Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Does Eco mode really make a difference?

Being relatively new to my Spyder bought new last summer, I thought it odd that I need to press the Eco Mode button to start the bike, but I've gotten used to it. For the most part I leave it in Eco Mode and I like seeing the arrow indicating when to upshift for best mpg, even if I ignore it much of the time. But I wonder how much difference it really makes to ride in Eco Mode versus not using this feature. I also own a Mini Cooper S which has a "Green mode" button, which wants you to upshift noticeably sooner than in regular mode, but the actual mpg doesn't seem to change at all, so I wondered if the same was true for the Spyder.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I didn't noticed any difference in fuel mileage on my RT when I was comparing the modes. I no longer use eco mode except maybe in a heavy rain where the softer power delivery may help with traction.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, ECO mode will make a small difference if you use it. You must ride conservatively though. If you ride hard using high RPMs and make quick takeoffs then you won't likely see any difference. Don't be looking at the green arrow too much. It can be a distraction. Learn the feel and sound of your machine and shift according to the feel of the engine and the sound it gives you. It just takes practice.

Spyder Garage

I use eco mode for two occasions: 1.) Rain/wet roads and 2.) On interstate for long distances. Makes a slight difference if you use the shift points. Always in the rain though. ..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

When it first came out, (2014) I believe, I tried it on two tanks of gas. Faithfully shifted when it said to. I figured ECO saved me about 1 mpg. I don't use it on any of the subsequent machines. I shift by sound and feel, not when a computer says I can.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This graph shows what ECO Mode does. It flattens the acceleration curve. IMO it's an unnecessary PITA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Spyder Useless

Haven't used it in years----- Seldom rains in the high desert..........

Lew L.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I never use eco mode. It is only turned in very occasionally and even then, it’s by accident. Personally, I don’t need a computer to tell me when to take it easy. I ALWAYS ride according to CONDITIONS (whether it’s road, weather, highway). That’s the way I learned to drive/ride 70 years ago, and still use it.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Our local Can-Am guy told us that ECO is helpful if you combine it with your cruise control on a long run at interstate speeds.

Haven't tried it yet myself. Your mileage may vary, of course.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Don't forget that selecting ECO Mode also desensitises the throttle input (see the graph JayBros posted above ) so IF you can manage to ryde smoothly & gently, always short shifting & changing gears iaw the green arrows, there's no reason you shouldn't get slightly better gas milage.... but as ARtraveler & others have mentioned, there really isn't all that much in it! .

Besides, it's not actually the 'ECO' button you push before starting - as everyone who's owned an earlier Spyder knows, it's the MODE button that you hafta press before starting . It was only after some marketing guru had the bright idea to add a pretty useless gimmick in order to appease the 'rampant anti-gas use crowd' and they added toggling the ECO function to all the other things that the MODE button does that it scored that extra label so those not in the know can become confused - but it's still the MODE button for everything else!

Altho if you still think that selecting ECO mode is gonna save you heaps of gas, I do have this historic bridge that you might be interested in buying at a heavily discounted price...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    Our local Can-Am guy told us that ECO is helpful if you combine it with your cruise control on a long run at interstate speeds.
    IMO, your local Can-Am guy pegs the BS meter. Since the ECO mode flattens the acceleration curve, at interstate speeds I want full power acceleration -- just in case. Traveling at interstate speeds your fuel consumption is dependent on engine rpm, atmospheric factors plus terrain and road surface conditions, whether ECO mode is used or not. If you use cruise control, it and the ECM are going to keep the engine in the rpm range necessary to maintain the speed you set.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Other than the suggestion of shift points I can detect NO difference between ECO and normal mode. On my Terrain the difference is obvious as with many other vehicles.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    That could hold true if you are on a freeway with a lot of elevation changes.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2022 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Last week I travelled 2k km and I decided to use eco mode cause the rain and cause it was a long travel. So I obtained 5.5 l/100 km un roads at 80/90 km and 5.9 in motorwsys at 120 with long periods of cruiser speed control. I can't say if the quantity is for low speed, eco mode or control speed cruiser but normally the medium consumtion in 6.5/7 l / 100 km.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Eco mode

Eco Mode is not what you feel.
    I have tried it but no real gasoline savings.

I don't use it anymore. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting thread, glad someone asked the question. I ride two up and ECO mode, I'm sure rethinking that.

Spyder Garage

My guess is Eco mode is primarily there so Can-am can meet, or appear to meet, the regulatory requirements of certain countries or states. It gives a 'green credential' that can be used to deflect questions on environmental impact.

Its also something that with modern electronically controlled engines is low cost to include (just a button and a different profile), yet has 'value add' for marketing purposes.

The majority of riders will probably try it out and then never use it again - though interesting the idea of using it in the rain as I suspect it would be useful on gravel as well so will keep it in mind.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 04-04-2022 at 06:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have kind of a related question. I ride with some other Spyder owners that will drive miles out of their way to make sure they are using 90 octane gas.. I personally have tried both 90 and 87 and do not see one MPG difference. wonder what others think on this?
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    That could hold true if you are on a freeway with a lot of elevation changes.
    Stop and think though. If you have ECO mode and cruise control on and on and you come to a long interstate grade, with the acceleration curve flattened it is going to take longer for the Spyder to get back to the speed you set on the CC and you could very easily wind up with some moron on a cell phone running up your backside. The steeper the grade the longer it will take the Spyder to get back up to the CC speed.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    I have kind of a related question. I ride with some other Spyder owners that will drive miles out of their way to make sure they are using 90 octane gas.. I personally have tried both 90 and 87 and do not see one MPG difference. wonder what others think on this?
    BIG F
    On tours out west of NE I have had to use 87 and noticed absolutely no difference in performance or mpg. Matter of fact, this past Sat. I took a different route home from a routine ride and had refuel with 87 (poor planning on my part). Since I track every tank full I will get a local confirmation on non-confirmation of of my touring experience with 87. I think BlueKnight911 uses 87 all the time and has noticed no degradation of performance or mileage.
    Last edited by JayBros; 04-04-2022 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

BIG F
    Your thinking is right on. Any difference is noted only by a few "experts," of which I am NOT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BIG F
    There's a difference though, however slight. I carry a small bottle of octane boost in case I can't locate 91. ECU flash requires 91. It only takes .2 or .4 oz. to bring 87 up to 91. Saves time, money and worry.

Spyder Garage

Shawn Smoak in one of his videos says not to use Eco mode. He says he can tell by when someone's used Eco Mode by the nasty condition of the oil during oil changes. He talks about it starting at 7:55 on this video. https://youtu.be/p3Gyqeeq_ec

As far as fuel type I use 91 in my Mustang GT and in my Vulcan 1700. I use 89 in my Yukon and I will go against the grain by following the Spyder user manual shown below (for now).

In the end, it's like tire types, tire pressures, oil and filter types... what ever works for you.

Fuel Type.png
    Last edited by GFrog; 04-04-2022 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added the for now
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Not fer nuttin but they also recommend all service be done by them and only use BRP oil or Kenda tires. I take that with a grain of salt.
    I worked in Tech suprt my entire career and the USERS knew more about the products than the pencil-necked engineers on how to keep the thing working.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    N my entire career and the USERS knew more about the products than the pencil-necked engineers
    I agree. Lots of folks try various things on their machines and come-up with well researched and tested facts. The more people try the same stuff and come-up with the same results, the more convincing their results become. For example, on this forum, many folks have used the same tires with some excellent results. This is where I'm going to go to select my tires when the time come. An what about that BajaRon bar that the way to go for sure.

For what it's worth, I have been using synthetic oil in all my gas powered vehicles and equipment. I have also used 91 octane in most of my vehicle and equipment also. I can't remember the last decade when I last had a mechanical issue with anything. The plugs in all my vehicles and equipment have always been nice and clean and so have the pistons and valves. hardly ever seen carbon buildup on anything.

I currently don't know anything about Spyders, so I'm counting on all you guys to steer me in the right direction.
    Last edited by GFrog; 04-04-2022 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typos
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE