Spyder Garage

Default Who uses Car oil in ROTAX? Any problems?

Guys tell me who pours car oil into the rotax? How does the clutch behave? Have you noticed the difference with motorcycle oil? What brand do you use?

Maybe there was already a topic, throw a link, I won't find it in English myself.
    We are Russians, God be with us!

Spyder Garage

I am sorry. DO NOT USE Anything but a JASO MA2 rated wet clutch oil in the Spyder. You will be very sorry if you do not. The Ryker, not having a wet clutch, is a different story. Apples and Oranges. And I apologize for not paying attention here.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-29-2022 at 08:01 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Vladi, given that the 2008 Spyder you run does have a wet clutch, it's probably not a great idea to use plain car oil in it!! If you do, you will be risking clutch issues & potentially failure, which is something those running the same oil in Ryker's don't need to worry about since their 'clutch' doesn't run in the engine oil! There are at least a few threads here on the Forum where owners have used an oil that's either less suitable or not suitable for wet clutches and as a result they've had clutch issues &/or failure. If they're lucky enough to identify the start of these issues in time, there's a chance they'll save their clutch simply by replacing the oil with an appropriately rated motorcycle oil designed for wet clutches; but if not.... it could mean a pretty expensive fix!

Basically, if you run a Spyder, you shouldn't use normal car oil or you will eventually destroy the clutch, but if you run a Ryker, you might want to do your research & maybe you might want to consider it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2022 at 04:35 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VLADI View Post
    Guys tell me who pours car oil into the rotax? How does the clutch behave? Have you noticed the difference with motorcycle oil? What brand do you use?

Maybe there was already a topic, throw a link, I won't find it in English myself.
    Vladi, ... Oil labeling can get very confusing .... I use Rotella T-6 ( may not be available in Russia ) ... It is labeled as " Heavy Duty Diesel Oil " .... My Spyder definitely does NOT have a Diesel engine ... However, in the fine print it is Excellent for WET clutches ( JASO II rated )...which the Spyder does have....;. the fine print is what matters ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2022 at 07:09 PM. Reason: p[rint ios = print is ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the answers. Apparently it will not be possible to save money, you will have to pour for a wet clutch. We still have SHELL (leaving our market), but rutella is a product for the USA (even sold in gallons), you can buy it through gray dealers, but the price is twice as high as MOTUL, which I usually pour. Is $35 for 4 liters of oil expensive? That year it was $19.

Spyder Garage

In the US yes that would be very high, I don't know about where you live. Are you using Motul now? If so I would stay with that as it is a very good oil. It's too bad you don't have a cheaper alternative.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

And how much does a MOTUL canister cost in the USA?

Spyder Garage

$15.00 to $17.00/quart Which I think is expensive.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ran Castrol Dino in all my Goldwings. I ran Castrol Motorcycle oil in my ST. I currently run what comes in the XPS kit as it's easy to get it all I need in one kit rather than buy everything separately. If I couldn't get the kit then I'd run Castrol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red