Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Spyder Garage

The KILL SWITCH is nothing more then equivalent of an EMERGENCY SHUTOFF.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That wonderful Kill Switch sold a lot of Batteries for us. BTW, a lead acid Battery sulfates much quicker with a low or dead Battery.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

That kill switch has given me that semi-panicked, sinking feeling you get when the bike won’t start when it was running fine a little while ago… on EVERY 2-wheeler and 3-wheeler I have owned.
    Years ago I belonged to a motorcycle club that had members who occasionally thought it very funny to push the kill switch on bikes in the parking lot.
    I never saw the humor in it as they would all jump on their bikes and leave as fast as they could so you didn’t have anyone to turn to for help or rescue. This was before cell phones and on a Friday night supper run 75 miles from home, at 10:00 at night it just really was not funny at all when you are the last one left in the parking lot.
    I never have, but always threatened to gorilla glue the switch in the “on” position.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no harm in using the KS. Besides regular use keeps the contacts clean. In the event of a need, or inadvertent use, knowing immediately where it is located doesn't hurt, either. If you don't want to use, then don't. But your ways are not the ways of everyone on this forum.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Only time mine goes from "Live" to "Kill(ed)" is when I bump it unintentionally.

Useful when a bike and its rider are on the ground and the engine is running.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

My Spyder has an issue starting when hot, and my clumsy a$$ tends to hit the on/off switch when grabbing a drink from the cup holder.

Last night I ripped into the right handlebar controls determined to get to the switch and short it out. Two hours later, a dozen 2mm star screws including 2 hidden (They really don't want you in there) I got to the actual switch... to find out its on a ribbon cable, not wired. Another hour to reassemble and institute Plan B.

Plan B. Find a small sheet metal screw, carefully insert it on the bottom of the switch, locking it between the gap at the bottom of the switch hole and the switch.

Power lock down.jpg

I had some thin aluminum laying around so I built a quick switch cover so I don't accidentally hit it.

switch cover.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2016 F3-S SM6 , Stock White Body, Black fenders (Factory Paint)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Using the Kill Switch is an anachronistic hangover from the old days when motorcycle riders sat astride & slightly behind their gas tanks, which were immediately on top of the engine & which gravity fed gas to one or more carbies via a petcock valve in the fuel line, and AT THAT TIME, as such it was REALLY a significant safety requirement to be able to shut the spark to the engine off quickly and easily, even if it took you longer to shut off the gas flow!!

For modern motorcycles, Kill Switches have been pretty much a mostly useless thing (like your appendix ) since the advent of fuel injection & all the other electronic controls & interventions in the fuel supply & ignition system, and you really should ask yourself if they're so important on a modern fuel injected motorbike, then why doesn't your car, truck, or every other internal combustion engine powered vehicle on the road also have one?? Oh, hang on, they DO have one!! It's called the Ignition Switch and in deference to the training and supposedly ingrained muscle memory of a greater proportion of motor vehicle operators, on modern EFI motorcycles and our Spyders, turning that Ignition Switch OFF triggers the instant and orderly shut-down of the ignition system AND the fuel pump AND an array of other things all at the same time, exactly like it does by International Agreement & in many cases, also by National Legislation on any/every other ICE powered vehicle you might ride or drive!

So given that there's no longer a Safety driven NEED to cut the ignition circuit with a Kill Switch anymore, it all comes back to your personal preference as to whether you use them or not.
    I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but find it ironic that the old fashioned kill switch is the only way BRP gave us to shut off the Ryker.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but find it ironic that the old fashioned kill switch is the only way BRP gave us to shut off the Ryker.
    And what about the 'Key' fob?? And the... Nope, not starting; just -

Cost cutting to the extreme....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    I always use the key to turn off the engine, I did it with my wing and I now do it with my I don't touch the kill switch

Be Safe
    AC
    I do the same thing every time, I have had my 2011 RTS a little over 2 years ..... put about 9,000 miles on it, no problems, I have read where people have had parking brake problems, so I never use it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2023 at 11:20 PM. Reason: ' 's. but it was a WAAAYY OLD thread before the merge! :-/
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    I always use the key to turn off the engine, I did it with my wing and I now do it with my I don't touch the kill switch

Be Safe
    AC
    I do the same thing every time, I have had my 2011 RTS a little over 2 years ..... put about 9,000 miles on it, no problems, I have read where people have had parking brake problems, so I never use it.
    but I hafta say, dragging up a 2011 thread & post was a bit of thread archaeology!

Still... I've discussed this before, so I won't add too much again - you can look up & read back thru the (now combined) thread if you really want to see my earlier posts.

But for those who still feel the need to discuss this, just type "Kill Switch" into the Search field (up toward the top Right of the page); check the 'Search Titles Only' box in the Drop Down list; then submit the Search & do some reading.... You don't really need to do much more than read the thread titles to begin to work out why Kill Switches on modern EFI engines motorcycles are an anachronism that are probably more likely to cause you issues than they are save your life! And besides, you don't have a big red button like that on your car, do you?!

Enjoy.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Must be in the minority but: I always use the "engine stop switch" on every bike I ride. Guess it's one's choice of what seems easy. Simple & convenient. Never really tried to start a bike with it in the "OFF" position. Same procedure for the past 43 years: Key "ON", "Engine Stop switch "RUN" (listen for fuel pump to pressurize), Hit the "Starter Button". Spyder adds a step or two but no biggie. Do what works for you and have fun.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RGVSpyderGirl View Post
    ... does it hurt the engine to continually turn it off with the kill switch.
    That's literally what the kill switch is for. I know on other bikes, it was recommended to use the kill switch because repeatedly using the key to turn it off could damage the contacts in the ingition.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

The reason manufacturer's recommend using the kill switch is this builds automatic muscle memory so that in case of emergency, you're not hunting around for the correct switch. It also alleviates the issue of someone activating the kill switch and the rider not understanding why their machine won't start. Happens more than you know.

On some machines, the ignition switch is in an awkward spot forcing the rider to take one hand off the handlebars and reach around for it. Not a big deal on the Spyder because it can't fall over. But on 2 wheels, more of a concern in slippery or unstable situations.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-25-2023 at 10:55 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Neutral, engage park brake, turn ignition off, remove key. I'll test the kill switch every once in awhile.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

What folks FAIL to understand is the word KILL!
    It is there for EMERGENCY shutdown of the engine.
    Do you KILL your CAR?
    BUT do as you want but remember this. ALL toggle switches eventually fail.
    With 57 years of riding, I only used a KILL switch once immediately after an accident when the engine REQUIRED an emergency shutdown.
    Also remember this - those telling you to use the switch are more likely INEXPERIENCED riders themselves.
    But like I said, what ever floats your boat.

AJ
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2023 at 08:12 PM. Reason: wgteve?? ;-)

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

My emergency stop switch was used once by some d(ckhead at a fuel stop on a group ryde with a bunch of 2 wheelers that I didn't know. I went in to pay and my didn't spring to life as usual. I gave the group a sinister look, flipped the switch to "run" as though nothing happened. They stopped snickering.....

Many moons ago I accidently hit that switch on my CB900F while loading up. Took more that a few minutes to figure it out. I've been much more careful over the past decades.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow