Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Don’t do too many mods until you ride for awhile?

I’m adopting this attitude. However, I DID buy the foam grips but won’t do any other mods until riding the new bike (getting it in May) for a few months. Is this a common sense, good philosophy?

I mean, based on what I read, I could get better mirrors, a reverse stick, LED lights, a better seat, brake pedal, a shield, a radiator protector...but is it really necessary until a person actually enjoys the bike, First? I mean which of those mentioned are really necessary? I don’t plan on very long rides or even extended highway rides.

Dale

Spyder Garage

I think so, but then that is what I did. I have a 2012 RTL with the VTwin engine.The MAP sensor tubes are a known problem so I changed those but pretty much left it alone for a year. I could feel the improvements in handling when I made the changes in sway bar and tires because I knew how it handled before. BTW if you get to a point sooner then just do it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Knowing what you have now ..... gives you a solid base to make a decision, about what you might like to change or improve ..... I think you are on the right track to make sensible decisions., about your spyder / ryker ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

We are talking RYKER, right?

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dale001 View Post
    I’m adopting this attitude. However, I DID buy the foam grips but won’t do any other mods until riding the new bike (getting it in May) for a few months. Is this a common sense, good philosophy?

I mean, based on what I read, I could get better mirrors, a reverse stick, LED lights, a better seat, brake pedal, a shield, a radiator protector...but is it really necessary until a person actually enjoys the bike, First? I mean which of those mentioned are really necessary? I don’t plan on very long rides or even extended highway rides.

Dale
    Honestly, I would wait a few months.

Why ??

I see a majority of Ryker owners dump their bike and upgrade to something better like an F3 or RT. You just wouldn't want to waste money on needless mods, IMHO.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

I agree it's a good approach. Give it some time and a few miles before loading it up with stuff. Read what others have done to their Rykers and how they feel about their "improvements" and farkles. It's just too easy to go overboard right off the bat (spoiler alert - guilty several times over the years).
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

You are defiantly on the right page in my book!!! A better seat may be your first buy, but only your butt can tell you that!!! The rest is BLING!! If this is your first Canam, you will have a blast, as soon as you get comfortable with it, take it slow and enjoy!!! Good luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yes.The Ryker

Spyder Garage

IMO the best policy is to wait, the bike will tell you what it needs. Then do one at a time, so you can determine the benefits of each mod.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Angry Improvements

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    IMO the best policy is to wait, the bike will tell you what it needs. Then do one at a time, so you can determine the benefits of each mod.
    Yes RICZ, you are right about the bike telling you what to add or change . I believe a sturdy windscreen , and cargo space is a must at purchase . Then I started adding safety features to my ryker 900 sport( 2022) with 200 miles and now I want to ride it .

Spyder Garage

Foam grips, Baja Ron's end links are the best start IMHO. I find the stock mirrors are good. What's wrong with the brake pedal?
    Everything else is fun stuff, except for the gear shift (bad leg).

Spyder Garage

Hey Ziggy. Yeah we humans have physical stuff going on, but I’d be letting myself down by not riding something. I put on a brake light modulator( for visibility,) added a red l e d flashing light to the back of the passenger seat, added two hwyway blaster Horns ), stock horn is pitiful), windscreen, shad bag, Baja Ron sway bar kit. Handlebar end weights ,now I’m ready to ride but the Ryker is at the dealership with them trying to figure out an oil cap not sealing . ( 200 ) miles on the clock!,, Ride safe , brother .

Spyder Garage

. Is this a common sense, good philosophy?
    Great philosophy, but many don't have the ability to stick with it. Many spending what they don't have.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I think this is a smart philosophy for anything you own! I don't know if there were any changes in 2022 but if your getting 2021 or older and plan to ride 2-up either get the 2-up spring installed or get after market rear shock at the very least. If you don't, enjoy your cracked rear fender...ask me how I know! I've since installed an elka stage 4 and rides like a Cadillac 2-up without fear of breaking the replacement fender.
    2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

The brake pedal.....I’ll let you know when I get my bike. Seems excessive to me, but here it is....

B717D855-7352-4965-8007-5B086F88433D.jpg

DAA0C5CF-8ACD-43B3-834E-0746AC313540.jpg
    Last edited by dale001; 04-03-2022 at 09:21 PM.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The brake pedal.....I’ll let you know when I get my bike. Seems excessive to me, but here it is....

B717D855-7352-4965-8007-5B086F88433D.jpg

DAA0C5CF-8ACD-43B3-834E-0746AC313540.jpg
    That was one of my mods on my '18 RTL.

It has actually saved me TWICE because (1) my right foot can easily find it where nanoseconds count, and (2) I can apply even MORE pressure on the pedal, resulting in even shorter braking distances.

In MY opinion, ANYTHING that makes you more visible (LED headlights, additional third brake/marker lights, lighted bumpskid, etc.) is a worthwhile mod because it increases the safety factor.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 04-03-2022 at 09:54 PM. Reason: edit
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

That makes sense. Truth be told, I like the non slip factor and it caters to those of us who don’t have small feet.

To each his own.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The Wait Game

Ryde and enjoy your Ryker.
    Then make a change or two.
    All good Tips have been posted.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

IMO...a very good idea when it comes to mods that will change the way your Spyder performs.

I do like to put on certain "pretties" when I buy, in order to make the Spyder my own. EG: would be running lights, daytime driving lights, maybe a trunk rack.

I leave the seats, shocks, sway bars, different handlebars, foot pegs, grips, etc. for at least a thousand miles.

IMO...a better decision can be made once you get to know the Spyder/Ryker.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Dale
    I agree, ride for a bit then make your decision. I read several times to wait until you have like 500 hours. I don't know if I would wait that long if I was uncomfortable riding it.

Where are you in PA? If you are in the flat areas it may not matter, but in the western part (mountains) I found that the bajaron end links were a big improvement over stock. A little of a PITA but easy to install. Plus bajaron posts on this forum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    I agree, ride for a bit then make your decision. I read several times to wait until you have like 500 hours. I don't know if I would wait that long if I was uncomfortable riding it.

Where are you in PA? If you are in the flat areas it may not matter, but in the western part (mountains) I found that the bajaron end links were a big improvement over stock. A little of a PITA but easy to install. Plus bajaron posts on this forum.
    45 minute drive northwest of Philly, in the suburbs.

Spyder Garage

My wife just shakes her head and says, here we go again another "STARTER KIT"

Spyder Garage

Agree find what you need , then what you want. First thing I did after riding for a bit, was put my money where my I sit. Stock seat did not work painful, and if riding was not fun then why do it. Every thing i'v added so far has really been about ergos of the bike and me.

Spyder Garage

If you're going to get anything first then foam grips and a better horn. You can't go wrong with those two.

Spyder Garage

45 minute drive northwest of Philly, in the suburbs.
    Yeah, you are a flatlander (lol). Not being in philly is good, these bikes arent the most secure things in the world to park and walk away from. I don't know where you would ride, I guess you could head north towards the poconos and ride around all the NY/NJ transplants. I just wouldn't head into amish country. You really have to be mindful of everycurve and intersection, moreso than normal I guess. Before the safety police come to get me, yes look through the curve yada yada, never go too fast into a curve, gotcha, you always have to be aware of your surroundings bingo. I just don't like riding where there are guaranteed hazards in every direction, not as fun. It isn't just the amish buggies, it is the tourists and farm machinery on the road. Besides, one buggy with any traffic and you are doing 15 mph.

For reference my job transfered to the burbs of philly, I commuted from York to there daily (before I transferred back out west and moved). Everything being equal, 76 isn't that bad, just be mindful of the governor's revenue generators parked on the side of the road.

Enjoy the ride, have fun. Maybe someone from that neck of the woods will chime in with a nice ride in that area.