Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT-L vs F3-L wind protection question

Hard to tell, and there are seemingly no dealers in Colorado except Lakewood which aren't allowing test-rides, so..

The RT-L and F3-L seem to be quite similar, though there are some notable ergonomic differences, in particular the seating position is seemingly lower and more "into" the F3 than the RT's "on top" feel, and the floorboards are more feet-forward in the F3. Less storage in the F3 as well, and no heated seat option except possibly aftermarket.

I found the newer RT line (2020) to already be quite stretched forward and the brake pedal is difficult to reach compared to the 2019. (Not sure how they're trying to promote this bike to women as I'm 5'8" and most women are around 5'2" give-or-take.) I suspect the F3 is further forward?

My main question is the difference in wind resistance between the two? One vid suggests the placement of the side-mirrors are poorly designed and force wind onto the knuckles on the F3.

Opinions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Rt's ride slightly higher and have electronic windshields that can be raised up/down with a button. The F3's ride lower to the ground and hug the road a bit better. I have an added X-creen adjustable shield that really helps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CG43ENI...roduct_details

E6BF503B-C109-4F13-BDBC-9F7FA678886F_1_201_a.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikecronis View Post
    Hard to tell, and there are seemingly no dealers in Colorado except Lakewood which aren't allowing test-rides, so..

The RT-L and F3-L seem to be quite similar, though there are some notable ergonomic differences, in particular the seating position is seemingly lower and more "into" the F3 than the RT's "on top" feel, and the floorboards are more feet-forward in the F3. Less storage in the F3 as well, and no heated seat option except possibly aftermarket.

I found the newer RT line (2020) to already be quite stretched forward and the brake pedal is difficult to reach compared to the 2019. (Not sure how they're trying to promote this bike to women as I'm 5'8" and most women are around 5'2" give-or-take.) I suspect the F3 is further forward?

My main question is the difference in wind resistance between the two? One vid suggests the placement of the side-mirrors are poorly designed and force wind onto the knuckles on the F3.

Opinions?
    Just answering a couple of your concerns, Mikecronis.

Yes, you sit more into the F3 than RT, although the ‘20+ RT had reduced the difference.

You can buy aftermarket floorboard risers and brake pedal risers for the ‘20+ RT. The floor boards are not adjustable forward and back.

The F3 does indeed have a slightly more feet forward position, but it can be adjusted to bring the boards to under the rider for shorter riders and way out in front for taller riders.

Both the F3 and ‘20+ RT have different length handlebars available to suit riders of varying heights.

Storage is pretty similar….they both have a “frunk”, side and trunk storage….but yes, RT holds a little more as it’s frunk is a little deeper and one saddlebag is a little wider.

There are certainly heated seats available on the F3. They were stock on my F3-L, but I did buy mine a few years ago, so that may have changed ? (But I doubt it).

There are quite a few 5’ riders on both models of Spyders.

You are going to get hit by wind on either model, that’s just part of riding and is influenced by your personal build and tolerances, but yes, the RT has better wind protection, including upper and lower deflectors.

Hope this helps.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yup .. The F3's offer the U-Fit system for footpegs/floorboards. A $30 brake linkage bar of shorter/longer length is all it takes to change foot position on the F3's.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's exactly what I suspected! Thank you everyone! I'll have to see if the F3-L 2021-22 has heated seats (I know they have heated grips). Definitely in the market now for one. I owned a 2013 RT-S and RS-S with good enjoyment, though the 2013 RT-S had the smaller Rotax so heat displacement was annoying which has been fixed. I'm an avid Spyder lover and I know there are wonderful aftermarket bits such as Baja-Ron's sway-bar, and how you want those front tires to be very-matching on the PSI, etc.

I believe the F3-L can remove the rear seat for solo-riding, though not sure if there's a cover-plate / fender option..

This forum is awesome!

PS. If anyone wants to sell their F3-S, let me know! Always checking the For Sale area.

Spyder Garage

I bought my RT at Faye Myers in Denver and I think Sun sells them as well. You might want to contact those dealers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikecronis View Post
    I believe the F3-L can remove the rear seat for solo-riding, though not sure if there's a cover-plate / fender option..

This forum is awesome!

PS. If anyone wants to sell their F3-S, let me know! Always checking the For Sale area.
    I have the 2021 F3 Ltd and the trunk is removable but I've yet to see a cover that replaces it for the trunkless look. The seat can be removed but all you get is an open area. The F3 T doesn't come with a trunk. The F3 & F3S a models are the ones that have the Mono seat cowl with no saddlebags or trunk.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Mikecronis,
    I currently have a 2021RTL and also a 2009RS/GS. I have also put several hundred miles on a F3-S and also a test ride on a 2021 F3 Limited...before buying the 2021 RTL.

2021 RTL has great wind protection, stock, for the rider and passenger for both upper and lower body and also for the riders hands. The vented windshield is height adjustable, on the fly and provides a good pocket of quiet, turbulence-free air. The riders hands are also well protected from the wind on the RTL, plus it has heated grips and also the heated seats, both of which are very nice at times. I am six foot tall and find the ergonomics, including the reach to the brake pedal, very good for me.

Just to be sure, I took a test ride on a 2021 F3-Limited before finalizing on the RTL. I grew up on dirt bikes and currently have a pair of older, air cooled Ducati Multistradas (sport tourers)...but no cruisers. I find the sit up, legs down, riding position much more natural and comfortable than the lower seat, legs forward, cruiser ergonomics of the F3 Spyder, but again this is my preference. YMMV. The F3-Limited was also comfortable and likely a bit sportier than the RTL but the wind protection with the stock windshield was significantly less for me than the RTL. Wind blast to my hands was much greater on the F3-Limited as well. The RTL, stock, will provide vastly better wind protection, in my opinion, for a six foot rider than the F3-Limited, stock. I would immediately be looking for a replacement windscreen if I had an F3-Limited, and that wouldn't fix the extra wind blast to the hands from the F3 either. The floorboard and brake pedal position can be adjusted forward or backwards on the F3's as delivered to better fit the rider. Brake pedal is fixed location on the RTL but it works very well for me.

The F3-S I rode was a blast for short, sporty rides. Note it had a large F4 brand, aftermarket windscreen on it, so it had reasonable wind protection...but not nearly as good as the RTL. It was fun to ride but wouldn't be my first choice for long distances. Note the the stock F3-S, with its lower overall gearing (bigger rear sprocket), is quite a bit quicker and more responsive than the RTL or the F3-Limited, but that comes at the expense of a significantly higher cruising engine rpm...Also, the wind protection on a STOCK F3-S is minimal but they are a great for shorter rides or in town. It would be great compliment to the RTL.

Good luck on your choices and also on finding a Spyder that fits your needs, budget, and timeframe in thesecrazy times we find ourselves in.

Spyder Garage

I agree with ks4hcoach. The wind hit me straight in the face with my 2018 F3L. I had to buy a windshield from F4 Customs to be able to enjoy the ride. Plus the F3 windshield is "fixed" so you may be forced to look thru it. I prefer looking slightly above the shield for normal riding. This is easy to accomplish with my 21 RTL.
    There are plenty of aftermarket products to fix the brake issue. There are also adjustments available for the handlebars like a 2 inch riser.
    2021 RT Limited Asphalt Gray
    Halo Skid
    Driver's backrest
    2" riser w/ F3 standard handlebars
    F4 vented 25" windshield

Spyder Garage

The 20+ RT has far more wind protection for head, torso, legs, and hands than the 20+ F3. I take many multi-day trips year-round and hail from the sport-touring world so the legs under are my preferred ergos (and I'm spoiled from having electric screens). If I was a short hop or day cruiser I'd go with the F3.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White