Spyder Garage

Default How many hours to remove the plastic? 2012 RT Limited

I have owned several motorcycles with plastic body panels, including a Honda Pacific Coast, so I am very familiar with removing plastic from a motorcycle. Just so you know that I'm not starting as a complete newbie. Although I'm sure this one is quite different.

I'm hoping someone who has done this before can tell me, because I see Spyders with wraps on the paint and such. How long does it take to remove all of the body-colored pieces? A related question is, how many hours to remove the different-colored pieces around the bottom? My body-colored plastic still looks great, but those pieces around the bottom could use a little work.

Photo for reference:

Spyder.jpg
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

If your Spyder is new to you a good investment would be an online service manual for about $30 that will have instructions on the how to. Try this link: https://brpmanuals.com/canam-spyder-manual.htm.

The first time can be somewhat intimidating but it is not a difficult process once you've done it the first time. A T30 Torx bit and electric screwdriver can save some time. I've never timed myself.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Once you have done it, using a power driver of some sort, about 20 minutes if going slow. First time, about an hour.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Once you have done it, using a power driver of some sort, about 20 minutes if going slow. First time, about an hour.
    Thanks, that is good to know. I'm finding some good YouTube videos out there but they usually do not give a good feeling for the actual elapsed time.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I have owned several motorcycles with plastic body panels, including a Honda Pacific Coast, so I am very familiar with removing plastic from a motorcycle. Just so you know that I'm not starting as a complete newbie. Although I'm sure this one is quite different.

I'm hoping someone who has done this before can tell me, because I see Spyders with wraps on the paint and such. How long does it take to remove all of the body-colored pieces? A related question is, how many hours to remove the different-colored pieces around the bottom? My body-colored plastic still looks great, but those pieces around the bottom could use a little work.

Photo for reference:

Spyder.jpg
    Lamonster posted a good video on YouTube on this very topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbiTM5Fc4Pc
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I've never taken ALL the body panels off, but have had most of em off. The ones in the middle can be done in probably about 20-25 mins, especially with practice. Popping the mirrors off is a bit unnerving till you do it a couple of times. I've had the whole frunk off too, that is a bit more involved. Have never fully deconstructed the back panels as I've never had a need to. The bottom panels (not painted) come off with the pegs and a few other screws.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With a power drill, I'd say inside 15 minutes.

You'll get faster the more times you do it, like most things.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !