Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change gone sideways

I changed the oil for the first time in my 2010 spyder RTS last weekend. It being a dry sump system and it being my first time on the Spyder, I followed the book. Drained, filled to the books spec, ran for 2 minutes, added the second amount the book suggested, then checked the level. It looked low, so I added to the full line. Afterwards I decided to read about some peoples experience with oil changes and find that in order to get the proper oil level you need to ride it to actually get the oil up to temp. Otherwise it reads low. So on Sunday (yesterday) I take the Spyder for a spin to let it get nice and warm. Get home, check the oil level and sure enough its high. No big deal, I can suck some oil out with a syringe like I have before. The syringe I have holds about 100ml and has a 6in clear pvc hose on the end to get to the bottom of the tank. I pull out 3 half syringes and was making good progress. On the 4th I pull the syringe out and no hose. Great... somehow the hose came off the end and was in the oil tank. No big deal, I have a tool for this! Its one of those grabber clamp things for grabbing dropped bolts. So I fish around in the oil tank for the hose, blind of course, with no luck. So I pull the spyder tupperware back off and drain the oil tank. I put an inspection camera down in the tank so I can see where the hose is. Well, I can't see it. Either the camera resolution is to small ( its an old Milwaukee with like a 1.5in screen), or these old eyes just can see it. I stop for the night frustrated. That brings one to today, with a hose somewhere in my oil tank. I ordered the parts to pull the oil tank out (new clamps, new filter screen, o-rings, etc).

What would you guys do? Leave it in there? Keep fishing for it? Pull the oil tank out and shake it until it comes out?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2022 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Caps + ' 's %-)

Spyder Garage

Depending on how long the hose end is I can’t see it making a turn at the bottom of the dipstick. I would assume that is hard poly plastic and wouldn’t bend. It has to be straight down and to the right. Are you sure the hose isn’t suctioned to the side and the camera is going though it? I’m guessing its 3-4 inches long can’t see it making the turn unless you physically bent it and and pushed it into the resivour with the camera or tool. It would only be on the one side. I don’t think it would be able to be pulled out bottom. Are there any chips of plastic in the oil when drained? I would not leave that in there. Got to go from the top in my opinion.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Francopacks View Post

On the 4th I pull the syringe out and no hose. What would you guys do? Leave it in there? Keep fishing for it? Pull the oil tank out and shake it until it comes out?

I would keep working and find it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2022 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep fishing. It's easier to pull it out in one piece than in a thousand little ones because they may not all make it to the filter. Wishing you bunches and bunches of good luck.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO Francopacks, it probably won't effect the engine. ... it's not possible for it to move into the engine/transmission ..... It probably won't be too difficult to remove the Reservoir .... and see if you can fish it out ...... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2022 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO Francopacks, it probably won't effect the engine. ... it's not possible for it to move into the engine/transmission ..... It probably won't be too difficult to remove the Reservoir .... and see if you can fish it out ...... good luck .... Mike
    Would it be captured by the tranny filter before it went anywhere else?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2022 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Would it be captured by the tranny filter before it went anywhere else?
    After re-examining a parts Fiche', I don't see how the plastic tube could migrate OUT of the reservoir ... ( the reservoir is no longer sold as a part ) The OP didn't say how large or small the piece of plastic tube was, but the oil has to move thru a number of hoses, and I don't think it can happen .... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    After re-examining a parts Fiche', I don't see how the plastic tube could migrate OUT of the reservoir ... ( the reservoir is no longer sold as a part ) The OP didn't say how large or small the piece of plastic tube was, but the oil has to move thru a number of hoses, and I don't think it can happen .... JMHO .... Mike
    syringe I have holds about 100ml and has a 6in clear pvc hose on the end..........That's the only description. Maybe he's lucked out?

Spyder Garage

And I thought I was the only one stuff like that happened to….
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Take a breath (or ten) clear aggravations & attempt again, unfortunately the space available to work in does not allow much flexibility, the grabber tool may have pushed further & or against side & surface tension holding it camouflaged out of site. Oil temps could possibly melt/ misshape it to clog a screen or worse. Keep trying till you reach your limits(then time for dealer),this is only your first oil change attempt, just part of the learning experience don’t strip the drain plugs with multiple removals & such.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil tube

...Well, I have thought about this 'Tube' and I would keep trying to remove it. If you can not do it, then I would let a Shop do the job. Definely Would NOT leave the Tube in place. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I had this same thing happen to me back when I got my Spyder, which is a 2013 STS. I ended up taking the bottom oil line off so I could see in the bottom of the reservoir, I was able to see and fish the hose that hole. Good Luck.
    2013 STS , OEM Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

On my (former) 2008 SE5 GS, I did the same thing using one of those Prestone antifreeze testers with the big bulb. About a 4" tube. Tried fishing it out with no luck. Told by shop not to worry about it. Ran well for 5 years until I traded her in.
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

The strainer in the bottom of the tank should be cleaned on a regular basis anyway so pull it and work from both ends to get it out.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    And I thought I was the only one stuff like that happened to….
    You're not alone. We've all done something stupid at one time or another. Maybe a couple of times.

Spyder Garage

My concern would be for the heat on this plastic tube. I would try everything available to fish it out. Would it be possible for you to try to use another tube attached to a strong vacuum to "grab" the wayward tube?
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

The hose is one of those clear pvc flexible hoses and is about 6" in length, maybe 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter.

I ordered the parts to pull out the oil tank (o-rings, New clamps, etc). My current plan is to pull it out and shake it until the hose migrates out.

The Spyder is a manual transmission, so no worries about that side pickup. I pulled that plug out to help give some more room to work.

The oil strainer, it looks like its a 29mm to pull it out?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2022 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's %-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    My concern would be for the heat on this plastic tube. I would try everything available to fish it out. Would it be possible for you to try to use another tube attached to a strong vacuum to "grab" the wayward tube?
    Thats my concern too. Pvc over time will harden with exposure to oil or gas unless its treated for that. I don't want little plastic chunks floating around in there...

I like the vacuum idea. Ill see if I can fangle something.

Spyder Garage

The hose is one of those clear pvc flexible hoses and is about 6" in length, maybe 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter.

I ordered the parts to pull out the oil tank (o-rings, New clamps, etc). My current plan is to pull it out and shake it until the hose migrates out.

The Spyder is a manual transmission, so no worries about that side pickup. I pulled that plug out to help give some more room to work.

Any update? You have piqued my curiosity about if you got it out or not?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2022 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2020 RTL , Chalk metallic

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I saw your post about the "grabber tool" I assume you are using a retrieval tool. For the size you have you can use one of these. I bought them decades ago when I first started out as a Junior Engineer on the advice of my Senior Engineer at the time.

For the size you are describing one of these retrieval tools should work especially if the tube is standing upright in another tube on the bottom of the reservoir. They are sold in different sizes depending on your needs.

I put the level next to them for a size comparison. The metal one is flexible and capable of handling a turn in a tube.

IMG_20220809_032048189.jpg
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 08-09-2022 at 02:49 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys, but I wouldn't be too sure that Franco will see these last couple of posts all that soon....

According to the date/time stamps on his posts/profile (the dtg's in my time zone, but I reckon you'll see the point! ) Franco last posted here on 2022-04-07 @ 08:27 & his last visit/activity to/on the Forum was 2022-04-07 @ 11:34 ..... sooo, he hasn't been here at all for about 4 months, which I guess means you probably shouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My bad, just woke up and I forgot to read the date/time stamp to check for necro threads...

I guess the zombies are out tonight.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2022 at 04:29 AM. Reason: ,' ' %-)

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    My bad, just woke up and I forgot to read the date/time stamp to check for necro threads...

I guess the zombies are out tonight.
    Not all that bad, just so long as you're not hanging out for an answer.....

But I could well be wrong, maybe Franco's subscribed & is just typing up a response right now....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Right on Franco, let's hear it, we are waiting. Perhaps he is gonna trade it in on one of those fancy 2023's?

Spyder Garage

Maybe he's still trying to fish that hose out of his reservoir! He seemed pretty focused on that. Me, I would have left it if I couldn't get it out easily. I don't think it would have made any difference at all. Though I have to admit it would have been a mental bother that never went away. It might be worth the effort just for the piece of mind.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...