi key is in the right place
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

on a long ride just a couple days ago (12 hours) my wife who was behind me called out over MIC .... "I think I have a problem", .....waiting for next reply I looked back and saw her slowing down. SO WHATs the Trouble I say.
    her next reply was "I have no Power" I say ok just pull the bike off as far as possible off the road. MY mind is GOING fast and running thru all the issues like GAS OUT...NO,
    before I could turn my bike around I think OK she Killed IT. As I make another u turn behind her I ask her if she pushed that RED Ejector Botton. Hell yes... she wasn't happy doing something so stupid. She hasn't used that KILL switch for the past couple years after class. I said what until you press the Button getting off or on and when you think of it fast enough you JUST THINK ...**** how is the battery dead,, and hope you figure it out before calling for help...
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    The best use of the "kill switch" is to flip it on a buddies bike when you stop to eat, gas up, etc. Then watch him go a bit crazy when the bike won't re-start. The only time I have ever used a kill switch myself is when I had a tipover of a regular motorcycle and it was the fastest way to shut off the engine since the ignition key was located on the side of the bike which was down on the ground.
    I had exactly the same thing happen years ago and I was glad to have the kill switch available. But normally I never use, and since owning my RT I don't think I have ever touched it. In fact, when riding recently I accidentally turned the cruise control off and the Spyder slowed down so quickly I thought I had accidentally hit the engine cut-off switch. I would not have minded not having this switch on the RT.

FWIW, I recently took the MSF Basic Riders Class (despite being a motorcyclist for 35+ years; but its a long story as to why I was in that class) the "coaches" insisted that we use the "kill switch" whenever turning off the motorcycles, and then turning the iginition key to off. So a lot of new riders will probably use the switch when they are out riding the roads, thinking that this is the "right" way to turn off the bike. No harm done.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    The potential consequence of one poorly timed bump of that switch outweighs any dogmatic insistence on its use. I've considered using a drop of epoxy to disable it -- guess I can be overly dogmatic too. But, my decisions only effect me...
    I'll admit I have done it, driving it back from Texas when we bought it. Tell you how freaked out I was that something was actually wrong with a bike we just bought and all I did was hit the stupid kill switch. Never have I done it on any other bike I have owned, so don't know if its placement or what with the Spyder. And for reference, I do use it to kill the bike when I park it.

2012 Spyder RT Limited in Lava Bronze Metallic
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't usually deal with the kill switch when turning my Spyder on and off. It's all done by the ignition key.

However, I use the switch when I'm on my Harley. Don't rightly know why really. But the (possible) eventual failure of the kill switch from countless movements have me thinking that I should do the same when I'm on my 2-wheeler ....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Cool Kill switch?????

I've used it a few times-------- looked for one on ALL of our cars or trucks...... ah, NO.

Our 's get more and more like autos without a body. All the electronics. But I'm OK with it being handy.

Lew L

PS: I guess our cars do have a hidden kill switch ( that most people don't know about. In an accident there is a motion switch which shuts off the electronics) usually in the rear of the vehical.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    The "key" word is SWITCH.
    This is a MECHANICAL device.
    All MECHANICAL device have a limited life expectancy of a certain amount of "cycles".
    Those cycles are designated in their design specs and AGE also play into that factor.
    So it is not a matter IF but WHEN it will ultimately FAIL.

So you have a choice.
    1. Not to use and pretty much never worry
    2. Use it and EVENTUALLY find out.

In 56 years on the road, I have never used that switch except ONCE when the bike went down and kept running.
    I have seen others that always use that switch. I'm still wondering if they ever got their bikes started or if they are still stranded!

AJ
    As someone who did this stuff for a living, all I can say is "it depends"... BUT... the CamAm engineers would have to be incompetent for it to be
    a problem. Sure, it can fail, but I can win the lottery, too. The odds are the same order of magnitude.

Switch contact design is really old tech. Like telephone old tech (more than a century old). My first tech job was with a telephone switch manufacturer (North -not Northern- Electric, RIP) and some of the relays (which are just coil operated switches) were designed for thousands of operations per day, and a 25 year life span.

It's not hard to put together switch contacts that will withstand 100K mechanical operations. Make sure they're protected against arcing, and rhodium plated contacts at 12V will make it to 100K electrical operations.

The proof is in the pudding, The number of won't start problems attributable to the kill switch pales compared to almost everything else in the system - ignition modules, wiring, coils, etc, etc, etc.

For convenience, I used the kill switch probably 20% of the time on my ST1100. Never had a problem with it in over 100k mi.

Use it or don't for whatever reason, but switch failure is waaaay down there as a don't-start cause.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    I don't usually deal with the kill switch when turning my Spyder on and off. It's all done by the ignition key.

However, I use the switch when I'm on my Harley. Don't rightly know why really. But the (possible) eventual failure of the kill switch from countless movements have me thinking that I should do the same when I'm on my 2-wheeler ....
    There's a reason on 2 wheels - riding with a pillion. I always put both feet down at stops, which means I'm holding the bike with the front brake. Left hand is holding in the clutch. No prehensile nose to grab the ignition switch. Right thumb to the kill switch.

Spyder Garage

There is another use for the kill switch on a 2-wheeler I haven't seen mentioned. For all the time I rode Harleys, I would use the kill switch to cut off the engine if I parked on a grade. Leave the bike in first gear, kill the engine, let the clutch out, and use the stopped engine as a parking brake. Then turn off the ignition.

On a Spyder, between electric parking brake and SE trans, this is not necessary. So on my RTL, I set the parking brake then turn it off with the key. Kill switch is rarely used.

Different use cases, different results.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    There is another use for the kill switch on a 2-wheeler I haven't seen mentioned. For all the time I rode Harleys, I would use the kill switch to cut off the engine if I parked on a grade. Leave the bike in first gear, kill the engine, let the clutch out, and use the stopped engine as a parking brake. Then turn off the ignition.

On a Spyder, between electric parking brake and SE trans, this is not necessary. So on my RTL, I set the parking brake then turn it off with the key. Kill switch is rarely used.

Different use cases, different results.
    - Certainly, there's Different Cases, Different Results

But even so, that bit above is not only 'not necessary', but it won't work on an SE Spyder

You simply can NOT use the engine as a parking brake on an SE Spyder cos as soon as the engine's stopped there's no oil pressure to keep the clutch engaged on an SE6; or there's no revs to keep the clutch engaged (about 3,300 or so required) on an SE5... which means it'll just roll pretty freely without that electric Parking Brake engaged - hence the bloody strident alarm that goes off for 30 secs if you forget the Park Brake! .

Leaving your SE Spyder in gear with the engine off means the clutch MUST be disengaged & if you've got no Electric parking brake function &/or you aren't using some form of chock/s on a slope, then it's simply a recipie for a run away Spyder!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2022 at 02:08 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Using the kill switch. Do Ya?

I saw this mentioned in another post and decided its better to to start another thread.

After doing a MSF course the member made this comment.

In 50 years of riding I used the "kill switch" 2 times, now I use it all the time.

I didn't want to split the thread so started this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been riding 50yrs or so too.

I have attended all the rider courses over the last decade with my Son who has completed the program up to advanced rider. He has gone on to do some track days with experienced trainers some of who who have international racing experience.

It was fun so every 3 yrs or so I attend another advanced rider course. Just to be reminded of some things and usually pick up something new. Well worth it.

I have seen some US based videos where everybody stops for a while, shuts the bike down with the Kill Switch but leaves the key on. Then a discussion is had, and they start up and head off again.

Blokes lined up waiting for their turn to complete an activity, like right hand off the throttle and on the tank or your knee and on the idle do extended figure of 8's, thats and scary the first time. All the other remaining riders waiting their turn with the key on and the kill switch engaged.

The thought of insisting that blokes use the switch and leave a bike sitting for periods of time with the Kill Switch off and the key on sickens me.

Specially with these power hungry Spyders.

They do not make that part of our training here in New Zealand. I dont get it.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

In my book using the kill switch, it's to easy to unintentionally leave the key on and guess what dead battery.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Any time that I stop the key is removed and put in my pocket. Problem solved about leaving it on.

I guess that's my muscle memory kicking in.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I use the kill switch sometimes at gas stations to keep my bluetooth connected so I don't have to wait the minute or so for it to load again after key off. It is a painfully slow process on these machines. Other than that I never use it.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use the kill switch at gas stations to keep the ignition on so I can read the odometer. I put the mileage in my fuel log while I'm pumping the gas. Otherwise I never use it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a difference of opinion on this! In 50 yrs of riding 2 wheels I used the kill switch 3 times. When I bought our Spyder, at the urging of a Can Am friend, I took the Can Am course. One of the first things the instructor asked was why I didn't use the kill switch. He explained that somehow it works with the on-board computer to reset everything in proper order. While I have no idea what that means I started using the kill switch and haven't experienced any sort of problem. When I check out Spyder videos on youtube it appears most use the kill switch to shut down. Its a habit for me now.
    2016 S6E , Red

Spyder Garage

I'll NEVER forget the day I was cruising down one of our many backroads and decided to flip my 'vents'. When I reached for the right side vent the Spyder suddenly died and I rolled to the shoulder. Keep in mind that this was a very low traffic highway -- maybe 3 cars every 50 miles, or I wouldn't have tried it in motion. As it turned out, my helmet visor hit the kill switch. Can you imagine a similar event (not caused by vent flipping) on a crowded freeway? I was tempted to epoxy the button in the on position.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by narygancy View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize there was such a difference of opinion on this! ......
    Using the Kill Switch is an anachronistic hangover from the old days when motorcycle riders sat astride & slightly behind their gas tanks, which were immediately on top of the engine & which gravity fed gas to one or more carbies via a petcock valve in the fuel line, and AT THAT TIME, as such it was REALLY a significant safety requirement to be able to shut the spark to the engine off quickly and easily, even if it took you longer to shut off the gas flow!!

For modern motorcycles, Kill Switches have been pretty much a mostly useless thing (like your appendix ) since the advent of fuel injection & all the other electronic controls & interventions in the fuel supply & ignition system, and you really should ask yourself if they're so important on a modern fuel injected motorbike, then why doesn't your car, truck, or every other internal combustion engine powered vehicle on the road also have one?? Oh, hang on, they DO have one!! It's called the Ignition Switch and in deference to the training and supposedly ingrained muscle memory of a greater proportion of motor vehicle operators, on modern EFI motorcycles and our Spyders, turning that Ignition Switch OFF triggers the instant and orderly shut-down of the ignition system AND the fuel pump AND an array of other things all at the same time, exactly like it does by International Agreement & in many cases, also by National Legislation on any/every other ICE powered vehicle you might ride or drive!

So given that there's no longer a Safety driven NEED to cut the ignition circuit with a Kill Switch anymore, it all comes back to your personal preference as to whether you use them or not.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I use the kill switch sometimes at gas stations to keep my bluetooth connected so I don't have to wait the minute or so for it to load again after key off. It is a painfully slow process on these machines. Other than that I never use it.
    Have you ever tried to just press the brake pedal, hit the mode button, and start as soon as you turn the switch on? I do this and mine starts right up, no waiting. I have saw others post that this didn't work for them though.

Upon my second reading I understand that you're waiting on the "bluetooth" to pair again. My bad.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I'll NEVER forget the day I was cruising down one of our many backroads and decided to flip my 'vents'. When I reached for the right side vent the Spyder suddenly died and I rolled to the shoulder. Keep in mind that this was a very low traffic highway -- maybe 3 cars every 50 miles, or I wouldn't have tried it in motion. As it turned out, my helmet visor hit the kill switch. Can you imagine a similar event (not caused by vent flipping) on a crowded freeway? I was tempted to epoxy the button in the on position.
    Not a problem on the freeway. Just reach over and flip the switch back to on as quickly as you can and continue on your merry way. The engine continues turning and clutch stays engaged until you get nearly to stopping. You will have to reset cruise control though. It's happened to me a number of times.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Kawasaki Ninja kill switch malfunction left me stranded in Fort Kent Maine.

Ducati 900ss kill switch malfunction left me stranded in Albany New York.

Yamaha V-max kill switch malfunction left me stranded at work (2am no way home) disabled that one

Harley Davidson kill switch malfunction left me stranded at Americade in New York. disabled that one.

Can Am won't leave me stranded it was the first thing I disabled.

Having 4 out of 7 bikes having wonky kill switches all due to corrosion ( I lived in the salt belt and road all year long ).

I won't be taking any chances with the Can Am living next to the Gulf of Mexico.

Even the ignition switch in my Saab 99 went bad from corrosion because it was mounted between the seats and got moisture in it.

Now I will contradict myself by posting the following video
    https://youtu.be/D0S4nMx_tbA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not a problem on the freeway. Just reach over and flip the switch back to on as quickly as you can and continue on your merry way. The engine continues turning and clutch stays engaged until you get nearly to stopping. You will have to reset cruise control though. It's happened to me a number of times.
    That's all fine if you know why the Spyder died. I had no idea how or what happened until I did the same thing in the garage (where I felt the contact and heard the switch) one morning before a ride. Redundant and unnecessary switch -- It's only there because the law required it since the '70s. They wanted a 'standardized' position for turning a vehicle off after an incident, to make it easier for law enforcement/emergency responders. Harley's were the cause because the ignition switch was on the side where it may not be reachable when the bike was on the ground.
    '
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol