Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is this likely to be Thermostat &/or Water pump?

Got the RT out of storage and had it idling for a while hear the fans kick in didn't think nothing of it. Went to shut the bike off a few mins later and the temp gage was in the red. No heat coming from the rad fans.....radiators cold!! It the thermostat stuck shut? Or is the water pump not pumping water?
    I did a quick search here and it appears to be an all in one unit......correct? Also heard it's a pain to replace. Although I typically repair my own bike I think I'll take it to the dealer since I bought the extended warranty.....hopefully the water pump is covered!

Any thoughts? am I on the right track?
    PW
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did you check the coolant level? Maybe for some strange reason all the coolant leaked out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

All is good with coolant level.
    The bike only has 11K on it........and now it appears the thermostat and or water pump is out!!
    Good thing this happened at home and not out on the hwy, or worse yet on vaca.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

Same thing happened on my 2014 RTL. It is not an inexpensive fix. Take it to your dealer. You'll be glad you have warranty coverage when you see the cost to fix...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thermostat is built into the waterpump. Both are replaced as one unit. It’s a PIA to do it yourself. Glad you have the extended warrantee.
    A buddy had his thermostat go out 200 miles from home. It was a long tow home.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I'll call the dealer in the AM and make sure it's covered.....I sure hope it is.
    Now I have to figure out how to get it to the dealer 100 miles away.

PW
    Last edited by P.W.; 03-28-2022 at 07:50 PM.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

Also good idea check if radiator may need washing. Fluid good so should not be any white froth on dip stick, hopefully however also chance of head gasket problems-notice any issues with throttle or backfires?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy This is not right

PW -- 2019 is 3 years old with 10K miles. The BRP coolant is long-life (5 years or 28K miles). Something is wrong here. Your water pump/thermostat should not have failed.

But I'm going to stop here and wait for you to confirm your extended warranty situation.

This is not right.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    PW -- 2019 is 3 years old with 10K miles. The BRP coolant is long-life (5 years or 28K miles). Something is wrong here. Your water pump/thermostat should not have failed.

But I'm going to stop here and wait for you to confirm your extended warranty situation.

This is not right.
    Bert,
    I would agree that the thermostat / water pump should not have went out at 10k miles......but it appears to have. I've read a few threads here with the same similar problem.
    I actually think it the thermostat not opening up. With the engine at temp. the fans were running, but no hot air coming from radiators........Radiators ice cold
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

I had a similar situation. Look at the front right swingarm and see if there is a large brownish stain on it. If so your overflow tank has a crack in it.Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Thermostat is built into the waterpump. Both are replaced as one unit. It’s a PIA to do it yourself. Glad you have the extended warrantee.
    A buddy had his thermostat go out 200 miles from home. It was a long tow home.
    Yes it was Dave, Thanks again to you and Angela for sticking with me when all the others left.

P.W.
    Hope it's something simple or at least the warentee covers this expensive repair. Thermostat in my Magnum lasted 16 YEARS but was in 2 pieces and stuck open when replaced. The Spyder's lasted 7 years and was in 2 pieces ( one of them blocking a coolant passageway).

Good luck, Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Just got off the phone with the dealer .....said it should be covered under the extended warranty we purchased.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

I would take it for a ride around the block a couple times or down the road a couple miles and come back before it can overheat so you don't get stranded. If it was working fine when you last rode it, then stored it and just let it idle when you started it back up you might need to ride it to "shake the bugs out of it".
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

That's what's odd...I started if a few times this winter and I "always" to watch the temp gauge make sure heat comes out of the radiators when the fans kick on.
    But yesterday the fans turned on and no heat came out from the radiators ....ice cold.
    Now I don't trust it....
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

Get a load of this!
    So, come home today after work and start it up and let it run for an HOUR and the fans turned on and off and hot air came out of the radiators perfectly.....no over heating at all.
    So I turn the bike off thinking it somehow fixed itself! After a couple mins I started it back up and the fans turned back on.....all is good right? NOPE!! This time no heat at all from the radiator fans and the hi engine temp appeared on the cluster quickly!

So I believe the problem is that the thermostat is not working correctly. My question is.....Does the thermostat open mechanically (from heat) or electronically from the ecm?
    Either way, I'm off to the dealer Sat. morning. Just want to have my guns loaded with info when I get to the dealer so that they don't blow smoke up my ash.

Thanks in advance!!
    PW
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    ....... So I believe the problem is that the thermostat is not working correctly. My question is.....Does the thermostat open mechanically (from heat) or electronically from the ecm?

PW
    Mechanically (from heat)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2022 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a sticky thermostat. But double check the fluid level as that is really hard to see in the tank.

Spyder Garage

Another question......is the water pump gear driven or electric? Just curious....
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

Thermostat is heat activated. Sounds like it is sticking occasionally or partially. Could be caused by casting residue floating around in your cooling system. It happens..... Make sure your system gets a good flush when changing the parts..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Jim,
    Thanks for the heads up!

PW
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its not electric

Spyder Garage

Thank you!
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Thermostat is heat activated. Sounds like it is sticking occasionally or partially. Could be caused by casting residue floating around in your cooling system. It happens..... Make sure your system gets a good flush when changing the parts..... Jim
    " residue floating in the cooling system " ..... I think my 14 RT is living a Charmed Life .... 66,000 mi. on orig. coolant .... maybe I'll change it before this season starts ..... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    Another question......is the water pump gear driven or electric? Just curious....
    Gear driven. Go to https://epc.brp.com and look at the parts diagram for engine cooling for your year and model of Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

FYI 998 at 70k miles (NO warranty)what happened to mine. DIY the thermostat only to still have problem -The water pump impeller broke and jammed in the housing causing the water pump drive gear to break.

DDE3B654-FF6B-42ED-87CF-9DD6DE054C12.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2022 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights