Spyder Garage

Default Shop Rates! Wow!

I had my bike at a shop in Arizona last week for a laser alignment. Found my bike was not out of align, and all looked good. Still had to pay the alignment because tech did take a look! Not what I’m venting about, looked at the “Shop Rate” sign, $180.00 per hour! Wow! Can not believe that! Comments welcome…
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Things are going crazy. Went to get our boat this weekend, talking to the dealer. She said one brand has gone up 25 % in price. Another is not even taking any more orders for new boats this year.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    I had my bike at a shop in Arizona last week for a laser alignment. Found my bike was not out of align, and all looked good. Still had to pay the alignment because tech did take a look! Not what I’m venting about, looked at the “Shop Rate” sign, $180.00 per hour! Wow! Can not believe that! Comments welcome…
    I recently had my alignment checked by Netzley Tire ..... took all of 10 min. to tell me it didn't need adjustment _ and NO CHARGE ..... I hate Stealers ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Shop Rates

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    YES, the 'Shop Rates' are terrible. This Covid-19 is going to bring America to it's knees. ...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

As a new Spyder owner and site member I was very surprised with this site in regards when Blokes with a bike problem asking for help with what appeared to be the semi stock answer was the " Take it to the shop".

I like wrenching shop work as you Blokes call it.
    I have some tools, a shed, and the time and enthusiasm to do most bike stuff.
    The electronic stuff I admit is beyond me.

If a Blokes is willing to give it a crack, whats wrong with that?

Other sites like Triumph, Honda Goldwing and ADV bikes, usually reply with here ya go mate.
    Not have you done a search.
    How about I did a search for ya..?
    Not take it to the shop.
    This is how ya do it and here is the result.

Shop charge out rates like $180..... Crikey

There must be members who have the knowledge for quite a few of the things appearing here with Blokes asking for tips, and pointing in the right direction before the Take it to the shop kicks in.

How about stepping up?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well this Bloke says bring it to the shop if you pay for a warranty why wrench on it and void the warranty? I have no problem wrenching but sometimes you just have to let the shop do it or cause more grief.

Spyder Garage

I was quoted $690 for a laser alignment two weeks ago by my dealer. They are now referred to as my previous dealer.
    Fenton Michigan
    2015 Spyder RT-S SE6
    2021 Aluma 6810H Trailer

Spyder Garage

$180 is definitely above average--but last time I went in was over a year ago. With the wage inflation and labor shortage, I can't say I'm shocked to see shop rates rising rapidly. If you can find an independent shop that works on Can-Am, they're usually cheaper than dealer rates.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think my local shop is still at $116 per hour. Kinda making me rethink my design fees. Seems like I am not keeping up with inflation.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Didn't know hourly rate was that high (in some places). I'm fortunate to live close to LaMonsters where I went for a balance, align and oil change last year and was pleased with their service and prices. The align was 1/3 of the quoted cost from the dealer --it DID need it--and my friends, also on a 2021 RTL did not need one and was not charged.
    When it warms up a bit I plan on re-visiting their showroom for some items I will be needing soon . (lusting after that ZumoXT).
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2024 Triumph Speed 400, blue

Spyder Garage

When I left Alaska in May 2019, the shop rate was $130 per hour.

When I arrived in Arkansas, and have been to Spyderpops and Lamonster Garage for servicing, I found the shop rates to be under $100 per hour. Don't know what they are currently, but both F3's are going to be annually serviced in about a month. Note: neither of the above is an "authorized" service center for Can Am, but I would rather have their mechanics work on my Spyders, than "genuine" mechanics. And I use the term very loosely.

Spyders have always been expensive to service, but they got me where they want me. I cannot get down on the hands and knees and do any service on my machines.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Found this DIY alignment Video in this site.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...aser-Alignment

Will have to give it a try. Probably cost much less in equipment that what dealers are asking.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have to know this was going to happen. All minumum wages have gone up along with the price of goods , insurance etc.

Wish I made that kind of money back when I was in my early years of working . I may have been retired by now..

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    Found this DIY alignment Video in this site.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...aser-Alignment

Will have to give it a try. Probably cost much less in equipment that what dealers are asking.
    Equipment is only a part of the alignment process. You must know and understand the details of all the angles involved, and the relationship of toe-in, track width, and target width. I did my own laser alignment a year ago. The process was a bit tedious, and there are a lot of parameters to account for. I documented it here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...dealer-foul-up. My posts resulted in a lot of discussion about what all is involved with a lot of positive back and forth comments. I suggest you read it all the way through before you start.

My RT was handling quite nicely still at the end of the summer!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Just got off the phone "discussing" the $660 (4hrs.) alignment and the $487 oil change with the service manager. His comments were that's the corporate rate for these services and he is stuck with the charge rate. (Really, I'm stuck with it.) He's offered me a $200 gift certificate when I'm there next time, but I don't see me returning. I can drive to the west side of the state (Washington), have the Spyder serviced, spend the night, have a great meal, and return home the next day and still save money.

With these costs so blatantly high for some of us, I wonder if these rates/charges are due to exactly as the service manager said. My local dealer is a Ride Now dealership and is a huge chain around the US. I'd be interested in how many of you with these high priced services were at a chain dealership.

Regardless, I'll start doing my own service and/or find somewhere else to go.
    Last edited by AtomicEd; 04-05-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I did my own laser alignment a year ago. I documented it here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...dealer-foul-up. I suggest you read it all the way through before you start.
    Thank you very much for the link. That was a really interesting project that you did and the whole thread was very educational.

I looked-up the Johnson Level & Tool 40-6164 on Amazon.ca and it's on special for only $81.37 instead of $95. I suppose that getting two of those is still cheaper than than getting it aligned at the dealer.

I'm still waiting for my machine to arrive, so I'm getting as much information as possible as I can from this forum and various videos. Sorting the wheat from the chaff can be a bit of a challenge, but well documented threads like your project goes a long way in helping newbies like me.

Thanks

Update: I just remembered this video that I saw a month ago. He probably should have adjusted both tie rods equally. What do you think of his method?

https://youtu.be/Ho12zpOkAPA
    Last edited by GFrog; 04-05-2022 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added link
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    Update: I just remembered this video that I saw a month ago. He probably should have adjusted both tie rods equally. What do you think of his method?

https://youtu.be/Ho12zpOkAPA
    Pass on it. His method has a couple of shortcomings. First, measuring on the wheel rim front and back is such a short distance it can lead to significant error in the end. That's why the laser approach uses targets at 6 feet or so fore and aft of the front wheel center. Also, his method does not align the wheels so that the travel path, or track, of each wheel is equal distance from the rear wheel. BUDs is really needed to set or reset the steering angle sensor and steering torque sensors readings to zero for straight forward travel.

You don't want to focus on adjusting the tie rods equally. Each side needs to be adjusted so that the toe-in ends up at what you're aiming for, the tracks are equidistant from the rear tire, and the handlebar is as close to perpendicular to the line of travel as possible.

For an understanding of what the significance of the steering torque sensor and the steering angle sensor are get a copy of the service manual for your Spyder. About the best place to get one is www.canammanuals.com.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)