Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How to reduce the loud knock when you put it in first gear?

Just like a Harley and other bikes when I start the 2018 and put it in first gear it makes a heck of a noise. Clank! or Knock! Is there a way to make it more quiet? My oil is fresh by the way.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

You can MINIMISE that clunk by starting the engine & letting it warm up a little longer before trying to select a gear, but apart from that, you just hafta get used to the clunk!

It's the nature of the beast, and it won't hurt anything, so learn to love it! Basically, it happens to some degree on every machine with a constant mesh transmission & a wet clutch - it's simply because when you start the engine in Neutral, the driveline downstream of the clutch isn't yet turning, so when you go to select either First or Reverse, the gearbox hasta pick up & start spinning a bunch of extra components, and that is what causes the clunk! From there on in, the whole lot is already spinning so there should be no clunk on any other gear change - at least, not until you stop it & put it in Neutral again!

The clutch/gearbox is designed to handle this - in fact, early in the piece (2012 maybe?! anyone have a firm date?? ) the clutch plates were upgraded to reduce the chance of any damage occurring even more.... and that did tend to make the clunk a little more obvious. But, they all have it, it's part of the mechanical design & nature of these types of clutch/trans arrangements,
    and it's not hurting anything. You can minimise it by warming the oil up a bit longer, but apart from that,
    Learn to Love it as part of the Experience!

Aaand then you can just..... Ride More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You can MINIMISE that clunk by starting the engine & letting it warm up a little longer before trying to select a gear, but apart from that, you just hafta get used to the clunk!

It's the nature of the beast, and it won't hurt anything, so learn to love it! Basically, it happens to some degree on every machine with a constant mesh transmission & a wet clutch - it's simply because when you start the engine in Neutral, the driveline downstream of the clutch isn't yet turning, so when you go to select either First or Reverse, the gearbox hasta pick up & start spinning a bunch of extra components, and that is what causes the clunk! From there on in, the whole lot is already spinning so there should be no clunk on any other gear change - at least, not until you stop it & put it in Neutral again!

The clutch/gearbox is designed to handle this - in fact, early in the piece (2012 maybe?! anyone have a firm date?? ) the clutch plates were upgraded to reduce the chance of any damage occurring even more.... and that did tend to make the clunk a little more obvious. But, they all have it, it's part of the mechanical design & nature of these types of clutch/trans arrangements,
    and it's not hurting anything. You can minimise it by warming the oil up a bit longer, but apart from that,
    Learn to Love it as part of the Experience!

Aaand then you can just..... Ride More, Worry Less!
    .... I only use a FULL syn oil .... the thing I do to lessen the " clunk " is after staring the engine, I wait untill the " Idling " revs get down to 900 rpm's ..... This does not eliminate the Clunk, but does quiet it.

Spyder Garage

Good explanation Pete.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Good explanation Pete.
    Shhhhhhhh, Greg…..don’t say that…..you’ll give him a swelled head

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The topic of the standard "clunk" of a constant mesh transmission should be added to the Do's and Do Nots sticky.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you shift into first or reverse just at the right moment after startup, there will be no clank or clunk. It takes practice but it can be done. I installed stage 2 and if I follow that same procedure I have to check the dash light to confirm it's in gear. It shifts so quietly and smoothly it's dam scarry. So to answer your question, Yes, there is a way.

Spyder Garage

My F3s on start-up, is not giving a clunk, but it's more noticeable, when the machine is fully warmed up, as said above, the wet clutch is designed to work that way, no harm can be done to the gears...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Clunk?

..This is a known problem and is going to be there.
    Have Clunk and just enjoy your Ryde Time. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Clutch and oil . You may get it not sounds as bad but will always be there.

On the Harleys primary chain adjustment , tension and clutch adjustment had to be right on. Along with there Compensator.

I have read some have rocked there Spyder to cut down on the knock when shifting.

I would just drive and worry less in this case.

Spyder Garage

Ok fellows, thanks for the encouragement ! I'll take your advice and ride more.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    If you shift into first or reverse just at the right moment after startup, there will be no clank or clunk. It takes practice but it can be done. I installed stage 2 and if I follow that same procedure I have to check the dash light to confirm it's in gear. It shifts so quietly and smoothly it's dam scarry. So to answer your question, Yes, there is a way.
    Can you elaborate on what is the "right moment"? Always interested in trying something new. thanks.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Can you elaborate on what is the "right moment"? Always interested in trying something new. thanks.
    Yes. There is a split second just after the starter disengages and the engine begins to pick up RPMs when the system will allow the transmission to be shifted into gear. It takes a bit of practice to catch that sweet spot, but when you find that spot you'll be amazed at just how smooth it engages. No clunk or clank. It would greatly behoove anyone interested to do a bit of research on the spyder's transmission to understand how and why the clunk is there. Understanding it and why there's no damage being done will ease a lot of concerns. Good luck and thanks for asking. (By the way, this procedure is only for the SE6.)
    Last edited by 2dogs; 04-02-2022 at 12:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes. There is a split second just after the starter disengages and the engine begins to pick up RPMs when the system will allow the transmission to be shifted into gear. It takes a bit of practice to catch that sweet spot, but when you find that spot you'll be amazed at just how smooth it engages. No clunk or clank. It would greatly behoove anyone interested to do a bit of research on the spyder's transmission to understand how and why the clunk is there. Understanding it and why there's no damage being done will ease a lot of concerns. Good luck and thanks for asking. (By the way, this procedure is only for the SE6.)
    Thanks ..... I'm going to try this method .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Himmm. Give that a go.
    Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks ..... I'm going to try this method .....Mike
    I tried twice and had no luck.
    I guess I'll just get myself a new business card:
    Have Clunk
    Will Travel
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I found that by putting my earplugs in before engaging the 1st time after starting, the clunk is greatly reduced.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

2Dogs: thanks for feedback. Been trying to fig this out on mine and have found a procedure that worked consequently the last five times it was started on today's ride.

Upon stopping I leave it in 1st gear (not sure this has to do with anything; just the way I did it today). Upon cranking, have your thumb on the shifter and the instant it starts, hit the shifter. Don't wait for the panel to light up. When panel lights up I find that I am in 1st gear, no clunk occurred, and can then shift to reverse, if desired, again, without a clunk.

This situation of no clunking has happened on and off throughout the summer and it was only today that i was able to repeat it the last several times I stopped and started on the way home.

Not sure when I'll get to try it again since the forcast now calls for really cold and who knows when a warm day with come again. Can't wait to see if its works.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I tried twice and had no luck.
    I guess I'll just get myself a new business card:
    Have Clunk
    Will Travel
    I also tried " 2dogs " method..... I had no luck mastering that technique ..... so I'll go back to what works for me ..... just wait until the REVS are low ( 800-850) very little Clunk ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

ulflyer - your method is similar to what I used to do in my old Harley days. Had my foot on the shifter and put it into 1st gear while the engine was still cranking on the starter.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    2Dogs: thanks for feedback. Been trying to fig this out on mine and have found a procedure that worked consequently the last five times it was started on today's ride.

Upon stopping I leave it in 1st gear (not sure this has to do with anything; just the way I did it today). Upon cranking, have your thumb on the shifter and the instant it starts, hit the shifter. Don't wait for the panel to light up. When panel lights up I find that I am in 1st gear, no clunk occurred, and can then shift to reverse, if desired, again, without a clunk.

This situation of no clunking has happened on and off throughout the summer and it was only today that i was able to repeat it the last several times I stopped and started on the way home.

Not sure when I'll get to try it again since the forcast now calls for really cold and who knows when a warm day with come again. Can't wait to see if its works.
    It takes a few times of missing it to find it. I'm going to play around with your method to see if I can get it to work. It just might be better than the way I'm doing it. We've got 14" of white stuff on the ground here now so it will be a while until I start it again.

Spyder Garage

It's not a problem... So I ignore it. I've had a lot of constant mesh transmission machines over the years. Every one of them did it. It's like the sun coming up in the morning. You may like it. You may not. But it's best to learn to live with it because you aren't going to stop it. There are many more important things to expend your aggravation on!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's just a little competition between me and the tranny and nothing more. Sometimes I win and sometimes the tranny wins.

Spyder Garage

It's just a little competition between me and the tranny and nothing more. Sometimes I win and sometimes the tranny wins.
    I figure if I can get it to run. It's going to be fun! It may clunk. But it's not junk! You may laugh as I go by. But I'll be having too much fun to care as to why!

In short... It's All Good!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I don't know what is worse-the clunk into R and/or 1st OR the clunk of my knees. I know this doesn't help, but a little humor may go a long way. Almost every ride I had has done this. Start it, ride it and enjoy life as life itself is wayyyyy to short.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6