Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You do realize that " trailer tires " generally speaking are either 8" or 12" wheels .... this means they may be travelling 3 X's as much per mile than an Auto tire ..... I think that's why they wear out faster ..... Mike
    Without getting too off topic, from my experience, it's not the tread via distance that wears out the "average" travel trailer first but the walls of the tire giving out (especially if it's sitting in place weeks and months at a time). It's not too uncommon to see tire trailers with "like new" treads blowing out on the highway because the side walls gave out. In my "stupid years" of camping in a trailer I focused too much on the tread/mileage and not the age of the tire itself (me going one year too long on tires that "looked good" put plenty of damage to my camping trailer when the sidewall blew).

You're right though Mike, if you travel with a travel trailer constantly those smaller tires will "travel" more than an average auto tire. Plenty of factors here to consider and you definitely know more about tires than me. My point here was simply that a Spyder sitting on a tire going nowhere for months may have good tread...but all that sitting and aging of a tire isn't good either. The original owner of this Spyder only went an average of 3000 miles in 3 years on the Spyder (an average of only 1000 miles a year) with the second owner putting an additional 5000 miles on the same tires in the last year and a half. I personally would be worried about the age of the tire and replace them despite what the tread looked like (others may not and that's fine too).
    Last edited by BryanSD; 03-30-2022 at 10:36 AM.