Spyder Garage

Default Fast track Ontario Motorcycle Licence for any valid G licence holder

Hi,

I am looking to confirm that the MTO in Ontario is now fully aligned with Quebec with regards to 3 wheeled motorcycle licences. I found under MTO Reg. 340/94: DRIVERS' LICENCES that if an individual has a valid Class G Ontario licence and they take the M1 exit test by way of attending an approved MTO Spyder course that they can get a full M licence with the M endorsement immediately (MM) if they choose to do so.

Thanks
    Dave
    2019 RT LIMITED , Intstalled Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Did you ever find this out Dave? I'm in the same boat - it was actually listed on the MTO site but seems to have been removed. I'm on my M2(M) now and have a couple of years left on it but find that it's impossible to get a road test so I was going to re-take the course....

Can't find any info about this anywhere though....

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guppy View Post
    Did you ever find this out Dave? I'm in the same boat - it was actually listed on the MTO site but seems to have been removed. I'm on my M2(M) now and have a couple of years left on it but find that it's impossible to get a road test so I was going to re-take the course....

Can't find any info about this anywhere though....
    Can you not phone the office and ask?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Ah, I phoned MTO - they have no idea (which is bizarre). I also called the SpyderCourse folks in Ottawa who told me that they haven't been sent any guidance on what a syllabus would look like.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guppy View Post
    Ah, I phoned MTO - they have no idea (which is bizarre). I also called the SpyderCourse folks in Ottawa who told me that they haven't been sent any guidance on what a syllabus would look like.
    i’m thinking (if Ontario is anything like B.C.) that the answer is NO. Either place that you have called would have a very definite answer if it were in the affirmative. jmho, you can tell me if I’m wrong.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Yeah...what I think happened was:

This was the PROPOSAL: https://www.ontariocanada.com/regist...27&language=en
    Govt assumed it would be done so updated other areas of the web site
    Proposal wasn't accepted
    Govt removed changes from the website
    We're back to regular licensing in Ontario (which is a shame, the Quebec way makes wayyyyyyy more sense)

Spyder Garage

Sorry for delay,

I manged to talk to MTO and they said if you have a "FULL G" then when you take the M1 Spyder exit course and pass then you will be given a "M class" with an "M condition" as it makes no sense to get an M2 as it the same as G2 and that gives you restrictions on driving a car that will conflict with your "G Class".

I am taking the M1 exit course next week and will let you know next Friday when i visit a "Drive Test" office if the honour the new legislation as I have posted below

O. Reg. 305_20_ DRIVERS' LICENCES.jpg
    Last edited by luminavanman; 06-05-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

I just ended up taking the full M road test on my Ryker and got an M(M) license. The licensing on these in Ontario is just whacked.

Spyder Garage

Congrats and I agree, MTO is so confused and don't know their own legislation that they passed. I will post next week if i am granted a M(M) after my Spyder course and a local visit.

Spyder Garage

I have found the regs on the Ontario public site with regards to GLS exemption. I will bring these regs with me when I pass my course and go to Drive Test.

Wish me luck
    GLS exemption.jpg

Spyder Garage

Well,

I passed my Spyder course and I went to the Drive test for the the licence upgrade. I spent 3 hrs there and in the end they gave me an M2M even though I had paperwork from the province to say otherwise. They said I was correct and the law was changed back in 2020, however there is no signing authority on the approved Spyder course that would exempt holders of other licences classes to get a M1 -M(M) directly. I hope that when they approve the course we are grandfathered in.

Spyder Garage

Classic Ontario Government! Well, I don't feel bad about going and doing the test now. FWIW, if you do need to go take the full M test (with M restriction), these are some notes I sent to a friend about the test:

Google map of the route:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...Iy&usp=sharing

I've put some ? icons in the map (in red) with some notes in each of them (click on it) of things to watch. Here's my general tips:

When you get to the drive test center, M tests do NOT register at the kiosk. Go right to booth A and the person there will hook you up. You will need your license AND your license plate number (do not need ownership). I got there 30 mins early (it was VERY busy) but was processed quickly. After registering, you'll be sent to get your bike and go around back right by the back fence to wait for examiner (you'll see diagonal bike lines here). Chill while you wait.

The examiner and a driver will come and give you an earbud and tell you some instructions - including what to do with the concrete median that separates Walkley (you can stop in it if you need to).

I've put a bunch of notes in the google maps but here's the main ones:

You need to be checking mirrors around every 10 seconds
    Shoulder check when changing lanes or starting from a stop
    Scan EVERY intersection or drive you pass. They want to see your helmet move
    When you pull out into a 2 lane road (ie. turning left from the drive center or left onto Hunt Club, turn into the outside lane BUT then signal and move over to the inside fairly quickly (I lost marks for not moving over quick enough)
    Signal fairly early when merging onto the highway (I lost a mark here)

When doing the residential part, they will ask you to pull over when it's safe. They wanna see signal, shoulder check, turn off the bike, use 4 ways (if bike has 'em), kick stand down, dismount and go stand on the kerb. Reverse when told you can pull away.

This reddit post was ABSOLOUTE GOLD for me. I've recounted most of it above here and given you a map but this is worth a read still

https://www.reddit.com/r/rideottawa/...ad_test_route/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-06-2022 at 09:15 PM. Reason: ...get your back.... ??? bike ;-)

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Thanks for that valuable information. I have to wait another 17 months, lol before I can take my M(M). Maybe by then the will have an answer to the graduated licence exemption for A-G class holders by then

Spyder Garage

Hi,

I see that they have updated the DRIVETEST site.

Looks like they have approved an accelerated course. I will call MTO to see, if the course I took at Fanshawe college is part of the approval

https://drivetest.ca/licences/driver...s-motorcycles/

Thanks
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave (@luminavan).
    Hope you are well.

I am in the same boat currently.
    I am a full G licensed driver. I wrote the M1 and days later completed the CanAm Course. Someone at the course referenced the possibility of being able to bypass M2M and go straight to MM. I only had a chance to read about it today on both Ontario’s and DriveTest’s websites. Before I go out to start the battle of what will they give me, I just wanted to check in to see if you have had any success on moving up to MM without having to do an additional test?