Spyder Garage

Question 2020 RT Sway Problem Advice

I'm a new to me 2020 Limited RT owner. I have never owned/driven a Spyder or Trike. From fellow Spyder owners I was told you will get some sway (feels like fishtailing). I noticed it's worse in the turns and when I have a passenger. I have the new sway bar already installed but I just can't believe this is normal. Is it? It's not unsafe or a wobble, it just seems to grab harder at times moving you side to side. Bike stays straight. Is this just the wind catching me and the bike? Please chime in with advise. As for now I just tell my passengers that this is the way these bikes are, get used to it and you be fine.
    Last edited by Iceberg50; 04-05-2022 at 09:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg50 View Post
    I'm a new to me 2020 Limited RT owner. I have never owned/driven a Spyder or Trike. From fellow Spyder owners I was told you will get some sway (feels like fishtailing). I noticed it's worse in the turns and when I have a passenger. I have the new sway bar already installed but I just can't believe this is normal. Is it? It's not unsafe or a wobble, it just seems to grab harder at times moving you side to side. Bike stays straight. Is this just the wind catching me and the bike? Please chime in with advise. As for now I just tell my passengers that this is the way these bikes are, get used to it and you be fine.
    As being a new rider myself, I would suggest it is just being that a new rider. When I took my spyder for a test ride, It seemed like it was all over the road. I talked to the salesman and he said that it was just overcompensating being a new rider. After a few hundred miles that went away. Now that I have 4000 miles plus I feel more confident in riding it. But if you feel that there is something wrong with your bike always error on the side of caution and have it looked at by a professional. Also look into taking the riding class offered through BRP or a dealership sponsored ride. Safe travels.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2022 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Reduced to 3 fm size 7!
    2021 Limited , Brake pedal widened Glacial Blue Metallic

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The issue is probably with you holding too tight to the handlebars. You will need to relax. It takes anywhere from 300-1000 miles to get used to the spyder. Don't give up, just relax your grip and you will find it to get better. The only other thing I can think of right away is to check the tire air pressure. It is pretty critical that you maintain close to the same pressure in both front tires. I like to keep mine between 17-18 pounds. But regardless, they should be the same. Good luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I agree with the grip being most likely cause. Try to 'guide' the RT instead of 'steering'. A tight grip will transfer your upper body movements to the handlebars and the RT has sensitive steering input.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Laser alignment, sway bar(which you have), balance tire inflation(I ride 18 front and 28 back on Kanines), loosen grip, relax and seat time and all the jittery steering goes away with time. When I got my first Spyder last year about this time, I thought I had really screwed up buying it. Now I can't get enough ride time. Really glad I moved on from two wheels after 50 years of riding. It's fun watching others on two wheels try to keep up with you on your Spyder. You'll get to love it.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone. I did start being more relaxed and I did notice a difference however, with a passenger on the back I revert back to square one. I'll tell her to relax too! Oh, and check the tire pressure.

Spyder Garage

tire pressure did it for me. was all over the road till I dropped two pounds in the front
    2021 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

What pressure do you run?

Spyder Garage

18 in stock tires front. 28 in rear
    2021 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Check your tire pressures, and get a few more miles under your butt, relax your grip and after a bit, try to find someone to do a laser alignment on the bike!! Some would say that you should get a set of car tires on it, myself you should be able to solve your problem without that! How many miles do you have so far?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Most of the time my passenger is my wife and she has rode with me for over 40 years. One thing she does is when we get into a curve is she will lean her upper body into the turn just like we would be doing on two wheels. It is amazing what that little bit of weight transfer does for the Spyders handling. Talk with your passenger it may be worth a try.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    ........ How many miles do you have so far?
    Less than 100 but working on it. I just wanted to see if others have this problem and seems like its normal for new riders like they say.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2022 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Also you may think this is pure b.s. but install a set of the foam grips if you don't have them. They help to keep you from holding on too tight.

I agree with checking the air pressure. I use 17 in my front tires, any more than 17-18psi and I feel like it's quite squirrely.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Had my F3 for only a few weeks. Its my first Spyder.
    Gotta admit I was shocked for a bloke with 50 yrs on bikes it was a whole new ballgame.
    I would go as far to say a nightmare for me in the corners.

A few weeks on and upping the front pressures a little.
    And actually learnt to turn the bar from muscle memory and sight picture during the corner and not a thought processes.
    Well its fun now.

Seat time helps with a route with as many corners as you can find.

Spyder Garage

LOOSE HANDS, LOOSE ARMS!

The steering is very sensitive to any input and a tight grip causes your problem. It took me 1K miles just to get comfortable with my Spyder and another 1K to feel I was in control. The learning curve can be long for some - it was for me after 67 years on 2 wheels. Give yourself time.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Not sure of your age but if you started driving a car/truck back in the non power steering days do you remember the first time you got in something with power steering and how you had problems keeping it between the lines because you over corrected? You are now experiencing the same thing.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

As Navydad said tell your passenger to follow your lead and lean into the turns in addition to pressing down hard on the outside foot peg. It's very much akin to riding a tandem bicycle.

FWIW, Either solo or with two up, if you lift your hands off the bars and the Spyder does NOT track straight down the road like an arrow shot from a crossbow you have an alignment problem and/or front tires not within 1/2 lb of each other.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I read all about the pillion advice.
    Passed it on to the wife and we went for a ride.
    She said it was a non event......
    Wondered what all the fuss was about.

I wondered why and may have the answer.

The pillion sits more or less above the rear tyre.
    It pivots around there.

The rider is much more forward and thus has more distance to make up as it changes direction.

Now.
    From a sitting position.
    Hold your forearm out arm out level to the ground. Gurnn try it.
    Swing your hand left and right.
    Your elbow (pillion) it almost static, and your hand (rider) swings through the arc.

Spyder Garage

Just if your wondering.
    We did a rural NZ country ride that follows a river valley.
    I took it easy and gradually up the pace.
    Had a coffee then returned a similar route.
    Think I got close to lifting the inside wheel on the way back a few times.
    About 1hr each way.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Think I got close to lifting the inside wheel on the way back a few times.
    I doubt it. You would have felt Nanny kick in and slow you down first, either by automatic braking or throttling back, or both.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Most of the time my passenger is my wife and she has rode with me for over 40 years. One thing she does is when we get into a curve is she will lean her upper body into the turn just like we would be doing on two wheels. It is amazing what that little bit of weight transfer does for the Spyders handling. Talk with your passenger it may be worth a try.
    Oh man, I always HATED when I was on my motorcycle and my passenger would lean her upper body into a turn like Valentino Rossi or Kenny Roberts. It would sometimes catch me by surprise, lol.

They don't really have to do that on a Spyder.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Oh man, I always HATED when I was on my motorcycle and my passenger would lean her upper body into a turn like Valentino Rossi or Kenny Roberts. It would sometimes catch me by surprise, lol.

They don't really have to do that on a Spyder.
    But they probably would benefit if they did. The vector force of gravity pulling down on the torso added to the vector force of centrifugal force pulling it to the outside of the turn, will result in a net force along the body pulling it down toward the seat.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)