Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default where do you jack the Spyder Up ?

I have been a Mechanic all my life , and jacked up everything from a VW Bug to an 80,000 lb. gross Kenworth & Trailer ... But... nothing like my Spyder . I planned to put new tires on mine today , but ... I have already ran into a couple of problems...LOL... first , it has a Trailer Hitch on it , and the bold heads , ( Star Drivers ) so close to the rear brake disk that I have MADE a tool just to get that off... but.. I have been under this , and no good place do I see to Jack this up . BUT I sure are getting the Idea Why a Spyder Shop Charges so much to do just a Simple Job.... because , I have not seen a Simple Job on here yet....LOL..LOL ... anyone have any idea's on this ??
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

The frame runs down the center of the bike. Use a floor jack placed toward the front or rear of it as needed and jack it up.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

If you look at my photo albums I've got a few pictures of where I jack mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bensonoid; 03-29-2022 at 05:33 PM.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Thanks , I was laying on the ground , and saw the Shock Mount , and the Exhaust was in front of that , but , I will hunt the Frame... thank you again .
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no need to remove star head bolts just remove the long bolt going thru the center of axle then pull hitch straight back off swing arm

Spyder Garage

And..... Your trailer hitch comes off with just ONE bolt that runs through the rear axle. No need for any "special" tool. Just take the cotter pin out, take the nut off, slide the bolt out of the axle, & pull the hitch assembly off from the rear. You may have to wiggle it back and forth a little while pulling it off. It takes all of about 2 minutes to remove your hitch..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    Thanks , I was laying on the ground , and saw the Shock Mount , and the Exhaust was in front of that , but , I will hunt the Frame... thank you again .
    You see the bare frame at .... cheapcycleparts.com ..... find your Spyder ( yr & model ) .... then find the correct 'Fiche that shows the frame ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2022 at 09:53 PM. Reason: ., & ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

really canam is that not what i just posted right before you 8 minutes before

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    really canam is that not what i just posted right before you 8 minutes before
    Fatboy, that is a very harsh call. There were only 8 minutes between your posts. It is very likely that CanAm was creating his post before yours was even up. ……besides, it never hurts to have more than one description of how to tackle a task as it may answer a question that wasn’t covered in the first reply

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Sledge, lie on the floor just behind the front wheels and look under the Spyder. Running down the centre of the underbelly you will see a flat bar about 3” wide and 2’ long running from front to back…. that’s the frame bar people are taking about …. you really can’t miss it. Place your jack toward the front of the bar for working on the front, and toward the back of the bar for working on the rear.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2022 at 09:54 PM. Reason: ' .
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

You might be better off to jack each corner up as you go, and use jack stands as you go. Jacking up the whole bike can be a little sketchy if you're gonna be cranking on tight stuff like lug nuts. I would put the front on stands and then use the jack for the rear wheel, and a third stand of you have one. Then you know it won't wobble off and fall on you.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

thank you so much for the address and the help. this is such a great site. thank you again.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    You might be better off to jack each corner up as you go, and use jack stands as you go. Jacking up the whole bike can be a little sketchy if you're gonna be cranking on tight stuff like lug nuts. I would put the front on stands and then use the jack for the rear wheel, and a third stand of you have one. Then you know it won't wobble off and fall on you.
    Yes…..absolutely, Mazo. I always break lug nuts, axle nuts etc loose before I jack the Spyder up. It is definitely a concern with tipping if you don’t use jack stands as early in the lifting process as possible

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

thank you for the Photo's Bensonoid .. I'm an Old Guy , and I get a lot more from a Picture than a page full of words and writing . I guess its an Old Age Thing... but anyway. thank you so much.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

thank you for the Photo's Bensonoid .. I'm an Old Guy , and I get a lot more from a Picture than a page full of words and writing . I guess its an Old Age Thing... but anyway. thank you so much.
    AND...as is said,
    1 picture is worth a thousand words.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Safety First

....What ever you do, be careful and make your day successful.
    Remember to use jack stands or proper blocking.

All good tips on jacking your Spyder......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
    AND...as is said,
    1 picture is worth a thousand words.
    Yes indeed Briorick, but the pain and suffering of getting down on the old, worn out knees to get underneath to take a photo, along with the danger to those within 20 metres of me while I lever myself up, unfortunately outweighs my desire to make the task easier by posting a photo

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

well..... thanks everyone , i got the rear wheel off.. took it to a tire shop , and had the tires changed . come back home and put the wheel back on , the only thing I still have to do tomorrow is put the brakes back on the rear wheel . .. THEN , in a few days after this Old Man gets some rest , it will be the 2 front wheels , But . I think they will be nothing compaired to the Rear Wheel. .. at least I Think so... thanks again everyone.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well..... thanks everyone , i got the rear wheel off.. took it to a tire shop , and had the tires changed . come back home and put the wheel back on , the only thing I still have to do tomorrow is put the brakes back on the rear wheel . .. THEN , in a few days after this Old Man gets some rest , it will be the 2 front wheels , But . I think they will be nothing compaired to the Rear Wheel. .. at least I Think so... thanks again everyone.
    For heavens sake "Don't Croak", your over half way done! Your tiring me out just reading this post!
    ........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Just remember to push and turn on that brake piston when it comes time to compress it into the caliper.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If you google "can am spyder rt - how to replace all brake pads in 7 minutes" is pretty good. If using a motorcycle lift, Pierre, at Spyder Accessories, has a good video showing how to lift a rt while promoting/using Pitbull Motorcycle lifts.

Spyder Garage

Be careful lifting that front and use jack stands or two jacks if you are taking both tires off at the same time, if you jack the front up from the frame and don't put jack stands under both sides it will tip when you take the wheel off because it will not be balanced. Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Be careful lifting that front and use jack stands or two jacks if you are taking both tires off at the same time, if you jack the front up from the frame and don't put jack stands under both sides it will tip when you take the wheel off because it will not be balanced. Good luck!!
    I have not looked under there yet, but I am going to check my front spring adjustment. Where to put jack stands if jacking from the center? Pictures are encouraged.

Great forum, thanks in advance.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I have not looked under there yet, but I am going to check my front spring adjustment. Where to put jack stands if jacking from the center? Pictures are encouraged.

Great forum, thanks in advance.
    Use some wood blocking under the rear shock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    Use some wood blocking under the rear shock.
    Thanks for the Pictures .. I saved them , for the next time maybe
    2011 RTS Spyder