Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    Shawn Smoak in one of his videos says not to use Eco mode. He says he can tell by when someone's used Eco Mode by the nasty condition of the oil during oil changes. He talks about it starting at 7:55 on this video. https://youtu.be/p3Gyqeeq_ec
    Looking at oil when it's changed is just that, looks. One can't tell crap about how the oil performed without analysis. Shawn Smoak's a very knowledgeable guy but sometimes doesn't know when to shut up.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Looking at oil when it's changed is just that, looks. One can't tell crap about how the oil performed without analysis. Shawn Smoak's a very knowledgeable guy but sometimes doesn't know when to shut up.
    Absolutely!

https://youtu.be/p3Gyqeeq_ec ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..................

Spyder Garage

I have found ECO mode to be helpful to use in stop and go traffic and city driving. Other than that I never use it.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    I have kind of a related question. I ride with some other Spyder owners that will drive miles out of their way to make sure they are using 90 octane gas.. I personally have tried both 90 and 87 and do not see one MPG difference. wonder what others think on this?
    BIG F
    My experience and answer see this thread from 4 years ago: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hlight=regular

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Being relatively new to my Spyder bought new last summer, I thought it odd that I need to press the Eco Mode button to start the bike, but I've gotten used to it. For the most part I leave it in Eco Mode and I like seeing the arrow indicating when to upshift for best mpg, even if I ignore it much of the time. But I wonder how much difference it really makes to ride in Eco Mode versus not using this feature. I also own a Mini Cooper S which has a "Green mode" button, which wants you to upshift noticeably sooner than in regular mode, but the actual mpg doesn't seem to change at all, so I wondered if the same was true for the Spyder.
    I hear you !

Think of those magazine reviews comparing 1/4 mile times between the new superbikes.
    The winner can make the run in 0.02 seconds faster.
    If I tried it, I'd lose 2 seconds in miss shifting.
    It's the same with ECO mode.
    There is, on some level, a technical difference in throttle response and torque curve that will give you better gas mileage.
    For a technical rider, you might see the difference.
    On a practical level, I haven't seen much difference at all.
    In fact, keeping an eye out for the little green leaf indicator is distracting and can be a hazard.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. And if I am, I'm sure there will be plenty of people on this site to help point it out my error.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I hear you !

Think of those magazine reviews comparing 1/4 mile times between the new superbikes.
    The winner can make the run in 0.02 seconds faster.
    If I tried it, I'd lose 2 seconds in miss shifting.
    It's the same with ECO mode.
    There is, on some level, a technical difference in throttle response and torque curve that will give you better gas mileage.
    For a technical rider, you might see the difference.
    On a practical level, I haven't seen much difference at all.
    In fact, keeping an eye out for the little green leaf indicator is distracting and can be a hazard.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. And if I am, I'm sure there will be plenty of people on this site to help point it out my error.
    You are not wrong. You are in fact correct. Now we'll both catch it. Didn't want to see you take it all alone.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 04-06-2022 at 11:51 AM.