Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default After advice from couples that ride separate bikes.

Hello! My wife got her 3 wheeled license this past November and we picked up her a F3T the same month. I was able to take her for a short ride through the neighborhood before Christmas, and she did fine. Step ahead to this past weekend. She was able to get out again for the first time and says that she will try to make a habit of riding more each week to help herself get used to it. After a few laps with me riding in the passenger seat, she did a couple with her driving solo and I followed her on my bike. Then we did a couple more with her following me.
    My question is, if you are riding with your spouse on separate bikes, do you lead, or let her lead (if she has the least amount of experience)? I was told by a friend to follow in order to try to keep an eye on the unknown that comes up from behind (like tailgaters). But there is also so much to look out for when leading. What are your experiences and how do you handle it?
    Thanks in advance for your information.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I would lead the way and use my rearview mirrors frequently to keep an eye on her. I've encountered and avoided many more dangers in front of me than behind me. Just a word from experience, dangers from the rear are almost all unavoidable. Sorry to have to point that out but it's true. We just don't have eyes in the back of our heads so to speak.

Spyder Garage

When we travel, I follow my wife. This way she sets the speed and I don't feel like I'm pushing her to go faster than she's comfortable with.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Both spyders.jpg we both have head sets
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Communications with head sets was a great plus for us. Most of the time I will lead --- at least for the beginning of the ride. More for navigation than any other reason. Most times when we are headed home she will take the lead for the last 10-20 miles. It breaks up the ride and gives her experience with a lead. She has found that when we are riding with others she likes to be the tail gunner.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Bob L, tailgunner has to drive a bit faster then the drivers in front, so pick up the speed, and enjoy the ryde....
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

After 10's of thousands of miles on bikes and now Spyders, it always worked out best for me to lead and her to follow. She goes her speed and I adjust speed as needed. I do spend a lot of time looking in the rear view mirror, though, but you get used to it.

She says it always helped to know how I would approach different things that come up as you ride. On two wheels, it was easier for her, but now on 3 maybe this aspect isn't that important any more.

Tom

Spyder Garage

My husband and I have each had own bikes for a many years and I have always followed behind his bike. Now that we are on Spyders, he has said he doesn't check his side mirrors nearly as often. We use Senas for bike-to-bike communication.

Ride Safe,
    Gina J

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have had separate Spyders for the last 7 years and have done many long trips lasting months and we day ride often. I usually follow her until we get into towns and then she follows as I am better at navigating and making detours if needed. I feel more comfortable with her in the front because I spend too much time watching my mirrors when she is in the rear. We also do a number of group rides with our club and she will sweep and I will lead . We also have communicators and use them constantly.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

We have been riding separate Spyders since 2012. She now has about 50,000 assorted Spyder miles.

She like me to be the leader, so I do. We communicate by head set (Currently Sena). We know each others habits and quirks very good by now. Most communication is done by one or two word commands. We leave most of the comm's for ride related information. Make sure to say "right," "left," or "center" when using short commands.

EG: debris, left, Moose right, debris center, etc. She knows if I make a sudden move to the right or left, to follow exactly. This has resulted in the avoidance of road hazards that I did not catch quickly enough to relay. The turn signals let her know about the turns.

We find that separate Spyders are very good for the two of us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When my wife first started riding she wasn't comfortable riding the twisty roads. Had her follow me to see the lane position I took on the curves, by the end of the day she was doing great.

I usually lead, but when she gets bored following she has no problem jumping up front. We use our Senas to communicate, which is a big plus.
    2017 TriGlide

2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Purple/Black

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We usually take turns. Our Cardo Freecom 4 Plus is a great way to communicate and be in touch with each other.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

My wife prefers to follow. The one time I made her lead was on the Tail of the Dragon and I had a hard time keeping up !!!

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife prefers that I lead. A bit frustrating at times as she tends to fall back out of sight and/or BT range at times before I realize what's happening.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Most of the time I lead and the wife follows but we do switch back and forth when she knows the area. We also use Senas to communicate.
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

My wife and I take turns on who is leading. It's about a 50/50 split. More times than not it's the flow of traffic and switching lanes that will cause us to change who is the lead. When we ride with a large group of course we would remain in position, but when it's just the two of us the tag-team approach works well for us. Personally, I don't mind following her as the tail position is a much more relaxing position in that you don't have to constantly check for your spouse in your mirrors.

Nothing worries me more than when she is behind me and out of sight. We haven't yet stepped into two-way communication beyond hand gestures.
    Last edited by BryanSD; 04-06-2022 at 06:28 AM.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

When my Girlfriend started riding her Spyder we started out with me following her to give her a comfort level of no close tailgaters. I was basically navigating and coaching her using our headsets which was very beneficial. We started out on country roads without a lot of traffic, I let her ride at a speed she felt comfortable with. She found this very helpful having me riding behind offering riding tips.

The one thing I thought of later (which I didn't do) was to record the ride then have her watch to assist with improving her riding.

She has been riding for 3 years and prefers me lead.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    My wife and I take turns on who is leading. It's about a 50/50 split. More times than not it's the flow of traffic and switching lanes that will cause us to change who is the lead. When we ride with a large group of course we would remain in position, but when it's just the two of us the tag-team approach works well for us. Personally, I don't mind following her as the tail position is a much more relaxing position in that you don't have to constantly check for your spouse in your mirrors.

Nothing worries me more than when he is behind me and out of sight. We haven't yet stepped into two-way communication beyond hand gestures.
    Oh man, you and your wife HAVE to invest in two-way communication. It's a game changer....unless of course, she likes to yap all day and then you're pretty much screwed, LOL.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the tips. Supposed to be 82 degrees today, so I will be taking her out once traffic slows down for some more practice. I think I will start out with her following me in order to learn the practice roads that we are going to do. But I do like the idea of following her in order to discourage tailgating.
    Thanks again. I just found out that my buddies friend is expecting delivery of her 2022 F3S near the end of May, or early June. This will possibly be enough to keep my wife interested in riding.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white