Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer service calls for new rear tire & brake pads - does this sound right?

I have a 2017 F3 limited that I just sent in for it's yearly service. I am the 2nd owner of the Spyder, I bought in August of 2020 with 3000 miles on it. I have 8000 on it now and they are telling me I need to replace the rear tire. Does that seem right?

They also said the break pads are at half the life and they are usually replaced at the sametime as the tire. If I do not do the breaks now then I will need to do them in another 3k miles or so.

Also he will only put kenda tire on that is all he has. I am thinking of putting car tires on based on what I read here on the forums but they will not do that.

Just curious what other people think, is it possible for tire to be worn out at 8k miles? I did not take a good look at the tire before I dropped it off.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe I'd be getting a second opinion if I were you and yes, you can burn off a kenda in 8k or less.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tec35 View Post
    I have a 2017 F3 limited that I just sent in for it's yearly service. I am the 2nd owner of the Spyder, I bought in August of 2020 with 3000 miles on it. I have 8000 on it now and they are telling me I need to replace the rear tire. Does that seem right?

They also said the break pads are at half the life and they are usually replaced at the sametime as the tire. If I do not do the breaks now then I will need to do them in another 3k miles or so.

Also he will only put kenda tire on that is all he has. I am thinking of putting car tires on based on what I read here on the forums but they will not do that.

Just curious what other people think, is it possible for tire to be worn out at 8k miles? I did not take a good look at the tire before I dropped it off.
    Have you ever heard of the word " Hooey " ..... I agree Kenda tires ( which are crap ) used on the REAR have an extremely short life span .... But they are Waaaaaaaaay off for the brake Pads ..... JMHO ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

8K on a rear tire is a "usual" thing for some. I usually get 15K out of mine...and I have replaced over 5 rear tires since my Spyder experience began.

How far they go is up to you. Same on the brakes.

I have mostly used Kenda's. Have used car tires only twice. The jury is out for me. One car tire Spyder was traded after one year. Last year, I had K9's put on my 2019 with 13K (tire was good for another 3-5K, but I service once a year)...7K on the new rear and still looks like new.

20K on that same Spyder and have done nothing with the brake pads yet.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-28-2022 at 12:58 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Not quite, Mike, my brakepads, the o.e.m.'s were gone at 9500 km's, and I mean close to iron gone, Rear tyre was also gone at the same mileage, I now run EBC pads, the rotors were good, I just think i''ve had a bad bunch of bad pads..

The fronts and the rear were shot, but I lay heavily on the brakes, maybe previous owner did same thing
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Note: mileage on tires and life of brake pads will be all over the place. Take into consideration, driving style, and many different temperature and road conditions. You get EVERYTHING on this site. Therefore, many, many different takes on some subjects.

There is no right or wrong...experiences will vary across the aboard.

My numbers are much different than some. I have had Seven assorted Spyders since they first came out in 2008. 4 998's and three 1330's. Almost 200,000 Spyder miles since them. Still an owner.

My numbers and observations cover all seven Spyders. Tire mileage, for me, pretty much the same across the board. Gas mileage, pretty much the same except for differences from the 998 to the 1330. Ten more miles per gallon on the 1330's.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-28-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first rear (Kenda) tire was changed at 7k second rear OEM tire was changed at 25k and replaced with a (General Altimax). Now, at 52K and still on the Altimax. Altimax has about another 3/4k to go. Rear OEM brake pads were replaced at 25k and front OEM pads were replaced at 33k, both replacement sets still going good. Bought all the pads from Baja Ron. Front OEM tires were replaced at 25k with Federal Formoza and hardly show any signs of wear at 52k. My MPG lived in the high 30's and lower 40's. I ride conservatively most of the time but press the corners from time to time just to exercise my skills. Recently acquired a stage 2 so MPG is all over the place right now. Started out in the low 30's and recently recorded mid 40's. Don't know where it's going to settle down and become the average.

Spyder Garage

If those are the original tires installed in 2017, it might be worth replacing them based on age as much as mileage. But I come from a trailer tire perspective that gets a little little nervous traveling long distances with five year old tires. I know, I know, we're not talking about trailer tires here...but I got stories!

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Thank you to everyone who answered all of it is good advice. I get the Spyder back tomorrow and will have to look at the tire. I am going to try to change breaks on my own when they need to be done. As for tire I am leaning towards a car tire but I have further research to do.
    Last edited by Tec35; 03-28-2022 at 05:23 PM.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Here’s a good tire to consider. There are two sizes that will work on the front and two sizes that will work on the rear.
    Very good handling characteristics!
    Also consider site sponsor BahaRon for your brake needs.
    You will need his caliber return tool for the rear caliper which has to be rotated back to accommodate the new pads.
    All calibers need to be inspected for rust and brake dust deposits which can cause them stick and wear your pads prematurely.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...artnum=66HR5QT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=755TR5QT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...artnum=06VR6QT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=065HR5QT

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    If those are the original tires installed in 2017, it might be worth replacing them based on age as much as mileage. But I come from a trailer tire perspective that gets a little little nervous traveling long distances with five year old tires. I know, I know, we're not talking about trailer tires here...but I got stories!
    You do realize that " trailer tires " generally speaking are either 8" or 12" wheels .... this means they may be travelling 3 X's as much per mile than an Auto tire ..... I think that's why they wear out faster ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    Here’s a good tire to consider. There are two sizes that will work on the front and two sizes that will work on the rear.
    Very good handling characteristics!
    Also consider site sponsor BahaRon for your brake needs.
    You will need his caliber return tool for the rear caliper which has to be rotated back to accommodate the new pads.
    All calibers need to be inspected for rust and brake dust deposits which can cause them stick and wear your pads prematurely.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...artnum=66HR5QT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=755TR5QT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...artnum=06VR6QT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=065HR5QT
    X's 10 ..... The quatrac tire is probably the best tire made today for any Spyder ( Michelien Cross Climate may be another ) ..... Mike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ron was out of brake pads on his site when I went to order some on Saturday, had to get them from Lamonster as he has them in stock.

Got an email today and they will be here Wed. just in time for me to change them before the DMV Spyder Ryders meetup this weekend.

We are headed to Point Lookout to the Ale House for lunch. First group ride for my wife.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 03-28-2022 at 11:37 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink Search is your friend

Tec35 -- while the front brake pads are easy to change, the rear brake pads aren't. The one-way ratcheting of the parking brake operation means you have to use a Spyder specific tool to retract the piston.

Step 1. Buy the tool from BajaRon.

Step 2. Search the forum for lessons-learned on rear brake pad replacement. If you only read three posts, you've only read 20% of what you need to read. Because if you screw up the piston retraction you will be buying a new rear brake assembly. Reading posts is cheap; brake assemblies ain't.

Step 3. Make sure you have all the tools you need. It helps to have a friend to hold things.

If you change brake fluid, then get SpeedBleeders because any other technique isn't as easy. Two items: (1) use an SAE wrench; and (2) only 1/4 turn maybe 1/2 turn loosen otherwise you will get air leaks.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    I was instructed to clean my brake dust out every once in awhile to avoid wearing them out sooner.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

tire and pads-mileage depends on the driving-style ... my Kenda in the rear is almost gone now with 6000 miles, the PedalBox eats tires for 2nd breakfast my breakpads are fine, because I´m not breaking really, I´m using more my engine-break/throttle on twisty roads. In your case I would change tire and pads and start the season with a top-prepared bike and find your riding-style enjoy it
    modified 2020 F3-S for paraplegics including handbrake, wheelchairmount etc.
    2020 F3-S , pedalbox black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You do realize that " trailer tires " generally speaking are either 8" or 12" wheels .... this means they may be travelling 3 X's as much per mile than an Auto tire ..... I think that's why they wear out faster ..... Mike
    Trick idea someone else here mentioned. If you are towing a trailer carry a handheld laser temp gun with you and check the tires and hubs frequently for excessive heat build up. Hot hubs/tires will preempt a failure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tec35 View Post
    Thank you to everyone who answered all of it is good advice. I get the Spyder back tomorrow and will have to look at the tire. I am going to try to change breaks on my own when they need to be done. As for tire I am leaning towards a car tire but I have further research to do.
    Good idea not to jump, if you dealer is calling and saying you need some thing, make your own mind on when and what you do to your bike!! There are wear bars on the tires and usually wear indicators on bake pads, that give you a way to gauge weather is getting close to time to replaced! And in your owners manual they give you the spec's on suggested replacement thicknesses. Good luck, hope you can find a place to get the tires you want, installed for you!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I was able to easily replace my rear brake pads using a regular pair of needle nose pliers as the tool. Insert the tips into the holes in the caliper piston, push in and turn clockwise.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Good idea not to jump, if you dealer is calling and saying you need some thing, make your own mind on when and what you do to your bike!! There are wear bars on the tires and usually wear indicators on bake pads, that give you a way to gauge weather is getting close to time to replaced! And in your owners manual they give you the spec's on suggested replacement thicknesses. Good luck, hope you can find a place to get the tires you want, installed for you!!
    " wear indicators " on brake pads ....... there are on the OEM pads .... but not on EBC pads unless they have added them lately ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Trick idea someone else here mentioned. If you are towing a trailer carry a handheld laser temp gun with you and check the tires and hubs frequently for excessive heat build up. Hot hubs/tires will preempt a failure.
    Even better are the FOBO tire pressure checkers ..... to me they make waaaaaaaaaay more sense on a trailer than a Spyder ..... On a Spyder if you get a flat your going to realize it a long time before a trailer tire ....just sayin ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I swapped out my OEM brake pads at about the 9k mile mark for EBC HH pads. My OEM's were still about 50%, but like others, one side was wearing faster than the other. YMMV ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I swapped out my OEM brake pads at about the 9k mile mark for EBC HH pads. My OEM's were still about 50%, but like others, one side was wearing faster than the other. YMMV ...
    That is what my front left is doing right now at 7k , I found it while inspecting during my Quatrac install. Didn't really expect to have to do it so soon.

And it is only 1 pad that is getting thin. Hopefully the ones from Lamonster will wear more even.

If they don't I just may spring for the rotors next time and change them out as well.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

BajaRon has told me that brake pads should be changed when they get to 1mm, although they can be changed earlier if the owner prefers.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    That is what my front left is doing right now at 7k , I found it while inspecting during my Quatrac install. Didn't really expect to have to do it so soon.

And it is only 1 pad that is getting thin. Hopefully the ones from Lamonster will wear more even.

If they don't I just may spring for the rotors next time and change them out as well.
    Well better Pads should last longer .... However your pad wear issue sounds like something isn't right about thefact that they arn't wearing evenly. like the pins need cleaning and lubing. .... JMHO .... Mike